advice on tracking article level metrics (UNCLASSIFIED)

David Wojick dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US
Wed Oct 30 08:46:07 EDT 2013

Nancy,

You might try looking at the spread of the language. Articles frequently
introduce new language, sometimes coining words but more often coining
descriptive phrases. This is because every research article (as opposed to
review articles) is talking about something new in the world, or it would
not be published. New language is often required to do this. "Quantum dot"
for example.

The spread of this language may be an important marker for the spread of
the idea introduced in the article, which is what we sometimes mean by
impact. I call it natural citation (thus creating new language). Note that
since impact tends to be a diffusion process we do not try to track all the
paths. Hence the idea of a marker.

David