[Sigmetrics] Replicability and the public/private divide

Loet Leydesdorff loet at leydesdorff.net
Wed Sep 30 04:08:18 EDT 2015

Replicability and the public/private divide
<http://arxiv.org/abs/1509.08798>

Letter to the Editor, forthcoming in the Journal of the Association for
Information Science and Technology.

In a recent letter, Carlos Vilchez-Román criticizes Bornmann et al. (2015)
for using data which cannot be reproduced without access to an in-house
version of the Web-of-Science (WoS) at the Max Planck Digital Libraries
(MPDL, Munich). We agree with the norm of replicability and therefore
returned to our data. Is the problem only a practical one of automation or
does the in-house processing add analytical value to the data? Is the newly
emerging situation in any sense different from a further professionalization
of the field? In our opinion, a political economy of science indicators has
in the meantime emerged with a competitive dynamic that affects the
intellectual organization of the field.

Loet Leydesdorff, Caroline Wagner, and Lutz Bornmann

* Available at http://arxiv.org/abs/1509.08798 ;
http://www.leydesdorff.net/top10

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff

Professor Emeritus, University of Amsterdam
Amsterdam School of Communication Research (ASCoR)

 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/
Honorary Professor,  <http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/> SPRU, University of
Sussex;