​About the size of Google Scholar: playing the numbers

Enrique Orduña riorma at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 18 08:20:16 EDT 2014

​Dear Yves, and colleagues:

Our apologies for the delayed response.

Slow bibliometrics... A good slogan for a society and science of hurry. At
a stroke you have smashed down our fashionable specialty trend in our
field. We refer to the ALTMETRICS, a world where everyone every hour
measure everything before you even find meaning to the meter and the
resulting measures.

But we live under the tyranny of the empire of the measure both on a
social level
(trending topics) and scientific level (h index). And we are afraid that
this is unstoppable because we measure vanity and narcissus, inherent in
scientific activity and human nature properties.

Maybe it is time to organize a new Bonfire of the Vanities. Anyway science
progresses only if experienced, and the world of metrics is no different.

Oh, as a best example, YES THIS: Sigmund Freud H index: 245. BUT is this
about who has the longest nose? ​

Enrique Orduña-Malea & Emilio Delgado