FW: Join the Impact Factor Insurrection; Sign DORA

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Tue May 21 23:03:43 EDT 2013

Fyi.

Best,

Loet

From: ASCB Information <ascbinfo at ascb.org>
Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:54 PM

Subject: Join the Impact Factor Insurrection; Sign DORA

  <http://ascb.org/images/Mailers/2012logo.png>

Dear ASCB Current and Lapsed Members,

ASCB is leading a "scholarly insurrection," with the San Francisco
Declaration on Research Assessment, DORA for short, to reduce the impact of
journal impact factors (JIF) on scientific assessment. Our allies include
AAAS, HHMI, EMBO, and numerous other societies, institutions, and
individuals. JIF were created for buying library subscriptions, but they
have been misused as an all-purpose metric to assess the quality of science.
This is deeply flawed, so the coalition wants to steer the scientific
community back to a focus on the content of papers, not the impact factor of
the journal where they happen to be published.

Please help us spread the word about DORA: http://am.ascb.org/dora/
<http://ASCB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT0yMzYxNjc4JnA9MSZ1PTc2ODM2MDYwNCZsaT0xM
jExNTkwMw/index.html> . We hope you will sign the declaration, and encourage
all your scientific colleagues to do so as well.

We started with 155 individual and 78 institutional signers. In three
business days, the numbers have grown to over 800 and over 100,
respectively. But we are aiming for 5,000 signers, so we need your help!

Thanks for helping ASCB and the entire scientific community with this
important initiative.

Stefano Bertuzzi
ASCB Executive Director

The American Society for Cell Biology
8120 Woodmont Avenue, Suite 750 | Bethesda, MD 20814-2762, USA
Phone: 301-347-9300 | Fax: 301-347-9310 | ASCB Website
<http://ASCB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT0yMzYxNjc4JnA9MSZ1PTc2ODM2MDYwNCZsaT0xM
jExNTkwNA/index.html>
To unsubscribe from all future ASCB general information emails click here
<http://ASCB.informz.net/ASCB/default.asp?action=u&email=garciaml@missouri.e
du&mi=2361678&fid=836> .

<http://ASCB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT0yMzYxNjc4JnA9MSZ1PTc2ODM2MDYwNCZsaT0xM
jExNTkwNQ/index.html> Twitter
<http://ASCB.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT0yMzYxNjc4JnA9MSZ1PTc2ODM2MDYwNCZsaT0xM
jExNTkwNg/index.html> Facebook

<http://pod3.informz.net/z/cmVkOC5hc3A_dT03NjgzNjA2MDQmbWk9MjM2MTY3OCZsPTE/i
ndex.html> Informz for iMIS

<http://ASCB.informz.net/z/cmVkNi5hc3A_bWk9MjM2MTY3OCZ1PTc2ODM2MDYwNCZiPTMyN
zc/image.gif>

**
The Science of Team Science (SciTS) listserv facilitates conversation among
individuals who are engaged in, studying, or managing team science, in the
US and internationally. The listserv is maintained collaboratively by the
SciTS Team at the National Cancer Institute, Division of Cancer Control and
Population Sciences, Behavioral Research Program
(http://cancercontrol.cancer.gov/brp/scienceteam) at the NIH, the
Northwestern University Clinical and Translational Sciences (NUCATS)
Institute (http://www.nucats.northwestern.edu), the Northwestern Institute
for Complexity (NICO) at Northwestern University (http://
<http://www.nico.northwestern.edu> www.nico.northwestern.edu), and the
Science of Networks in Communities (SONIC) Research Group at Northwestern
University (http://sonic.northwestern.edu).

TO SUBSCRIBE:
Send an email with a blank subject line to: listserv at list.nih.gov. The
message body should read: subscribe SciTSlist [your full name]. Please do
not include the brackets. For example, for Robin Smith to subscribe, the
message would read: subscribe SciTSlist Robin Smith. You will receive a
confirmation email.

TO UNSUBSCRIBE:
Send an email with a blank subject line to: listserv at list.nih.gov. The
message body should read: SIGNOFF SCITSLIST.

TO POST TO THE LISTSERV:
Send an email to SciTSlist at list.nih.gov. Any subscriber may post to the
list.

TO VIEW THE ARCHIVES:
To view the archives of all previous postings, go to:
http://list.nih.gov/archives/SciTSlist.html

TO RECEIVE MESSAGES IN A DAILY DIGEST:
The default setting sends you each message as it is posted to the listserv.
To receive one daily digest, instead, go to:
http://list.nih.gov/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=SciTSlist
<http://list.nih.gov/cgi-bin/wa.exe?SUBED1=SciTSlist&A=1> &A=1 and select
"digest" as your subscription type.

TECHNICAL PROBLEMS WITH YOUR SUBSCRIPTION?
Contact the list administrator, Judy Kuan, at: kuanj at mail.nih.gov. Please be
sure to state that your email is in reference to the SciTS listserv.