Defining embargo periods by discipline?

David Wojick dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US
Fri Mar 1 11:44:18 EST 2013

Dear Group,

I have begun to work on the design issues for a new federal green OA system
as raised by the recent U.S. OSTP Memo. See
http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2013/02/25/confusions-in-the-ostp-oa-policy-memo-three-monsters-and-a-gorilla/.

One of the most interesting issues is defining different embargo periods
for different disciplines. There is a clear scientometrics component to
this. Therefore I am asking if anyone knows of any research that speaks to
this issue? My first impression is that the citation pattern over time is
the only analytical framework that has been explored but I may be wrong. In
any case we seem to be breaking new ground with this policy issue.

There are actually two distinct issues. First how do we define a discipline
for regulatory purposes? Second how do we determine the proper embargo
period for each discipline? The latter is perhaps the harder question. Your
thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

My best regards to all,

David