Web Archives as scholarly Sources: Issues, Practices and Perspectives

Amir Ramezani amir.ramezani.69 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 20 17:13:16 EDT 2014

A two-day conference, Aarhus University, Denmark, 8-10 June 2015

Organised by RESAW, Aarhus University, the State and University Library
(Denmark), the Royal Library (Denmark), l'Institut des sciences de la
communication du CNRS, Université de Lille 3, the Institute of Historical
Research (University of London), the University of Amsterdam, the British
Library, and Leibniz University Hannover/ALEXANDRIA.
Submission open

The second call for submissions is out, and the submission website is open
at http://events.netlab.dk/conference. Please note that the deadline for
submissions is 8 December. There will be no extension of this deadline.
Important dates

   - June 2014: first call for submissions
   - September 2014: second call for submissions and submissions open
   - 1 November 2014: third call for submissions
   - 8 December 2014: submissions due
   - 19 January: notification of acceptance
   - 9 March 2015: registrations for presenters open
   - 20 April 2015: papers uploaded
   - 20 April 2015: registrations for presenters close
   - 27 April 2015: registrations for non-presenters open
   - 11 May 2015: programme released
   - 25 May 2015: registrations for non-presenters close
   - 8-10 June 2015: Conference

Call for contributions

In March 2014, the web celebrated its twenty-fifth birthday. This vast
information resource is of enormous importance to scholars, both as a
primary source and as a means of networking and communication. It is,
however, strikingly ephemeral, and much important data has already been
lost. The archiving of this vast range of material, so that it is
accessible to both contemporary and future researchers, increasingly
occupies national memory institutions, and researchers are also beginning
to realise and explore its value. This conference seeks to explore the
potential of web archives for scholarly use, to highlight innovative
research, to investigate the challenges and opportunities of working with
the archived web, to identify opportunities for incorporating web archives
in learning and teaching, and to discuss and inform archival provision.
This multi-disciplinary conference is aimed at scholars, web archiving
institutions, web archivists, curators, IT-developers, companies and public
institutions interested in web archiving and research using web archives. In
conjunction with the overall topic of web archives, general areas of
interest include, but are not limited to:

   - the history(ies) of the web
   - the changing structure of the web
   - material culture and display in a digital context
   - political and literary reputation online
   - public engagement online
   - patterns of culture online
   - networks of social communication
   - the evolution of language on the web
   - the history of institutions and organisations online
   - the history of social and political movements on the web
   - the relationship between image, sound and text online
   - the web as a forum for commemoration
   - health and education online
   - using web archives in the classroom
   - national/international boundaries online
   - approaches to web archiving
   - research methods for studying the archived web
   - providing access to the archived web

This list is not exhaustive, and we are keen to attract the widest possible
range of topics.
Keynote speakers
[image: meghan_small]
<http://resaw.eu/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/meghan_small.png>
*Meghan Dougherty, Loyola University, Chicago*
*Virtual Digs: Finding a Material Record of Information Culture in Web
Archives*
Web archives preserve artifacts of rich lives lived with information. When
we archive traces of behaviors online, what are we collecting? How do we
conceptualize what we collect? How do we study these artifacts?
In a very practical sense, we can say researchers 'dig through' these
materials. We search. We piece together fragments. We struggle to organize,
sort, and find something in our data.
These artifacts and the lives they are evidence of constitute what could be
considered a virtual archeological field. Archaeological practices can be a
valuable guide for a broader discussion of research methods in Web history.
This keynote talk aims to critically interrogate what is - and is not -
present for researchers to collect, archive, and observe, what 'counts' as
data, and suggests alternatives to the surge toward "data," big or small.
[image: Ditte_1]
<http://resaw.eu/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Ditte_1.jpg>[image:
BjarneAndersen]
<http://resaw.eu/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/BjarneAndersen.jpg>
*Ditte Laursen & Bjarne Andersen, Netarkivet, the national Danish web
archive*
*Title TBA*
Abstract TBA.
Submissions

Submissions are welcomed from all sectors and disciplines, and we would
particularly encourage postgraduate students and early career researchers
to apply.

   - Short papers - individual papers of 15 minutes' length (short
   abstract, of no more than 500 words, and a one-page CV). A written paper of
   no more than 1,500 words must be handed in before the conference (the paper
   will be made available for all participants). Presenters will be asked to
   act as commentator on one other paper in the same session. To encourage
   discussion the following format is used: presenter (10 min.), commentator
   (5 min.), open discussion (5. min.).
   - Long papers - individual papers of 30 minutes' length (short abstract,
   of no more than 500 words, and a one-page CV). A written paper of no more
   than 2,500 words must be handed in before the conference (the paper will be
   made available for all participants). Presenters will be asked to act as
   commentator on one other paper in the same session. To encourage discussion
   the following format is used: presenter (15 min.), commentator (5 min.),
   open discussion (10. min.).
   - Panel sessions - consisting of three short papers, introduced by a
   chair (short abstract for each paper, of no more than 500 words, a brief
   description of the purpose of the session, and a one-page CV for all
   speakers)
   - Posters and demonstrations (short abstract, of no more than 300 words,
   and a one-page CV).
   - Workshops (a 350-word rationale for the workshop, including discussion
   of why the topic lends itself to a workshop format, and a two-page CV for
   the workshop organiser(s)).

Acceptance will be on the basis of double-blind peer review.
Registration

Participation as well as coffee and lunch are free of charge. Participants
must pay for dinner, travel and accomodation themselves. Priority is given
to presenters. Details about registration to be announced.
*website:* http://resaw.eu/events/international-conference-aarhus-june-2015/

*Best Regards*
*Amir Ramezani*
MSc Student of Medical Library & Information Sciences
Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
School of Health Management and Information Sciences
*Website: *www.databanks.ir
*Emails:*

   - ramezani.a at tak.iums.ac.ir
   - amir.ramezani.69 at hotmail.com