The funder identification problem

David Wojick dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US
Thu May 29 16:20:45 EDT 2014

Dear all,
Here is an excerpt from the May 8 issue of Inside Public Access that gives
the flavor of the funder identification problem. It is a very interesting
challenge.

"The complexity of Federal Funder identification

The core challenge in the US Public Access program is to precisely identify
the funders of the research that leads to a given journal article. This
sounds easy but it can be a difficult and complex process. The US
Government is a vast and complex organization, with hundreds of different
offices sponsoring research. Moreover, each office can be referred to in
many different ways, creating a major name disambiguation problem in the
funder data.

CHORUS and FundRef are attacking this funder identification problem using a
standardized menu of funder names and DOIs. The basic idea is that the
submitting author will pick out the standard names of all the offices that
contributed to the research that underlies the submitted article. Again
this sounds simple but it is not, because building a comprehensive taxonomy
of all possible funders is far from simple.

To begin with they have elected to build this menu to identify all the
funders in the world, not just the US Federal funders. As a result the menu
of funders already has six thousands names and it will probably have many
thousands more before it stabilizes. The size of the funder list alone thus
creates a big discovery problem, because many funders have similar names.

Then there is the hierarchy problem, especially within the vast US
Government complex. Funding offices occur at many different scales, which
are arranged within one another in the tree-like organization chart. For
example in the US Energy Department there may be five or more layers of
funding offices. Saying which layer should be named in the funding data for
a given article is not simple. Moreover if offices in different layers are
named for different articles, then the resulting data will have to somehow
be aggregated by layer in order to be useful. To make matters worse there
are also cross cutting programs that involve multiple offices. In short any
taxonomy of US Federal funding offices is going to be a complex system, not
a simple listing.

Given these complexities it may be better to have an editor name the
funders based on the acknowledgements section of the article, rather than
presenting the author with a complex taxonomy of possible funders. There
seems to be some experimentation in this direction, but it is a labor
intensive solution. The question is also whether the resulting data would
be accurate enough for agency purposes; given that acknowledgement has been
a relatively informal process. There is also the question of when to
collect this funder data, given the labor involved. Should it be upon
submission or after acceptance?"

David
http://insidepublicaccess.com/