High Time To Start Getting Serious About Open Access

Stevan Harnad harnad at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK
Wed May 28 15:52:17 EDT 2014

On May 28, 2014, at 11:00 AM, David Wojick <dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US> wrote:

> Actually it is just $10 per issue, Stevan (500 divided by 50), so pretty cheap.

That’s not what the site says:

http://insidepublicaccess.com/issues.html#list%20of%20issues:

Purchase single issue from list above -- $20.00

> And while I am indeed just one individual, I pioneered the design of Federal regulatory
> programs like the US Public Access program.

That the US has a Public Access program at all is a very good thing (and due mostly to the
pioneering efforts of Heather Joseph, Peter Suber and Harold Varmus).

But the design of tje US Public Access program so far is terrible, on every substantive point:

Means of deposit
Locus of deposit
Timing of Deposit
Embargo Policy
Implementation
Monitoring

> See http://davidwojick.blogspot.com/2014/03/engineer-tackles-regulatory-confusion.html .
> I even have a diagnostic system of 126 kinds of confusion in such programs, which is freely
> available at http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2013/02/05/a-taxonomy-of-confusions/ .
> For that matter I have 30 Scholarly Kitchen articles, most of which are about the US Public
> Access program, freely available at http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/author/dwojick/,
> if people want to sample my expertise. But the research costs money so I have to use a
> subscription model. As the saying goes, somebody has to pay for the work.

There is a good deal of open access research on Open Access and Open Access policies,
by different researchers (Bjork/Laakso, Bollen, Gargouri, Giles, Houghton, Solomon, Swan,
Thelwall), all of them doing it for research purposes and for open access, and not charging
a penny. Much  of it appears in peer-reviewed journals (rather than the Scholarly Kitchen,
and much of the research is based on empirical studies rather than “expert opinion.”

> Public Access is going to be a massive and complex program.

It need not be. All funders and institutions need to do is to both adopt a convergent immediate-deposit
mandate requiring immediate deposit of the refereed final draft in the researcher’s own institutional
repository, immediately upon acceptance for publication (with the repository’s Request-Copy Button
implemented for embargoed deposits) as a precondition for research funding, renewal, research
assessment, and institutional performance review.

Institutions will then monitor and ensure timely compliance, the Button will tide over research
user needs during any allowable OA embargo period, and deposit metadata and links can be
harvested by any central repository.

That is neither massive nor complex: it’s local and tractable — and it’s already being successfully
implemented in Europe, for example, in the UK and Belgium.

HEFCE/REF Adopts Optimal Complement to RCUK OA Mandate

> One can get the flavor of the emerging complexity from the new CHORUS Implementation Guide.
> See http://chorusaccess.org/chorus-publisher-implementation-guide/. In fact I will analyze this Guide
> for confusions in this week's issue of Inside Public Access.

Chorus is all by and for publishers. It is best ignored completely by researchers, their institutions and
their funders. OA and OA policy are not about publishers. It is, blessedly, out of publisher hands, even
if some publisher consultants would like to keep them there…

"CHORUS": Yet Another Trojan Horse from the Publishing Industry

Potential CHORUS catastrophe for OA: How to fend it off

Revealing Dialogue on "CHORUS" with David Wojick, OSTI Consultant

First Things First

Stevan Harnad