Defining embargo periods by discipline?

David Wojick dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US
Sat Mar 2 06:44:32 EST 2013

Dear Loet,

Not being an economist I do not know what marginal value means. Ironically in ordinary language marginal means low value.

But several groups have suggested that they need longer embargo periods, such as the historians and the civil engineers, so I am looking to develop an analytical method. I do not see the journal as the unit of analysis, rather the article and/or the discipline depending on what you mean. But the journal may be the unit of compliance, as it were, depending on how the final OA systems are designed. How multi-discipline journals might be handled is itself a major design problem. As I say in my article discipline specific embargo periods may be too hard to do.

I know there are statistical distribution problems with using citations as a proxy but if citations are the only comprehensive data we have then we may have to use them. Regulatory mechanisms need to be simple, which often makes them crude.

I appreciate your thoughts on this,

David