Mapping Science

Irina Shaikevich ishaikev at MAIL.RU
Wed Feb 5 02:50:19 EST 2014

 Dear Prof. Borner,
my name is Irina Marshakova-Shaikevich. I am sending some my maps of science published in the large period from 1970-2010. Maybe those maps will be interesing for you.
Best regards,
Irina M-Sh
The maps of Laser research is presented at dr Garfield web site

Вторник, 28 января 2014, 7:46 -05:00 от Katy Borner <katy at INDIANA.EDU>:
>Dear all,
>the deadline for the below call for maps is approaching quickly.
>James Burke, British broadcaster, science historian, author,
      and television producer  as well as other visionaries, but
    also experts from major government agencies agreed to join the
    reviewer team.

      wrote:
>>Call
                  for Maps for the 10th Iteration of the  Places
                    & Spaces: Mapping Science Exhibit on “The
                  Future of Science Mapping” (2014) http://www.scimaps.org/call

>>Background

            and Goals
>>The  Places & Spaces: Mapping Science exhibit was
          created to inspire cross-disciplinary discussion on how to
          best track and communicate human activity and scientific
          progress on a global scale. It has two components: (1)
          physical exhibits enable the close inspection of high- quality
          reproductions of large-scale maps for display at public places
          such as science museums and libraries as well as at
          conferences and (2) the online counterpart ( http://scimaps.org ) provides easy access to zoomable maps,
          their descriptions and references as well as information on
          their makers.
>>Places
            & Spaces is a 10-year effort. Each year,
          10 new maps are added, which will result in 100 maps total in
          2014. Each iteration of the exhibit attempts to highlight
          outstanding examples of visualization design. To accomplish
          this goal, each iteration compares and contrasts four existing
          maps with six new maps of science. Themes for the different
          iterations are:
>>*  1st Iteration (2005): The Power
            of Maps
>>*  2nd Iteration (2006): The Power
            of Reference Systems
>>*  3rd Iteration (2007): The Power
            of Forecasts
>>*  4th Iteration (2008): Science
            Maps for Economic Decision Makers
>>*  5th Iteration (2009): Science
            Maps for Science Policy Makers
>>*  6th Iteration (2010): Science
            Maps for Scholars
>>*  7th Iteration (2011): Science
            Maps as Visual Interfaces to Digital Libraries
>>*  8th Iteration (2012): Science
            Maps for Kids
>>*  9th Iteration (2013): Science
            Maps Showing Trends and Dynamics
>>*  10th Iteration (2014): The
            Future of Science Mapping

>>Places & Spaces was first shown at the Annual
          Meeting of the Association of American Geographers in April
          2005. Since then, the physical exhibit has been displayed at
          over 250 venues in 23 countries, including 15 in Europe, as
          well as Japan, China, Brazil, Chile, South Africa, Australia,
          Canada, and the United States. A schedule of all display
          locations can be found at  http://scimaps.org/exhibitions . Submission

          Details
>>The 10th
          and final iteration of the exhibit is devoted to maps of
          science that point to the future of the practice itself. Micro
          to macro studies using quantitative and/or qualitative data
          are welcome, and mixed methods approaches are encouraged. Maps
          should be understandable by a general audience and might
          answer questions such as:
>>*  How
            does the structure and dynamics of science evolve?
>>*    How
            does science interact with technology?
>>*  How can
            developments in science and technology be communicated to a
            general audience?
>>*  How can
            maps of science achieve more extensive and more accurate
            coverage?
>>*  How can
            maps of science be updated in near-real time?
>>*    How
            does science overlap with other areas of human endeavor and
            interest?
>>*  How do predictions of scientific
            developments impact the course of history—i.e., can
            self-fulfilling prophecies be prevented?
>>To fit
          the theme of the 10 th iteration, submissions should
          innovate on one or more topics such as:
>>*  New
            data sources—social media, stock market, philanthropy, and
            other data that captures S&T activities.
>>*  New
            hardware and software setups—multi-modal man-machine
            symbioses that combine analog human wet-ware and digital
            computer hard+software to achieve superior capabilities.
>>*  Proof
            of concept—science maps that are widely used.
>>*  Validation—results

            of user evaluation and algorithm cross-validation studies.
>>*  Standards—well

            defined, widely shared data formats, analysis and
            visualization workflows, but also visual languages.

>>Given the topic of this iteration, two types of submissions
          are welcome: (1) Photographs or conceptual sketches of future
          innovative science map usage—see  Otlet’s Mondothèque for inspiration. Ideally, the
          proposed interface or novel usage are
          paradigm-shifting—disruptive ideas are most welcome.    (2) A visual rendering of a
          dataset together with a legend, textual description, and
          acknowledgements as required to interpret the map. Maps can be
          abstract, geographical, or feature-based (e.g., network
          layout), but are typically richer than simple x-y plots. Data
          can be used to generate a reference system over which other
          data—e.g., career trajectories—are overlaid. Data can also be
          projected onto an existing reference system (e.g., a map of
          the world). Maps should present fully formed ideas and
          analysis; they should not be simple sketches of “what we plan
          to do.” See  this PDF map collection for an overview of the 90 maps
          already featured in the exhibit. Given the theme of this
          iteration, links to interactive web sites, hands-on displays,
          or interactive tools are strongly encouraged.
>>Each initial entry must be
          submitted by January 31st, 2014, and needs to include:
>>*  Low-resolution version of map
>>*  Title of work
>>*  Author(s) name, email address,
            affiliation, mailing address
>>*  Copyright holder (if different
            from authors)
>>*  Description of work: learning
            objectives addressed, data used, data analysis,
            visualization techniques applied, and main insights gained
            (100-300 words)
>>*  References to publications or
            online sites in which the map appeared
>>*  Links to related projects/works
>>*  At least three keywords
>>
>>Entries should be submitted via EasyChair  by clicking here . Submit map as pdf file. Enter
          author info, a title, and three keywords. Submit all other
          information via the ‘Abstract’ field. Review
          Process
>>All
          submissions will be reviewed by the exhibit advisory board.
          Submissions will be evaluated in terms of
>>*  Scientific value —quality of data collection, analysis and
            communication of results in support of clearly stated
            learning objectives. Appropriate and innovative application
            of existing algorithms and/or development of new approaches.
            This criteria includes the notion of relevance—submissions
            should showcase the “future".
>>*  Value for decision making —what major insight does the
            map provide and why does it matter? Is the map easy to
            understand by a general audience? Does it inspire viewers to
            learn more about science and technology?
>>Final
            Submission
>>Authors of winning entries will be contacted in late February
          and invited to submit final entries by April 30th, 2014. Each
          final entry should consist of:
            landscape version of map using provided template at  http://scimaps.org/exhibit/images/Matte_300DPI.psd (13.9 MB)
>>*  Official map description (200
            words)
>>*  Biographies for all authors
            (about 100 words each)
>>*  High resolution portraits of
            all authors that are no smaller than 360 x 450 pixels, or
            1.2" x 1.5" at 300 dpi. Larger is always better since we can
            always crop them down to our specific needs for both print
            and web.
>>*  Signed copyright and
            reproduction agreement

>>Map makers are welcome to use the expertise and resources of
          the exhibit curators and designers when designing and
          producing high resolution versions of final maps. The layout
          and production of the 10th iteration maps are expected to be
          ready for display by mid-June, 2014.
>>Winning
          mapmakers will be invited to submit a ~1500 word paper for
          inclusion in a special  Places
            & Spaces edition (October 2014) of the ASIST
          Bulletin, which is widely read, referenced, and used in
          classrooms. These papers should include the information from
          the official map description along with additional detail on
          data, methods, and how the maps and visuals can be
          interpreted. Submissions will be due by June 30, 2014. Boyack
          and Börner, the editors of the special issue, will work
          closely with the authors to create copy-ready papers.  Important
          Dates
>>Submit
          initial entries: January 31st, 2014
>>Notification to mapmakers: February 28th, 2014
>>Submit final entries: April 30th, 2014
>>ASIST Bulletin paper (~1500 words): June 30, 2014
>>10th iteration ready for display: June 30th, 2014
>>Exhibit
            Advisory Board
>>*  Gary Berg-Cross, Spatial
            Ontology Community of Practice (SOCoP)
>>*  Bob Bishop, ICES Foundation
>>*  Kevin W. Boyack, SciTech
            Strategies, Inc.
>>*  Donna Cox, Illinois eDream
            Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
>>*  Bonnie DeVarco, Media X,
            Stanford University
>>*  Sara Irina Fabrikant, Geography
            Department, University of Zürich, Switzerland
>>*  Marjorie Hlava, Access
            Innovations
>>*  Peter A. Hook, Doctoral
            Candidate, Indiana University
>>*  Manuel Lima, Royal Society of
            Arts, Microsoft Bing, VisualComplexity.com
>>*  Deborah MacPherson,
            Accuracy&Aesthetics
>>*  Lev Manovich, Computer Science,
            The Graduate Center, City University of New York
>>*  Carlo Ratti, Professor and
            Director of SENSEable City Laboratory, Massachusetts
            Institute of Technology
>>*  Eric Rodenbeck, Stamen Design
>>*  André Skupin, Professor of
            Geography, San Diego State University
>>*  Moritz Stefaner, Freelance
            Designer
>>*  Stephen Uzzo, New York Hall of
            Science
>>*  Caroline Wagner, Battelle
            Center for Science and Technology Policy and John Glenn
            School for Public Affairs, Ohio State University
>>*  Benjamin Wiederkehr, Founder,
            InteractiveThings.com

          regarding the judging process to Todd Theriault ( ttheriau at indiana.edu ) and use the subject heading “10 th Iteration Inquiry.”
>>--
Katy Borner
Victor H. Yngve Professor of Information Science
Director, CI for Network Science Center, http://cns.iu.edu
Curator, Mapping Science exhibit, http://scimaps.org

ILS, School of Informatics and Computing, Indiana University
Wells Library 021, 1320 E. Tenth Street, Bloomington, IN 47405, USA
Phone: (812) 855-3256  Fax: -6166