STI conference Leiden--Quality standards for evaluation indicators

Ismael Rafols ismaelrafols at GMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 28 04:21:34 EDT 2014

Thanks Loet,

the role of professional standards is indeed to certify good practices and
this may not have neutral effects --notice that I say "professional"
standards. The debate is precisely (thanks for stressing it!) WHICH form of
standardisation is desirable given that there is discontent among users
about the proliferations of metrics (some of dubious reliability), and
there are initiatives setting de facto standards (
http://www.snowballmetrics.com/) without wider stakeholder engagement.

As Jochen Gläser pointed out last year, one may want to distinguish
professional practices -offered to users, which have professional
repercussions and can do good or harm-- from from scientometric research.
Just the same way that you distinguish between medical practices with
patients from experimentation with mice in the lab. Medical standards do
not suppress research in the lab --though do pose ethical questions on how
research is conducted.

We look forward to the discussion next week!

Ismael