Paper on scientometrics

David Wojick dwojick at CRAIGELLACHIE.US
Sun Jul 28 14:29:00 EDT 2013

Dear Loet,

Yes we often know a revolution when we see one, but that is not the same as
having an operational definition that lets us individuate them. We cannot
say for example how many revolutions occurred in discipline d during period
t. It is very hard to do meaningful empirical analyses of things we cannot
even count. Thus I think talk of prediction assumes a level of
understanding that we do not have. Understand is the goal in my view.

David