Peer Review Scandals

Dowman P Varn dpv at COMPLEXMATTER.ORG
Mon Jul 21 19:41:16 EDT 2014

Davis & Stephen,

I come from a physics background, and much what you discuss bears little
resemblance to the facts on the ground. No one given a manuscript would
ever try to replicate the results. It could take months of full time work,
and is simply an unreasonable burden on the reviewer. Science would just
stop.

The purpose of peer-review (and yes, I use that term in the sense of an
expert reading and evaluating a manuscript for publication, as this is the
common vernacular in my field) is not to ensure that the results are
correct. Instead, peer review seeks to determine if the paper has obvious
mistakes or omissions, if it is original, and that if it is relevant to the
journal. It also checks that the conclusions made by the authors are
supported by the evidence presented, and that the work is presented in a
way the other experts in the field will understand. And that's about it.
And, to my mind, that's all it should be.

For a philosophical point of view, I can't imagine that journals are meant
to be repository of the one and true knowledge. Journals are discussions
amongst experts. And experts disagree. If the answer really were known,
then there'd be no reason for the journal, it'd be on Wikipedia. Journals
are a place where experts can exchange methods, results, opinions,
calculations, observations, and the like. I don't read a journal article as
gospel, but rather as a document where I cast the onus on the authors to
convince me of something. Often I'm not convinced. There are entire little
subfields that, in my opinion, are founded on flawed assumptions, and
therefore the conclusions reached are dubious. I recognise that that is
just my opinion, and I don't begrudge them (too much) for the work they do,
because I realise that I may be wrong.

As for the issue of fraud, peer review is not the place to catch it, unless
it is rather inartfully done. How can say that an observation wasn't made?
How can I say that the result of a detailed calculation is wrong? I'm not
going to do it myself. As a reviewer, I can point out the objections and
concerns of a expert, perhaps many that the authors had yet to consider,
but at the end of the day, it is their contribution to the conversation. If
they have something interesting to say, can explain it in a reasonable way,
and are sufficiently familiar with the state of field to discuss it
intelligently, who am I to say they are wrong? That is for the community to
decide. And, in my opinion, that is how science should work.

Best regards,

Dowman

--

Email: dpv at complexmatter.org