​About the size of Google Scholar: playing the numbers

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Thu Sep 18 09:06:22 EDT 2014

Enrique and Emilo,
Thank you for the kind offer to look over our working paper when we have it posted on arXiv.  We should have it posted by the week after next.  I have finished the first draft and sent it out to my collaborators for comment.  To whet your appetite, here is the title and abstract.

“POWER-LAW DISTRIBUTIONS, THE H-INDEX, AND GOOGLE SCHOLAR (GS) CITATIONS: A TEST OF THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH ECONOMICS NOBELISTS
Abstract
This paper comprises an analysis of whether Google Scholar (GS) can construct documentary sets relevant for the evaluation of the works of researchers.  The researchers analyzed were two samples of Nobelists in economics: an original sample of five laureates downloaded in September, 2011; and a validating sample of laureates downloaded in October, 2013.  Two methods were utilized to conduct this analysis.  The first is distributional.  Here it is shown that the distributions of the laureates’ works by total GS citations belong within the Lotkaian or power-law domain, whose major characteristic is asymptote or “tail” to the right.  It also proves that this asymptote is conterminous with the laureates’ h-indexes, which demarcate their core œuvre.  This overlap is proof of both the ability of GS to form relevant documentary sets and the validity of the h-index.  The second method is semantic.  This method shows that the extreme outliers at the right tip of the tail—a signature feature of the economists’ distributions—are not random events but related by subject to contributions to the discipline for which the laureates were awarded this prize.  Another interesting finding is the important role played by working papers in the dissemination of new economic knowledge.”
Since I am vetting these ideas, I decided to cc the entire list.  I hope that you not mind.
Respectfully,

Stephen J Bensman, Ph.D.
LSU Libraries
Lousiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
USA

From: riorma at gmail.com [mailto:riorma at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Enrique Orduña
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2014 1:20 AM
To: Stephen J Bensman
Cc: Emilio Delgado López-Cózar
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] ​About the size of Google Scholar: playing the numbers

Dear Stephen,

Thanks again for your email. Of course we will be pleased to have a look at your preprint once you finish it.

As regards your research focus, I understand what you mean. The topology of the net is meaninful itself, and sometimes the estructure becomes the information. The Eigenvector of each node can give us information about the most relevant pieces for an especific query. And net metrics are relevant here.

But this is just one way to look at Google Scholar (clearly of much interest). We just wanted to know a) the total number of nodes (considering node each bibliographical record), because this influence the documents available to conform the set of documents that fits a query, and b) If Google Scholar let us knowing this size.

Of course, the growth of total size is not going to affect neither the topology (at least at short term) nor the influence of particular nodes. Our focus were not in the connections of nodes (citations, mentions, links..) but on the proportion of current academic literature covered. Of course this is a first step, and we want to know more things now.

And do not worry...we usually go out on a limb too...

Enrique & Emilio