UK consultation on the future of metrics in research assessment

Ismael Rafols ismaelrafols at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 2 08:54:48 EDT 2014

Please find below a message by my colleague Prof. James Wilsdon (SPRU,
Sussex),
on a call for evidence on the use of metrics in research assessment.

See also Paul Wouter's blog tody on this topic here:
http://citationculture.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/metrics-in-research-assessment-under-review/

Ismael Rafols, Ingenio (CSIC-UPV) & SPRU (Sussex)

Dear colleagues,

On behalf of HEFCE (the UK’s Higher Education Funding Council), I’m
chairing an independent review of the use of metrics in research management
and assessment.

The review will help to lay the foundations for the next cycle of the UK’s
Research Excellence Framework, and we hope that our report – due out in
spring 2015 – will also be of interest to research funders, university
managers and science/research policy scholars and policymakers
internationally.

We’ve just issued a formal call for evidence for the review, details of
which are available here:
*http://www.hefce.ac.uk/whatwedo/rsrch/howfundr/metrics/
<http://www.hefce.ac.uk/whatwedo/rsrch/howfundr/metrics/>*

We’d very much welcome evidence and other submissions to this call from a
wide range of perspectives.  I hope some within the SciSIP community might
be interested and able to provide some input. Please feel free to drop me a
line if you’d like more information.

With thanks,

James Wilsdon

James Wilsdon
Professor of Science & Democracy
SPRU – Science & Technology Policy Research
University of Sussex, UK

*Email *      j.wilsdon at sussex.ac.uk
* Web*         www.sussex.ac.uk/spru
* Twitter*   http://twitter.com/jameswilsdon