Paper on scientometrics

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Mon Jul 29 01:13:21 EDT 2013

Dear David,

"Understanding," indeed, is always a first goal. When studying complex
systems, however, one risks to focus on the specificities in each case and
thus to specify variation. In a next step, the understanding can be used to
specify selection mechanisms that can be tested on other case materials or
against the whole database after upscaling.

For example, is concurrency of competing research programs a necessary
condition? Does a paradigm change lead to auto-catalytic growth that
overshadows other research programs - let's say after ten years? Or does it
more often lead to differentiation within specialties?

Perhaps, I should not have used the word "prediction" in this more technical
sense of statistical testing. Let's say: specification of an expectation. It
seems to me that lots of contributions to this discussion went in this
direction.

Selection is deterministic (unlike variation) and can therefore be tested.
Preferential attachment, for example, can be considered as a possible
selection mechanism.

Best,

Loet

  _____