Enquiry about growth in articles

Al Henderson chessnic at COMPUSERVE.COM
Mon Jun 23 10:08:58 EDT 2014

I'm not familiar with a 3% estimate of growth. The 5% (or exponential doubling every 15 years) rate has a long history beginning with Derek de Solla Price, Science Since Babylon. In the 1990s, I edited a series of 28 articles reflecting the growth of bibliographic database records for Publishing Research Quarterly. You will find it issued as a book titled Electronic Databases and Publishing (Transaction, 1998). I also summarized the literature in an article, "Diversity and the Growth of Serious / Scholarly / Scientific Journals," in Scholarly Publishing, ed. by R E Abel and L W Newlin (Wiley, 2002)

Best wishes,

Albert Henderson, former editor Publishing Research Quarterly

-----Original Message-----
From: Pippa Smart <pippa.smart at GMAIL.COM>
To: SIGMETRICS <SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU>
Sent: Thu, Jun 19, 2014 4:26 am
Subject: [SIGMETRICS] Enquiry about growth in articles

I have a recollection of reading an article recently which estimated that the growth in the number of articles to be greater than the previously estimated 3% annually. (I remember something in the region of c.5% annually over the past two decades?).

I cannot find the article - does anyone in the group know of this and can you tell me?
With thanks,

Pippa

*****
Pippa Smart
Research Communication and Publishing Consultant
PSP Consulting
3 Park Lane, Appleton, Oxon OX13 5JT, UK
Tel: +44 1865 864255 or +44 7775 627688
email: pippa.smart at gmail.com
Web: www.pspconsulting.org
****
Editor of the ALPSP-Alert, Reviews editor of Learned Publishing
****