Paper of possible interest to Sig Metrics readers

Olle Persson olle.persson at SOC.UMU.SE
Mon Mar 25 06:42:19 EDT 2013

Alalehto, T., & Persson, O. (2012). The Sutherland tradition in criminology: a bibliometric story. Criminal justice studies.

In this article, we provide an overview of the body of knowledge associated with the Sutherland tradition in criminology. We track Sutherland's impact through a bibliometric analysis of papers citing any of Sutherland's works and by focusing on publications that are co-cited with Sutherland. This approach enables us to visualize Sutherland's role in relation to the forerunners and founding fathers of criminology during his own active period, to his followers, and to contemporary scholars. The dataset consisted of 2596 genuine articles that cite at least one of Sutherland's publications, in which he appears as first author in Web of Science TM published between 1955 and 2010. The results show a clear impact of the Sutherland tradition more or less throughout the twentieth century, peaking during the 1930s and 1940s and decreasing in the 1990s, when the Sutherland tradition was more powerfully challenged, primarily by the life-course tradition.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/1478601X.2012.706753