The Science "Sting" and Pre-Green Fee-Based Fool's Gold vs. Post-Green No-Fault Fair-Gold

Stevan Harnad amsciforum at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 6 09:32:07 EDT 2013

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM, Paul Colin de Gloucester <
Colin_Paul_Gloster at acm.org> wrote:

*SH:* The natural way to charge for the service of peer review then will be
> on a  "no-fault basis," with the author's institution or funder paying for
> each round of refereeing, *regardless of outcome (acceptance,
> revision/re-refereeing, or rejection)*. This will minimize cost
> while protecting against inflated acceptance rates and decline in
> quality standards."
>

> *CPG:* The cost of refereeing would be more than nothing, and many
> journals do not pay referees.

I didn't say it would be nothing; I said it would be minimal (compared to
subscription revenues, per article: $1000-5000+). I also did not say
referees would be or should be paid: it is the management of the refereeing
process (picking referees and adjudicating referee reports and revisions)
that I estimated would cost about $200 per round of no-fault refereeing.

Many thanks for the references to the non-OA stings, below.

Stevan Harnad