How might an institution monitor immediate deposit?

Stevan Harnad amsciforum at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 6 11:08:54 EDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Haak, Laurel <l.haak at orcid.org> wrote:

One more option:  by the end of the year, ORCID will be enabling the option
> for publishers (or via CrossRef) to write updates to ORCID records for
> accepted manuscripts that include an authenticated ORCID identifier.  The
> ORCID registry maintains information on date of post and source of post.
> This means repositories can query the ORCID registry to get information on
> newly published items.

I think this would be a Trojan Horse if it were relied upon as a substitute
for (rather than just a supplement to) the direct institutional
verification system I proposed below.

On no account should either the fulfillment or the timing of compliance
with funder or institutional OA mandates be entrusted to publishers,
because of the profound conflict of interest.

It is in the interests of research, researchers, their institutions, their
funders and the public whose taxes fund the research that the research
should be deposited and made OA as soon as possible.

It is in the interests of (some) publishers that the research should be
deposited and made OA as late as possible. (That is why (some) publishers
try to embargo
<https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&lr=&q=harnad%20OR%20Harnad%20OR%20archivangelism+blogurl:http://openaccess.eprints.org/&ie=UTF-8&tbm=blg&tbs=qdr:m&num=100&c2coff=1&safe=active&gws_rd=ssl#c2coff=1&hl=en&q=embargo+blogurl:http:%2F%2Fopenaccess.eprints.org%2F&safe=active&tbm=blg>
OA.
And that is why CHORUS
<https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&lr=&q=harnad%20OR%20Harnad%20OR%20archivangelism+blogurl:http://openaccess.eprints.org/&ie=UTF-8&tbm=blg&tbs=qdr:m&num=100&c2coff=1&safe=active&gws_rd=ssl#c2coff=1&hl=en&q=chorus+blogurl:http://openaccess.eprints.org/&safe=active&tbas=0&tbm=blg>,
which tries to keep publishers in control of both OA-provision and its
timing is likewise a Trojan Horse.)

Not only are publishers not obligated to provide the acceptance date to
ORCID or anyone other than the author, but by the time they posted the
acceptance date in ORCID (if they did so at all) the article would already
have been published! And the whole point of the requirement to deposit at
acceptance is *to make sure deposit is actually done at acceptance*, not
just to find out when it should have been done, long after the fact!

The solution is very clear and simple: Authors deposit their own final
drafts in their own institutional repositories, immediately upon acceptance
for publication. The acceptance letter itself is either co-deposited with
the draft, to confirm the date, or the date of acceptance is entered as
part of the draft's deposit metadata, and the acceptance letter is retained
in the author's records, for audit as compliance is monitored. The deposit
date metadatum and the acceptance date metadatum can be automatically
compared by software to ensure timely deposit.

ORCID data (where available) can be used retrospectively, if desired, to
compare with the institution's own repository metadata, as a supplement.

Stevan Harnad