AW: [SIGMETRICS] Is The Science of Science As A Field of Study In Its Own Right Alive Or Dead?

Clifford Miller cliffordmiller at CLIFFORDMILLER.COM
Mon Feb 17 05:21:43 EST 2014

Haiko,

Thank you.  That is helpful.  I have now read the downloadable contents,
preface and sample chapter.

As these emails go to all on the list I had better curtail them now but
with my thanks in advance to any of you who might provide any further
information by email in response to the questions I have posed.

Bibliometrics, scientometrics and informetrics appear to address the
kinds of fruit there are on the tree of knowledge and things like their
size, relative abundance, how fast they grow or wither.  We can gain
information about the infrastructure of science and its dynamics over time.

I would expect the core of a science of science to tell us also about
the common characteristics and natures of each kind of fruit and their
differences, the nature of what they contain and how one might reproduce
them independently.

So by analogy, one aspect is telling us about the tree and about what
kinds of fruit are found on it.  The other aspect - the core - should
tell us what what each fruit is made of, how it is constructed and how
it might taste and smell and its differences from and common
characteristics with the other fruit.