[Sigmetrics] The Scaling Relationship between Citation-Based Performance and Scientific Collaboration in Natural Sciences

Sylvan Katz j.s.katz at sussex.ac.uk
Tue Oct 20 10:51:31 EDT 2015

The Scaling Relationship between Citation-Based Performance and
Scientific Collaboration in Natural Sciences

The aim of this paper is to extend our knowledge about the power-law
relationship between citation based performance and collaboration
patterns for papers in the natural sciences. We analyzed 829,924
articles that received 16,490,346 citations. The number of articles
published through collaboration account for 89%. The citation-based
performance and collaboration patterns exhibit a power-law correlation
with a scaling exponent of 1.20 ± 0.07. Citations to a subfield’s
research articles tended to increase 2^1.20 or 2.30 times each time it
doubles the number of collaborative papers. The scaling exponent for the
power-law relationship for single-authored papers was 0.85 ± 0.11. The
citations to a subfield’s single-authored research articles increased
2^0.85 or 1.89 times each time the research area doubles the number of
non-collaborative papers. The Matthew effect is stronger for
collaborated papers than for single-authored. In fact, with a scaling
exponent < 1.0 the impact of single-author papers exhibits a cumulative
disadvantage or inverse Matthew effect.

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1510/1510.05266.pdf

--
Sylvan Katz