AW: Possible change in WOS-data around 2004?

Bowman, Benjamin bowman at BIOCHEM.MPG.DE
Mon Mar 4 09:48:18 EST 2013

In an article by P.O.Larsen and M. von Ins (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2909426/ ) there is a table showing quantitative changes in journal coverage for SCIE and SSCI from 1997 to 2009  (Table 7). According to these numbers, there were no dramatic changes around 2004, but certainly between 2008/2009. This also reflects our own observations.

Kind regards,
Ben Bowman
Dr. Benjamin F. Bowman                          bowman at biochem.mpg.de<mailto:bowman at biochem.mpg.de>
Informationsvermittlung (IVS-BM)         Tel: +49 (0)89 8578 3832<Tel:+49(89)-8578-3832>
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Biochemie       Fax: +49 (0)89 8578 3833
D-82152 Martinsried,  GERMANY

Scientific Information Retrieval Services
for the Biology & Medicine Section of the Max Planck Society
http://www.biochem.mpg.de/en/facilities/ivs/index.html

<http://www.biochem.mpg.de/en/facilities/ivs/Home/>____________________________________________________________

Von: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics [mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU] Im Auftrag von Strotmann, Andreas
Gesendet: Montag, 4. März 2013 14:27
An: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Betreff: [SIGMETRICS] AW: Possible change in WOS-data around 2004?

I believe it was Diana Hicks who, in a recent Berlin symposium, described this pervasive effect. Her interpretation, if I remember correctly, was, that Scopus entered the market around in 2004, and WoS was apparently responding to this new rival by adapting its coverage.

She said she was working on a paper that would contain this information, but I do not know if that paper has come out yet.

Best regards,

-- Andreas Strotmann