Peer Review Scandals

Dowman P Varn dpv at COMPLEXMATTER.ORG
Fri Jul 18 15:08:13 EDT 2014

David,

Your first point is spot-on, but I must take issue with the second.
Repeatability of experimental work is a cornerstone of science. While some
observations are inherently unrepeatable, for example the discovery of a
rare fossil, others are not. For example, the cold fusion debacle of the
late 80's and early 90's revolved around the inability of numerous other
groups to repeat the experiment. While unrepeatability may be due to
factors other than a mistake in the original research, we'd be foolish not
to consider failed efforts to repeat an experiment as evidence of error in
the original. Perhaps not decisive evidence, but compelling evidence
nonetheless.

Regards,

Dowman

--
Dowman P Varn, PhD

University of California, One Shields Ave
Davis, CA 95616

Cell: 646.228.7256
Email: dpv at complexmatter.org
Web site: wissenplatz.org