Papers of interest to readers of the SIG-Metrics list

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSONREUTERS.COM
Mon Jan 28 19:08:01 EST 2013

*Record 1 of 4. Search terms matched: RESEARCH(1)
*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312553800003

Title:
A COAUTHORSHIP NETWORK ANALYSIS OF TOURISM AND HOSPITALITY *RESEARCH* COLLABORATION

Authors:
Ye, Q; Li, T; Law, R

Author Full Names:
Ye, Qiang; Li, Tong; Law, Rob

Source:
JOURNAL OF HOSPITALITY & TOURISM RESEARCH, 37 (1):51-76; 10.1177/1096348011425500 FEB 2013

Language:
English

Document Type:
Article

Author Keywords:
coauthorship, social network analysis, tourism and hospitality, journals, research collaboration

KeyWords Plus:
CO-AUTHORSHIP NETWORKS; SOCIAL NETWORK; SCIENTIFIC COLLABORATION; RESEARCH COMMUNITY; CITATION ANALYSIS; H-INDEX; JOURNALS; UNIVERSITY; RANKING; SCIENCE

Abstract:
As an essential part of knowledge development, research collaboration inspires knowledge acquisition and dissemination. As such, it attracts an increasing amount of interest from academic researchers. This article applies social network analysis to the investigation of research collaborations among tourism and hospitality scholars. Using articles published in six leading tourism and hospitality journals from 1991 to 2010, the empirical findings provide an overview of research collaborations in this field in terms of coauthorship networks. This study identifies some critical scholars in tourism and hospitality research collaborations. Result of a linear regression shows that research collaborations are significantly associated with researchers' research outputs. This article also proposes a new method to evaluate researchers' collaboration strategies on extroversive collaboration and introversive collaboration.
Reprint Address:
Harbin Inst Technol, Sch Management, Harbin, Peoples R China.

Addresses:
[Ye, Qiang] Harbin Inst Technol, Sch Management, Harbin, Peoples R China
[Li, Tong] Harbin Inst Technol, Grad Sch, Harbin, Peoples R China
[Law, Rob] Hong Kong Polytech Univ, Sch Hotel & Tourism Management, Hong Kong, Hong Kong, Peoples R China

E-mail Address:
yeqiang2006 at gmail.com; litonghit at gmail.com; hmroblaw at polyu.edu.hk

Cited Reference Count:
61

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
SAGE PUBLICATIONS INC, 2455 TELLER RD, THOUSAND OAKS, CA 91320 USA

ISSN:
1096-3480

Web of Science Categories:
Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism

Research Areas:
Social Sciences - Other Topics

IDS Number:
057HM

Unique ID:
WOS:000312553800003

Cited References:
Renyi A., 1959, Math, V6, P290
Park Kwangmin, 2011, JOURNAL OF HOSPITALITY & TOURISM RESEARCH, V35, P381
Murphy J, 2008, Annals of Tourism Research, V35, P1074
Yin Li-chun, 2006, INFORMATION PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT, V42, P1599
Hanneman R. A., 2005, Introduction to social network methods,
Shiffrin RM, 2004, PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, V101, P5183
Severt Denver E., 2009, JOURNAL OF HOSPITALITY & TOURISM RESEARCH, V33, P451
Bettencourt Luis M. A., 2009, JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS, V3, P210
Hu Clark, 2008, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT, V27, P302
BARNETT AH, 1988, REVIEW OF ECONOMICS AND STATISTICS, V70, P539
Tabah AN, 1999, ANNUAL REVIEW OF INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, V34, P249
Brin S, 1998, COMPUTER NETWORKS AND ISDN SYSTEMS7th International World Wide Web Conference, APR 14-18, 1998, BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA, V30, P107
Kleinberg JM, 1999, JOURNAL OF THE ACM, V46, P604
Baggio Rodolfo, 2010, ANNALS OF TOURISM RESEARCH, V37, P802
Cronin B, 2003, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, V54, P855
Kretschmer H, 2004, SCIENTOMETRICS9th International Conference on Scientometrics and Informatics, AUG, 2003, Beijing, PEOPLES R CHINA, V60, P409
Hope J., 1999, Business Information Review, V16,
FREEMAN LC, 1979, SOCIAL NETWORKS, V1, P215
Wagner CS, 2005, RESEARCH POLICY, V34, P1608
Braun T, 2001, SCIENTOMETRICS, V51, P499
BONACICH P, 1972, JOURNAL OF MATHEMATICAL SOCIOLOGY, V2, P113
BEAVER DD, 1979, SCIENTOMETRICS, V1, P231
Hirsch JE, 2005, PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, V102, P16569
Malin Bradley, 2007, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL INFORMATICS ASSOCIATION, V14, P340
Benckendorff P., 2009, Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Management, V16, P1
KATZ ML, 1994, JOURNAL OF ECONOMIC PERSPECTIVES, V8, P93
Borner K, 2005, COMPLEXITY, V10, P57
Schubert A., 2004, International Workshop on Webometrics, Informetrics and Scientometrics, Roorkee, India, P99
Liu XM, 2005, INFORMATION PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT, V41, P1462
Hu C., 2010, Annals of Tourism Research, V37, P1012
Dorogovtsev SN, 2002, EUROPHYSICS LETTERS, V57, P334
Frechtling D. C., 2004, Journal of Travel Research, V43, P100
Law R., 2008, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, V20, P113
Harnad Stevan, 2009, SCIENTOMETRICS11th International Conference of the International-Society-for-Scientometrics-and-Informetrics, JUN 25-27, 2007, Madrid, SPAIN, V79, P147
Kuhn T. S., 1970, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions,
Law Rob, 2010, JOURNAL OF HOSPITALITY & TOURISM RESEARCH, V34, P455
Barabasi AL, 1999, SCIENCE, V286, P509
McKercher Bob, 2006, TOURISM MANAGEMENT3rd Asia-Pacific CHRIE Conference (APacCHRIE), MAY 26-28, 2005, Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA, V27, P1235
GARFIELD E, 1972, SCIENCE, V178, P471
KRETSCHMER H, 1994, SCIENTOMETRICS, V30, P363
Genest C, 2001, SCIENTOMETRICS, V51, P429
Wasserman S., 1997, Social network analysis: Methods and applications,
White S, 2003, Ninth ACM SIGKDD International Conference (KDD '03) on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Washington, DC,
Beaver D.deB., 1978, Scientometrics, V1,
Newman MEJ, 2001, PHYSICAL REVIEW E, V64,
Hirsch J. E., 2007, PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, V104, P19193
Vermunt J. K., 2006, Methodology: European Journal of Research Methods for the Behavioral and Social Sciences, V2, P2
Law Rob, 2007, TOURISM MANAGEMENT, V28, P1203
1972, Invisible colleges: Diffusion of knowledge in scientific communities,
Newman MEJ, 2001, PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, V98, P404
Jeang Kuan-Teh, 2008, RETROVIROLOGY, V5,
Finholt T. A, 2003, Economics of Innovation and New Technology, V12, P5
PRICE DJD, 1966, AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGIST, V21, P1011
Campbell P., 2008, Ethics in Science and Environmental Politics, V8, P5
Ryan C, 2005, TOURISM MANAGEMENT, V26, P657
Borgman CL, 2002, ANNUAL REVIEW OF INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, V36, P3
Perianes-Rodriguez Antonio, 2009, JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS, V3, P91
McKercher Bob, 2008, TOURISM MANAGEMENT, V29, P1226
Kim Yonghee, 2009, TOURISM MANAGEMENT, V30, P752
Barabasi AL, 2002, PHYSICA A-STATISTICAL MECHANICS AND ITS APPLICATIONS, V311, P590
Acedo FJ, 2006, JOURNAL OF MANAGEMENT STUDIES, V43, P957

*Record 2 of 4. Search terms matched: RESEARCH(1); TO(1)
*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312639600012

Title:
>From abstract *to* impact in cardiovascular *research*: factors predicting publication and citation

Authors:
Winnik, S; Raptis, DA; Walker, JH; Hasun, M; Speer, T; Clavien, PA;
Komajda, M; Bax, JJ; Tendera, M; Fox, K; Van de Werf, F; Mundow, C;
Luscher, TF; Ruschitzka, F; Matter, CM

Author Full Names:
Winnik, Stephan; Raptis, Dimitri A.; Walker, Janina H.; Hasun, Matthias;
Speer, Thimotheus; Clavien, Pierre-Alain; Komajda, Michel; Bax, Jeroen
J.; Tendera, Michal; Fox, Kim; Van de Werf, Frans; Mundow, Ciara;
Luescher, Thomas F.; Ruschitzka, Frank; Matter, Christian M.

Source:
EUROPEAN HEART JOURNAL, 33 (24):3034-3045; 10.1093/eurheartj/ehs113 DEC 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Article

Author Keywords:
Scientific quality, Peer review, Publication, Impact

KeyWords Plus:
ACADEMIC MEDICINE; WOMEN; ADVANCEMENT; INDICATORS; ACCEPTANCE; TRIALS; BIAS

Abstract:
Aims Through a 4-year follow-up of the abstracts submitted to the European Society of Cardiology Congress in 2006, we aimed at identifying factors predicting high-quality research, appraising the quality of the peer review and editorial processes, and thereby revealing potential ways to improve future research, peer review, and editorial work.
Methods and results All abstracts submitted in 2006 were assessed for acceptance, presentation format, and average reviewer rating. Accepted and rejected studies were followed for 4 years. Multivariate regression analyses of a representative selection of 10% of all abstracts (n = 1002) were performed to identify factors predicting acceptance, subsequent publication, and citation. A total of 10 020 abstracts were submitted, 3104 (31%) were accepted for poster, and 701 (7%) for oral presentation. At Congress level, basic research, a patient number >= 100, and prospective study design were identified as independent predictors of acceptance. These factors differed from those predicting full-text publication, which included academic affiliation. The single parameter predicting frequent citation was study design with randomized controlled trials reaching the highest citation rates. The publication rate of accepted studies was 38%, whereas only 24% of rejected studies were publishe!
 d. Among published studies, those accepted at the Congress received higher citation rates than rejected ones.
Conclusions Research of high quality was determined by study design and largely identified at Congress level through blinded peer review. The scientometric follow-up revealed a marked disparity between predictors of full-text publication and those predicting citation or acceptance at the Congress.
Reprint Address:
Univ Zurich Hosp, Dept Med, Div Cardiol, Ramistr 100, CH-8091 Zurich, Switzerland.

Addresses:
[Winnik, Stephan; Hasun, Matthias; Luescher, Thomas F.; Matter, Christian M.] Univ Zurich Hosp, Dept Med, Div Cardiol, CH-8091 Zurich, Switzerland
[Winnik, Stephan; Speer, Thimotheus; Luescher, Thomas F.; Ruschitzka, Frank; Matter, Christian M.] Univ Zurich, Inst Physiol, CH-8057 Zurich, Switzerland
[Raptis, Dimitri A.; Clavien, Pierre-Alain] Univ Zurich Hosp, Dept Surg, CH-8091 Zurich, Switzerland
[Walker, Janina H.] Cantonal Hosp Muensterlingen, Dept Pediat, CH-8596 Muensterlingen, Switzerland
[Clavien, Pierre-Alain; Luescher, Thomas F.; Matter, Christian M.] Univ Zurich, Zurich Ctr Integrat Human Physiol, CH-8057 Zurich, Switzerland
[Komajda, Michel] Univ Paris 06, Pitie Salpetriere Hosp, Dept Cardiol, F-75013 Paris, France
[Bax, Jeroen J.] Leiden Univ Med Ctr, Dept Cardiol, NL-2333 ZA Leiden, Netherlands
[Tendera, Michal] Med Univ Silesia, Div Cardiol 3, PL-40055 Katowice, Poland
[Fox, Kim] Univ London Imperial Coll Sci Technol & Med, ICMS Royal Brompton Hosp, Natl Heart & Lung Inst, London SW3 6NP, England
[Van de Werf, Frans] Univ Hosp Gasthuisberg, Dept Cardiol, B-3000 Louvain, Belgium
[Mundow, Ciara] European Soc Cardiol, Dept Sci Programme Management, Sofia Antipolis, France

E-mail Address:
stephan.winnik at access.uzh.ch

Funding Acknowledgement:
Foundation for Cardiovascular Research, Zurich, Switzerland; Swiss National Science Foundation [310030-130626/1]; University Research Priority Program' Integrative Human Physiology' at the University of Zurich; Foundation for Cardiovascular Research (FCR) in Zurich, Switzerland

Funding Text:
This work was funded by the Foundation for Cardiovascular Research, Zurich, Switzerland, the Swiss National Science Foundation 310030-130626/1 (C. M. M.), and the University Research Priority Program' Integrative Human Physiology' at the University of Zurich (P.-A. C., T. F. L., C. M. M.). The views expressed in this publication are those of the authors and not necessarily of the funding organizations. Funding to pay the Open Access publication charges for this article was provided by the Foundation for Cardiovascular Research (FCR) in Zurich, Switzerland.

Cited Reference Count:
31

Times Cited:
1

Publisher:
OXFORD UNIV PRESS, GREAT CLARENDON ST, OXFORD OX2 6DP, ENGLAND

ISSN:
0195-668X

Web of Science Categories:
Cardiac & Cardiovascular Systems

Research Areas:
Cardiovascular System & Cardiology

IDS Number:
058NC

Unique ID:
WOS:000312639600012

Cited References:
Toma M, 2006, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, V295, P1281
Moed Henk F., 2009, ARCHIVUM IMMUNOLOGIAE ET THERAPIAE EXPERIMENTALIS, V57, P13
Callaham ML, 1998, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION3rd International Congress on Peer Review in Biomedical Publication, SEP, 1997, PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC, V280, P254
Kaplan SH, 1996, NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE, V335, P1282
FISHER M, 1994, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION2nd International Congress on Peer Review in Biomedical Publication, SEP 09-11, 1993, CHICAGO, IL, V272, P143
Olson CM, 2002, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION4th International Congress on Peer Review in Biomedical Publication, SEP 14-16, 2001, BARCELONA, SPAIN, V287, P2825
Haeffner-Cavaillon Nicole, 2009, ARCHIVUM IMMUNOLOGIAE ET THERAPIAE EXPERIMENTALIS, V57, P33
Levinson W, 2004, ANNALS OF INTERNAL MEDICINE, V141, P471
The European Society of Cardiology E, Past ESC Congresses,
GARFIELD E, 1955, SCIENCE, V122, P108
Pendlebury David A., 2009, ARCHIVUM IMMUNOLOGIAE ET THERAPIAE EXPERIMENTALIS, V57, P1
KASSIRER JP, 1994, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION2nd International Congress on Peer Review in Biomedical Publication, SEP 09-11, 1993, CHICAGO, IL, V272, P96
Medicine TOCfE-B, Levels of Evidence-based Medicine,
Bartlett JE, 2001, Info Technol Learn Perform J, V19, P43
Glasziou P, 2004, BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, V328, P39
Link AM, 1994, JAMA , V272, P246
ABBY M, 1994, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION2nd International Congress on Peer Review in Biomedical Publication, SEP 09-11, 1993, CHICAGO, IL, V272, P105
GARFUNKEL JM, 1994, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION2nd International Congress on Peer Review in Biomedical Publication, SEP 09-11, 1993, CHICAGO, IL, V272, P137
Ash AS, 2004, ANNALS OF INTERNAL MEDICINE, V141, P205
Ross JS, 2006, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, V295, P1675
RELMAN AS, 1989, NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE, V321, P827
Reuters T, ISI Web of Knowledge,
Krzyzanowska MK, 2003, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION38th Annual Meeting of the American-Society-of-Clinical-Oncology, MAY 18-21, 2002, ORLANDO, FLORIDA, V290, P495
TESCH BJ, 1995, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, V273, P1022
von Elm Erik, 2003, BMC medical research methodology, V3, P12
LABAND DN, 1994, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION2nd International Congress on Peer Review in Biomedical Publication, SEP 09-11, 1993, CHICAGO, IL, V272, P147
The European Society of Cardiology E, ESC Congresses Reports,
BAILAR JC, 1985, NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE, V312, P654
GARFIELD E, 1979, SCIENTOMETRICS, V1, P359
SCHERER RW, 1994, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION2nd International Congress on Peer Review in Biomedical Publication, SEP 09-11, 1993, CHICAGO, IL, V272, P158
Raptis Dimitri A., 2010, ANNALS OF SURGERY, V252, P715

*Record 3 of 4. Search terms matched: IMPACT FACTOR(2)
*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000311885300011

Title:
Comparison of Journal Self-Citation Rates between Some Chinese and Non-Chinese International Journals

Authors:
Yang, ZG; Gao, F; Zhang, CT

Author Full Names:
Yang, Zu-Guo; Gao, Feng; Zhang, Chun-Ting

Source:
PLOS ONE, 7 (11):10.1371/journal.pone.0049001 NOV 16 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Article

KeyWords Plus:
IMPACT FACTOR; SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS; MANIPULATION; SCI

Abstract:
Background: The past 3 decades have witnessed a boost in science development in China; in parallel, more and more Chinese scientific journals are indexed by the Journal Citation Reports issued by Thomson Reuters (SCI). Evaluation of the performance of these Chinese SCI journals is necessary and helpful to improve their quality. This study aimed to evaluate these journals by calculating various journal self-citation rates, which are important parameters influencing a journal *impact factor*.
Methodology/Principal Findings: We defined three journal self-citation rates, and studied these rates for 99 Chinese scientific journals, almost exhausting all Chinese SCI journals currently available. Likewise, we selected 99 non-Chinese international (abbreviated as 'world') journals, with each being in the same JCR subject category and having similar impact factors as their Chinese counterparts. Generally, Chinese journals tended to be higher in all the three self-citation rates than world journal counterparts. Particularly, a few Chinese scientific journals had much higher self-citation rates.
Conclusions/Significance: Our results show that generally Chinese scientific journals have higher self-citation rates than those of world journals. Consequently, Chinese scientific journals tend to have lower visibility and are more isolated in the relevant fields. Considering the fact that sciences are rapidly developing in China and so are Chinese scientific journals, we expect that the differences of journal self-citation rates between Chinese and world scientific journals will gradually disappear in the future. Some suggestions to solve the problems are presented.
Reprint Address:
Tianjin Univ, Dept Phys, Tianjin 300072, Peoples R China.

Addresses:
[Yang, Zu-Guo; Gao, Feng; Zhang, Chun-Ting] Tianjin Univ, Dept Phys, Tianjin 300072, Peoples R China

E-mail Address:
yangzg at tju.edu.cn; ctzhang at tju.edu.cn

Funding Acknowledgement:
Research Foundation of the ISTIC-Thomson Reuters Joint Lab for Scientometrics Research [IT2010014]; National Social Science Foundation of China [11BTQ022]

Funding Text:
The present study was supported in part by the Research Foundation of the ISTIC-Thomson Reuters Joint Lab for Scientometrics Research (No. IT2010014), and National Social Science Foundation of China (No. 11BTQ022), both to ZGY. The funders had no role in study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript. No additional external funding was received for this study.

Cited Reference Count:
23

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
PUBLIC LIBRARY SCIENCE, 1160 BATTERY STREET, STE 100, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94111 USA

ISSN:
1932-6203

Article Number:
e49001

Web of Science Categories:
Multidisciplinary Sciences

Research Areas:
Science & Technology - Other Topics

IDS Number:
048BN

Unique ID:
WOS:000311885300011

Cited References:
Ugolini D, 2003, SCIENTOMETRICS, V56, P345
Yu Guang, 2007, SCIENTOMETRICS, V73, P321
Tsay Ming-yueh, 2006, INFORMATION PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT10th International Conference of the International-Society-for-Scientometrics-and-Informatrics, JUL 24-28, 2005, Stockholm, SWEDEN, V42, P1567
Fassoulaki A, 2002, ACTA ANAESTHESIOLOGICA SCANDINAVICA, V46, P902
Egghe L, 1990, Introduction to informetrics: Quantitative methods in library, documentation and information science,
Miguel Campanario Juan, 2009, SCIENTOMETRICS, V81, P859
Andrade Antonia, 2009, SCIENTOMETRICS, V80, P515
Siebelt Michiel, 2010, BMC MUSCULOSKELETAL DISORDERS, V11,
Xia Xiao-dong, 2011, SERIALS REVIEW, V37, P171
Biglu Mohammad Hossein, 2008, SCIENTOMETRICS, V74, P453
Glanzel W, 2002, SCIENTOMETRICS8th International Conference on Scientometrics and Informetrics, JUL 17, 2001, SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, V53, P171
Zhang HQ, 1998, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE, V49, P375
Liu Xue-Li, 2010, LEARNED PUBLISHING, V23, P93
Motamed M, 2002, CLINICAL OTOLARYNGOLOGY, V27, P318
Miguel Campanario Juan, 2006, SCIENTOMETRICS, V69, P365
Frandsen Tove Faber, 2007, JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS, V1, P47
MACZELKA H, 1992, SCIENTOMETRICS, V25, P367
Krauss Jochen, 2007, SCIENTOMETRICS, V73, P79
GARFIELD E, 1972, SCIENCE, V178, P471
Fassoulaki A, 2000, BRITISH JOURNAL OF ANAESTHESIA, V84, P266
Yu Guang, 2010, SCIENTOMETRICS, V83, P259
Reuters Thomson, 2011, Journal citation reports help,
Rousseau R, 1999, SCIENTOMETRICS5th International Conference on Science and Technology Indicators, JUN 04-06, 1998, CAMBRIDGE, ENGLAND, V44, P521

*Record 4 of 4. Search terms matched: IMPACT FACTOR(1)
*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000302131300016

Title:
The 25 Most Cited Articles in Arthroscopic Orthopaedic Surgery

Authors:
Cassar-Gheiti, AJ; Downey, RE; Byrne, DP; Molony, DC; Mulhall, KJ

Author Full Names:
Cassar-Gheiti, Adrian J.; Downey, Richard E.; Byrne, Damien P.; Molony,
Diarmuid C.; Mulhall, Kevin J.

Source:
ARTHROSCOPY-THE JOURNAL OF ARTHROSCOPIC AND RELATED SURGERY, 28 (4):548-564; 10.1016/j.arthro.2011.08.312 APR 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Article

KeyWords Plus:
ANTERIOR CRUCIATE LIGAMENT; AUTOLOGOUS CHONDROCYTE TRANSPLANTATION; SCIENCE-CITATION-INDEX; ROTATOR CUFF TEARS; ARTICULAR-CARTILAGE; IMPACT FACTOR; PATELLAR TENDON; KNEE; JOURNALS; DEFECTS

Abstract:
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to use Web of Knowledge to determine which published arthroscopic surgery-related articles have been cited most frequently by other authors by ranking the 25 most cited articles. We furthermore wished to determine whether there is any difference between a categorical "journal-by-journal" analysis and an "all-database" analysis in arthroscopic surgery and whether such a search methodology would alter the results of previously published lists of "citation classics" in the field. We analyzed the characteristics of these articles to determine what qualities make an article important to this subspecialty of orthopaedic surgery. Methods: Web of Knowledge was searched on March 7, 2011, using the term "arthroscopy" for citations to articles related to arthroscopy in 61 orthopaedic journals and using the all-database function. Each of the 61 orthopaedic journals was searched separately for arthroscopy-related articles to determine the 25 most ci!
 ted articles. An all-database search for arthroscopy-related articles was carried out and compared with a journal-by-journal search. Each article was reviewed for basic information including the type of article, authorship, institution, country, publishing journal, and year published. Results: The number of citations ranged from 189 to 567 in a journal-by-journal search and from 214 to 1,869 in an all-database search. The 25 most cited articles on arthroscopic surgery were published in 11 journals: 8 orthopaedic journals and 3 journals from other specialties. The most cited article in arthroscopic orthopaedic surgery was published in The New England Journal of Medicine, which was not previously identified by a journal-by-journal search. Conclusions: An all-database search in Web of Knowledge gives a more in-depth methodology of determining the true citation ranking of articles. Among the top 25 most cited articles, autologous chondrocyte implantation/transplantation is curr!
 ently the most cited and most popular topic in arthroscopic or!
 thopaedi
c surgery and research. Clinical Relevance: Analysis of the 25 most cited articles allows us to identify the most popular field of research in arthroscopic orthopaedic surgery and gives us insight into the quality and characteristics that are required for an article to become highly cited.
Reprint Address:
Orthopaed Res & Innovat Fdn, Sports Surg Clin, Suite 4,Northwood Ave, Dublin 09, Ireland.

Addresses:
[Cassar-Gheiti, Adrian J.; Downey, Richard E.; Byrne, Damien P.; Molony, Diarmuid C.; Mulhall, Kevin J.] Orthopaed Res & Innovat Fdn, Sports Surg Clin, Dublin 09, Ireland

E-mail Address:
ajcg at eircom.net

Cited Reference Count:
70

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
W B SAUNDERS CO-ELSEVIER INC, 1600 JOHN F KENNEDY BOULEVARD, STE 1800, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19103-2899 USA

ISSN:
0749-8063

Web of Science Categories:
Orthopedics; Surgery

Research Areas:
Orthopedics; Surgery

IDS Number:
916VM

Unique ID:
WOS:000302131300016

Cited References:
Kelly J. C., 2010, JOURNAL OF BONE AND JOINT SURGERY-BRITISH VOLUME, V92B, P1338
CRUES JV, 1987, RADIOLOGY, V164, P445
BROOKER AF, 1973, JOURNAL OF BONE AND JOINT SURGERY-AMERICAN VOLUME, VA 55, P1629
Galatz LM, 2004, JOURNAL OF BONE AND JOINT SURGERY-AMERICAN VOLUME, V86A, P219
Seglen PO, 1997, ALLERGY, V52, P1050
Paladugu R, 2002, WORLD JOURNAL OF SURGERY, V26, P1099
Stern RS, 1999, ARCHIVES OF DERMATOLOGY, V135, P948
Smith Derek R, 2007, The New Zealand medical journal, V120, PU2871
Hangody L, 1998, ORTHOPEDICS, V21, P751
Soanes C, 2009, Concise Oxford English dictionary,
Roy D, 2002, JOURNAL OF LARYNGOLOGY AND OTOLOGY, V116, P363
OBRIEN SJ, 1990, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SPORTS MEDICINE, V18, P449
Jackson Robert W., 2010, ARTHROSCOPY-THE JOURNAL OF ARTHROSCOPIC AND RELATED SURGERY, V26, P91
HOMMINGA GN, 1990, JOURNAL OF BONE AND JOINT SURGERY-BRITISH VOLUME, V72, P1003
LaGuardia C, 2005, Libr J, P1
NEER CS, 1980, JOURNAL OF BONE AND JOINT SURGERY-AMERICAN VOLUME, V62, P897
MIYASAKA N, 1988, ARTHRITIS AND RHEUMATISM, V31, P480
[Anonymous], 2011, Internet Growth Statistics,
Garfield E, 2005, International Congress on Peer Review and Biomedical Publication, September 16, 2005, Chicago, IL,
Moppett I. K., 2011, BRITISH JOURNAL OF ANAESTHESIA, V107, P351
Lefaivre Kelly A., 2010, JOURNAL OF ORTHOPAEDIC TRAUMA, V24, P53
Curl WW, 1997, ARTHROSCOPY, V13, P456
KANNUS P, 1987, JOURNAL OF BONE AND JOINT SURGERY-AMERICAN VOLUME, V69A, P1007
STEIN C, 1991, NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE, V325, P1123
Potter HG, 1998, JOURNAL OF BONE AND JOINT SURGERY-AMERICAN VOLUME, V80A, P1276
MATSUSUE Y, 1993, ARTHROSCOPY, V9, P318
Hunziker EB, 2002, OSTEOARTHRITIS AND CARTILAGE, V10, P432
Garfield Eugene, 2007, INTERNATIONAL MICROBIOLOGY, V10, P65
Patel Vanash M., 2011, JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY OF MEDICINE, V104, P251
Steadman JR, 2003, ARTHROSCOPY-THE JOURNAL OF ARTHROSCOPIC AND RELATED SURGERY, V19, P477
Fingerman S, 2006, Issues Sci Technol Librarianship, P48
BRITTBERG M, 1994, NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE, V331, P889
NOYES FR, 1989, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SPORTS MEDICINE, V17, P505
Garfield Eugene, 2008, HEALTH INFORMATION AND LIBRARIES JOURNAL, V25, P52
HARRIS WH, 1969, JOURNAL OF BONE AND JOINT SURGERY-AMERICAN VOLUME, VA 51, P737
Bentley G, 2003, JOURNAL OF BONE AND JOINT SURGERY-BRITISH VOLUME, V85B, P223
NOYES FR, 1983, JOURNAL OF BONE AND JOINT SURGERY-AMERICAN VOLUME, V65, P163
Corry IS, 1999, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SPORTS MEDICINE, V27, P444
Tsai Yi-Lun, 2006, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF EMERGENCY MEDICINE, V24, P647
Stern RS, 2000, ARCHIVES OF DERMATOLOGY, V136, P357
Moseley JB, 2002, NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE, V347, P81
MARDER RA, 1991, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SPORTS MEDICINE, V19, P478
Baltussen A, 2004, ANESTHESIA AND ANALGESIA, V98, P443
Bhandari Mohit, 2007, CANADIAN JOURNAL OF SURGERY, V50, P119
DANIEL DM, 1985, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SPORTS MEDICINE, V13, P401
ANDREWS JR, 1985, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SPORTS MEDICINE, V13, P337
GARFIELD E, 1987, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, V257, P52
Lankhorst GJ, 2001, CLINICAL REHABILITATION, V15, P115
GARFIELD E, 1991, WIENER KLINISCHE WOCHENSCHRIFT, V103, P318
Beck M, 2004, CLINICAL ORTHOPAEDICS AND RELATED RESEARCH, P67
NOYES FR, 1980, JOURNAL OF BONE AND JOINT SURGERY-AMERICAN VOLUME, V62, P687
Lefaivre Kelly A., 2011, CLINICAL ORTHOPAEDICS AND RELATED RESEARCH, V469, P1487
Peterson L, 2000, CLINICAL ORTHOPAEDICS AND RELATED RESEARCH, P212
Garfield E, 2006, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, V295, P90
Lundberg GD, 2003, MEDICAL JOURNAL OF AUSTRALIA, V178, P253
Peterson L, 2002, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SPORTS MEDICINE, V30, P2
GARFIELD E, 1975, SCIENCE, V189, P397
GARFIELD E, 1977, CURRENT CONTENTS, P1
Cheek J, 2006, QUALITATIVE HEALTH RESEARCH, V16, P423
Hangody L, 2003, JOURNAL OF BONE AND JOINT SURGERY-AMERICAN VOLUME4th Symposium of the International-Cartilage-Repair-Society, JUN 15-18, 2002, TORONTO, CANADA, V85A, P25
Knutsen G, 2004, JOURNAL OF BONE AND JOINT SURGERY-AMERICAN VOLUME, V86A, P455
Burnham Judy F, 2006, Biomedical digital libraries, V3, P1
Noyes FR, 1980, J Bone Joint Surg Am, V62, P757
Callaham M, 2002, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION4th International Congress on Peer Review in Biomedical Publication, SEP 14-16, 2001, BARCELONA, SPAIN, V287, P2847
Jacso P, 2005, CURRENT SCIENCE, V89, P1537
Morgan CD, 1998, ARTHROSCOPY, V14, P553
Baltussen A, 2004, INTENSIVE CARE MEDICINE, V30, P902
PALMER AK, 1989, JOURNAL OF HAND SURGERY-AMERICAN VOLUME, V14A, P594
Brown Ted, 2011, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY, V65, P346
Adams Alexander B, 2004, Respiratory care, V49, P276

*Record 9 of 32. Search terms matched: JOURNAL(1)
*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312801100005

Title:
Library and Information Science *Journal* Prestige as Assessed by Library and Information Science Faculty

Authors:
Manzari, L

Author Full Names:
Manzari, Laura

Source:
LIBRARY QUARTERLY, 83 (1):42-60; 10.1086/668574 JAN 2013

Language:
English

Document Type:
Article

KeyWords Plus:
PROFESSIONAL JOURNALS; PERCEIVED PRESTIGE; LIS JOURNALS; KOHL-DAVIS; RANKING; REPLICATION; DIRECTORS; IMPACT; INDEX; DEANS

Abstract:
This prestige study surveyed full-time faculty of American Library Association (ALA)-accredited programs in library and information studies regarding library and information science (LIS) journals. Faculty were asked to rate a list of eighty-nine LIS journals on a scale from 1 to 5 based on each journal's importance to their research and teaching. Mean and mode calculations were used to rank results. Additionally, LIS faculty were asked to list the five most prestigious journals to be published in for tenure and promotion purposes at their institution. Several journals were rated highly by each method. LIS faculty ratings of LIS journals are useful for assessing journal quality not only for decisions regarding collection management but for tenure and promotion as well.
Reprint Address:
Long Isl Univ, Brookville, NY USA.

Addresses:
[Manzari, Laura] Long Isl Univ, Brookville, NY USA.

E-mail Address:
manzari at liu.edu

Cited Reference Count:
24

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
UNIV CHICAGO PRESS, 1427 E 60TH ST, CHICAGO, IL 60637-2954 USA

ISSN:
0024-2519

Web of Science Categories:
Information Science & Library Science

Research Areas:
Information Science & Library Science

IDS Number:
060TN

Unique ID:
WOS:000312801100005

Cited References:
KIM MT, 1991, COLLEGE & RESEARCH LIBRARIES, V52, P24
McCarthy CA, 2000, SERIALS LIBRARIAN, V39, P121
Jamieson S, 2004, Medical Education, V38, P1212
Via Barbara J., 2007, PORTAL-LIBRARIES AND THE ACADEMY, V7, P333
Braun Tibor, 2006, SCIENTOMETRICS, V69, P169
Herron Terri L., 2004, Journal of Accounting Education, V22, P175
TJOUMAS R, 1992, JOURNAL OF EDUCATION FOR LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE, V33, P173
Nkereuwem E. E., 1997, Asian Libraries, V6, P71
BLAKE VLP, 1995, EDUCATION FOR INFORMATION, V13, P103
Nisonger TE, 1999, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE, V50, P1004
Serenko Alexander, 2009, JOURNAL OF KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT, V13, P4
Chen Yen-Liang, 2011, JOURNAL OF INFORMATION SCIENCE, V37, P254
Nisonger TE, 2005, COLLEGE & RESEARCH LIBRARIES, V66, P341
Smith Kerry, 2009, AUSTRALIAN ACADEMIC & RESEARCH LIBRARIES, V40, P1
Schloegl C, 2004, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, V55, P1155
Blake Virgil L. P., 1994, School Library Media Quarterly, V22, P153
TJOURMAS R, 1994, SERIALS LIBRARIAN, V25, P65
Hirsch JE, 2005, PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, V102, P16569
Theoharakis V, 2003, AMERICAN STATISTICIAN, V57, P115
Connaway Lynn Silipigni, 2010, Basic Research Methods for Librarians,
KOHL DF, 1985, COLLEGE & RESEARCH LIBRARIES, V46, P40
Blake VLP, 1996, EDUCATION FOR INFORMATION, V14, P157
Coleman Anita, 2007, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, V58, P1148
Bar-Ilan Judit, 2010, Journal of Informetrics, V4, P1141

*Record 16 of 32. Search terms matched: CITATION ANALYSIS(1)
*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312506900006

Title:
The impact of 10 years of war on combat casualty care research: A *citation analysis*

Authors:
Orman, JA; Eastridge, BJ; Baer, DG; Gerhardt, RT; Rasmussen, TE;
Blackbourne, LH

Author Full Names:
Orman, Jean A.; Eastridge, Brian J.; Baer, David G.; Gerhardt, Robert
T.; Rasmussen, Todd E.; Blackbourne, Lorne H.

Source:
JOURNAL OF TRAUMA AND ACUTE CARE SURGERY, 73 S403-S408; 6 10.1097/TA.0b013e3182754834 DEC 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Review

KeyWords Plus:
OPERATION-ENDURING-FREEDOM; MASSIVE TRANSFUSION; IRAQI-FREEDOM; TRAUMA CENTER; RESUSCITATION; COAGULOPATHY; SURVIVAL; CLASSICS; WOUNDS; INJURY
Reprint Address:
USA, Inst Surg Res, ATTN MCMR SRR, 3698 Chambers Pass, Ft Sam Houston, TX 78234 USA.

Addresses:
[Orman, Jean A.] USA, Inst Surg Res, ATTN MCMR SRR, Ft Sam Houston, TX 78234 USA.
[Orman, Jean A.] Univ Texas Hlth Sci Ctr San Antonio, San Antonio, TX 78229 USA.

E-mail Address:
Jean.A.Orman at amedd.army.mil

Cited Reference Count:
28

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
LIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS, 530 WALNUT ST, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19106-3621 USA

ISSN:
2163-0755

Web of Science Categories:
Critical Care Medicine; Surgery

Research Areas:
General & Internal Medicine; Surgery

IDS Number:
056QT

Unique ID:
WOS:000312506900006

Cited References:
Hess John R., 2008, TRANSFUSION, V48, P1763
Hetzler Michael R, 2012, Journal of special operations medicine : a peer reviewed journal for SOF medical professionals, V12, P1
NATO, 1997,
D'Alleyrand Jean-Claude G, 2010, Journal of surgical orthopaedic advances, V19, P62
[Anonymous], 2011, Damage control resuscitation at Level 11b/111 treatment facilities clinical practice guideline,
Pruitt Basil, Jr., 2010, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF SURGEONS, V210, P880
Halbauer Joshua D., 2009, JOURNAL OF REHABILITATION RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT, V46, P757
O'Connor David J., 2011, JOURNAL OF VASCULAR SURGERY, V53, P1150
Duchesne Juan C., 2009, JOURNAL OF TRAUMA-INJURY INFECTION AND CRITICAL CARE67th Annual Meeting of the American-Association-for-the-Surgery-of-Trauma, SEP 24-27, 2008, Maui, HI, V67, P33
Cross Jessica D., 2011, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEONS, V19, PS1
Dente Christopher J., 2009, JOURNAL OF TRAUMA-INJURY INFECTION AND CRITICAL CARE67th Annual Meeting of the American-Association-for-the-Surgery-of-Trauma, SEP 24-27, 2008, Maui, HI, V66, P1616
Hodgetts T J, 2007, Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps, V153, P299
Holcomb John B., 2007, ANNALS OF SURGERY, V245, P986
Kragh John F Jr, 2011, U.S. Army Medical Department journal, P38
Blackboume LH, 2011, US Army Med Dep J., P1
Owens Brett D., 2008, JOURNAL OF TRAUMA-INJURY INFECTION AND CRITICAL CARE, V64, P295
Gerhardt Robert T., 2009, ANNALS OF EMERGENCY MEDICINE12th Annual TRISAT Trauma Symposium, SEP, 2006, San Antonio, TX, V53, P169
Ollerton JE, 2005, JOURNAL OF TRAUMA-INJURY INFECTION AND CRITICAL CARE, V58, P364
Pruitt Basil A., Jr., 2008, JOURNAL OF TRAUMA-INJURY INFECTION AND CRITICAL CARE, V64, PS4
[Anonymous], 2012, National Trauma Data Bank Research Data Sets,
Martin Matthew, 2009, JOURNAL OF TRAUMA-INJURY INFECTION AND CRITICAL CARE, V66, PS51
Gerhardt Robert T, 2011, U.S. Army Medical Department journal, P82
Holcomb John B., 2011, JOURNAL OF TRAUMA-INJURY INFECTION AND CRITICAL CARE39th Annual Meeting of the Western-Trauma-Association, FEB 22-28, 2009, Crested Butte, CO, V71, PS318
Nankin E, 2011, Wounds. International Online,
Eastridge Brian J., 2011, JOURNAL OF TRAUMA-INJURY INFECTION AND CRITICAL CARE, V71, PS4
Kelly Joseph F., 2008, JOURNAL OF TRAUMA-INJURY INFECTION AND CRITICAL CARE, V64, PS21
Hirsch JE, 2008, Proc Nail Acad Sci, V102, P16560
Eastridge Brian J, 2009, American journal of surgery, V198, P852

*Record 19 of 32. Search terms matched: IMPACT FACTOR(1); JOURNAL(1)
*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312620600001

Title:
WAEA Presidential Address Deciding Where to Publish: Some Observations on *Journal* *Impact Factor* and Article Influence Score

Authors:
Perry, GM

Author Full Names:
Perry, Gregory M.

Source:
JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL AND RESOURCE ECONOMICS, 37 (3):335-348; DEC 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Article

Author Keywords:
article influence score, citation analysis, economic literature, impact factor, research

KeyWords Plus:
GROUNDWATER; CITATIONS; ECONOMICS

Abstract:
This article provides the history underlying the journal impact factor and weaknesses of this measure to evaluate journal quality. The Eigenfactor and Article Influence Scores are suggested as an improved way to compare research quality and impact across disciplines. The network analysis underlying the Eigenfactor approach suggests the agricultural and natural resource economics profession can have a larger impact on the scientific community by directing more research effort towards interdisciplinary work. The Article Influence approach is used to develop a seven-tier system to evaluate research quality, to be used either to guide individual faculty about where to publish their research or to evaluate the research portfolio of a department.
Reprint Address:
Colorado State Univ, Dept Agr & Resource Econ, Ft Collins, CO 80523 USA.

Addresses:
Colorado State Univ, Dept Agr & Resource Econ, Ft Collins, CO 80523 USA.

Cited Reference Count:
21

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
WESTERN AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS ASSOC, C/O DEEVON BAILEY, UTAH STATE UNIV, ECONOMICS DEPT, 3535 OLD MAIN HILL, LOGAN, UT 84322-3530 USA

ISSN:
1068-5502

Web of Science Categories:
Agricultural Economics & Policy; Economics

Research Areas:
Agriculture; Business & Economics

IDS Number:
058FX

Unique ID:
WOS:000312620600001

Cited References:
Fok Dennis, 2007, JOURNAL OF ECONOMETRICS, V139, P376
Fowler K. K., 2010, Notices of the American Mathematical Society, V58, P434
Tronstad R., 2010, Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, V36, P433
Reuters Thomson, 2012, Science Products & Services,
Garfield E., 1979, Citation Indexing: Its Theory and Application in Science, Technology, and Humanities,
Curtis Kynda R., 2010, JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL AND RESOURCE ECONOMICS, V35, P118
Garfield E., 2005, The Agony and the Ecstasy: The History and the Meaning of the Journal Impact Factor,
Perry G. M., 1995, Review of Agricultural Economics, V17, P395
Foo Jong Yong Abdiel, 2011, SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING ETHICS, V17, P65
Bergstrom Carl T., 2008, NEUROLOGY, V71, P1850
Garfield E, 2006, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, V295, P90
Rosvall M., 2011, PLoS ONE, V6, P1
Wang Chenggang, 2011, JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL AND RESOURCE ECONOMICS, V36, P95
Testa J., 2012, The Thomson Reuters Journal Selection Process,
Gross P L, 1927, Science (New York, N.Y.), V66, P385
West Jevin D., 2010, COLLEGE & RESEARCH LIBRARIES, V71, P236
Rosvall Martin, 2008, PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, V105, P1118
McLaughlin Patrick A., 2011, JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL AND RESOURCE ECONOMICS, V36, P375
HOLLAND DW, 1974, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS, V56, P784
TAUER LW, 1984, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS, V66, P170
Perry Gregory M., 2010, APPLIED ECONOMIC PERSPECTIVES AND POLICY, V32, P117

*Record 23 of 32. Search terms matched: CITATIONS(1); JOURNALS(1)
*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312734500002

Title:
Scientific Collaboration and Article *Citations*: Practices in Medical *Journals*.

Authors:
Bador, P; Lafouge, T

Author Full Names:
Bador, Pascal; Lafouge, Thierry

Source:
THERAPIE, 67 (6):505-513; 10.2515/therapie/2012074 NOV-DEC 2012

Language:
French

Document Type:
Article

Author Keywords:
scientific collaboration, citations, co-signature, medicine, pharmacy

KeyWords Plus:
CO-AUTHORSHIP; SEARCH; IMPACT

Abstract:
Scientific Collaboration and Article Citations: Practices in Medical Journals. Objective. In order to characterize scientific collaboration the best way is to study co-signature of articles. Two indicators are interesting: number of authors and international character. The objective is to study correlation between these two indicators and citation number. Methods. We selected two pharmacy and medicine journals in order to compare practices. We used a sample of about 800 articles published in 2002-2005 for which we collected citations up to 2010. We transformed numeric variables, authors number and citation number, into qualitative variables. Results. "Authors" and "Citations" variables are not independent. Conclusions. Less cited articles are often published by one author or a very small team while international character of articles generally increases citation number. This micro-analysis also allowed us to better understand publication practices.
Reprint Address:
Univ Lyon 1, Equipe ELICO, ISPB Fac Pharm, Ctr Documentat Pharmaceut, 8 Ave Rockefeller, F-69373 Lyon 08, France.

Addresses:
[Bador, Pascal] Univ Lyon 1, Equipe ELICO, ISPB Fac Pharm, Ctr Documentat Pharmaceut, F-69373 Lyon 08, France.
[Bador, Pascal; Lafouge, Thierry] Univ Lyon, Lyon, France.
[Lafouge, Thierry] Univ Lyon 1, Equipe ELICO, F-69622 Villeurbanne, France.

E-mail Address:
pascal.bador at univ-lyon1.fr

Cited Reference Count:
18

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
EDP SCIENCES S A, 17, AVE DU HOGGAR, PA COURTABOEUF, BP 112, F-91944 LES ULIS CEDEX A, FRANCE

ISSN:
0040-5957

Web of Science Categories:
Pharmacology & Pharmacy

Research Areas:
Pharmacology & Pharmacy

IDS Number:
059VV

Unique ID:
WOS:000312734500002

Cited References:
Ding Y, 1999, Int Inform Lib Rev, V30, P367
Gingras Y, 2005, Les Cahiers de l'ACSALF, V2, P10
Godin B, 2000, Argus, V29, P15
Jiann-Wien H, 2011, Scientometrics, V86, P317
Cronin B, 2001, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, V52, P558
Cibois P, 1987,
Glanzel W, 2001, SCIENTOMETRICS6th International Conference on Science and Technology Indicators, MAY 24-27, 2000, LEIDEN, NETHERLANDS, V51, P69
Persson O, 2004, SCIENTOMETRICS9th International Conference on Scientometrics and Informatics, AUG, 2003, Beijing, PEOPLES R CHINA, V60, P421
Jones Benjamin F., 2008, SCIENCE, V322, P1259
EPSTEIN RJ, 1993, BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, V306, P765
Fernandez M, 1995, Proceedings of the Biennial Conference of the International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics, P187
Glanzel W, 2002, LIBRARY TRENDS, V50, P461
Figg WD, 2006, PHARMACOTHERAPY, V26, P759
Van Raan AFJ, 1998, SCIENTOMETRICS, V42, P423
Papatheodorou Stefania I., 2008, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL EPIDEMIOLOGY, V61, P546
Lariviere V, 2005, Comptes rendus de la 10econference internationale de la International Society for Scientometrics and Informetrics (ISSI), Stockholm, P565
Glanzel W, 1997, SCIENTOMETRICS6th Conference of the International-Society-for-Scientometrics-and-Informetrics, JUN 16-19, 1997, JERUSALEM, ISRAEL, V40, P605
Probabilites Saporta G, 2006, Description et mesures de liaison entre variables,

*Record 24 of 32. Search terms matched: BIBLIOMETRIC(1)
*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312654700001

Title:
The Malaria in Pregnancy Library: a *bibliometric* review

Authors:
van Eijk, AM; Hill, J; Povall, S; Reynolds, A; Wong, HL; Ter Kuile, FO

Author Full Names:
van Eijk, Anna M.; Hill, Jenny; Povall, Sue; Reynolds, Alison; Wong,
Helen; Ter Kuile, Feiko O.

Source:
MALARIA JOURNAL, 11 10.1186/1475-2875-11-362 OCT 30 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Review

Author Keywords:
Malaria, Pregnancy, Bibliometrics

KeyWords Plus:
INTERMITTENT PREVENTIVE TREATMENT; CHONDROITIN SULFATE-A; PLASMODIUM-FALCIPARUM; SULFADOXINE-PYRIMETHAMINE; PLACENTAL MALARIA; BIRTH-WEIGHT; PUBLIC-HEALTH; INFECTION; PHARMACOKINETICS; EPIDEMIOLOGY

Abstract:
Background: The Malaria in Pregnancy (MiP) Library is a bibliographic database that was created by the MiP Consortium in 2005 and is updated every four months using a standardized search protocol. A bibliometric review was conducted of the contents of the Library to determine dynamics in the type, content and volume of literature on malaria in pregnancy over time.
Methods: Data on year of publication, type, language, country of first-author affiliation and content (topic) were extracted from entries in the MiP Library and plotted over time.
Results: By January 2012, the MiP Library contained 5,346 entries, consisting of 3,721 journal articles (69.6%), 697 reports (13.0%), 219 academic theses (4.1%), 92 books or book chapters (1.7%), 487 conference proceedings (9.1%), 68 registered studies (1.3%) and 62 'other' (1.2%). Most of the sources were in English language (87.3%), followed by French (7.5%) and Spanish (1.5%). Over 40% of source material was publicly available online (42.4%) and the remaining with restricted access (35.0%) or otherwise unavailable (22.7%). The number of journal articles related to malaria in pregnancy increased from 41 in the 1960s, to 708 in the 1990s, and 1,895 between 2000 and 2009, and the variety of themes has increased over time. English-language articles were sourced from 737 different journals. The top three journals were the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (184), Malaria Journal (158) and the Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (13!
 1).
Conclusion: The last decade has seen a dramatic increase in publications related to malaria in pregnancy, and an increasing proportion of these are publically available online. The MiP Library is a useful, scholarly source for literature and systematic reviews related to malaria in pregnancy.
Reprint Address:
Univ Liverpool, Liverpool Sch Trop Med, Child & Reprod Hlth Grp, Pembroke Pl, Liverpool L3 5QA, Merseyside, England.

Addresses:
[van Eijk, Anna M.; Hill, Jenny; Reynolds, Alison; Wong, Helen; Ter Kuile, Feiko O.] Univ Liverpool, Liverpool Sch Trop Med, Child & Reprod Hlth Grp, Liverpool L3 5QA, Merseyside, England.
[Povall, Sue] Univ Liverpool, Div Publ Hlth, Liverpool L69 3GB, Merseyside, England.

E-mail Address:
avaneijk at liv.ac.uk

Funding Acknowledgement:
Malaria in Pregnancy Consortium; Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation

Funding Text:
The MiP Library is supported by the Malaria in Pregnancy Consortium, which is funded through a grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine. We acknowledge the contribution of Stuart Gillies, who was the first person to develop the MiP Library. We would like to thank all the individuals who have made us aware of or helped us with obtaining publications of interest for the MiP Library.

Cited Reference Count:
41

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
BIOMED CENTRAL LTD, 236 GRAYS INN RD, FLOOR 6, LONDON WC1X 8HL, ENGLAND

ISSN:
1475-2875

Article Number:
362

Web of Science Categories:
Parasitology; Tropical Medicine

Research Areas:
Parasitology; Tropical Medicine

IDS Number:
058SQ

Unique ID:
WOS:000312654700001

Cited References:
Salanti A, 2003, MOLECULAR MICROBIOLOGY, V49, P179
Goehl Thomas J., 2008, ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH PERSPECTIVES, V116, PA514
BRABIN BJ, 1983, BULLETIN OF THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION, V61, P1005
Harzing AW, 2007, Publish or Perish,
Murray Christopher J. L., 2012, LANCET, V379, P413
[Anonymous], 2010, ISI Web of Knowledge Journal Citation Reports Science Edition,
Fried M, 1998, NATURE, V395, P851
Fried M, 1996, SCIENCE, V272, P1502
Green Michael D., 2007, JOURNAL OF INFECTIOUS DISEASES, V196, P1403
Steketee RW, 1996, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF TROPICAL MEDICINE AND HYGIENE, V55, P33
Schoonbaert Dirk, 2009, JOURNAL OF THE MEDICAL LIBRARY ASSOCIATION, V97, P241
Chico R. Matthew, 2011, TROPICAL MEDICINE & INTERNATIONAL HEALTH, V16, P774
Longo Monica, 2010, REPRODUCTIVE TOXICOLOGY, V30, P583
MENENDEZ C, 1995, PARASITOLOGY TODAY, V11, P178
WHO, 2004, A strategic framework for malaria prevention and control during pregnancy in the Africa region,
Parise ME, 1998, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF TROPICAL MEDICINE AND HYGIENE, V59, P813
World Health Organization Global Malaria Program, 2011, World Malaria Report 2011,
MCGREGOR IA, 1984, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF TROPICAL MEDICINE AND HYGIENE, V33, P517
Ward Stephen A., 2007, LANCET INFECTIOUS DISEASES, V7, P136
Fried M, 1998, JOURNAL OF IMMUNOLOGY, V160, P2523
DAlessandro U, 1996, TRANSACTIONS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY OF TROPICAL MEDICINE AND HYGIENE, V90, P487
Desai Meghna, 2007, LANCET INFECTIOUS DISEASES, V7, P93
Tagbor Harry, 2010, PLOS ONE, V5,
Tricco Andrea C., 2008, CANADIAN JOURNAL OF PUBLIC HEALTH-REVUE CANADIENNE DE SANTE PUBLIQUE, V99, P466
Steketee RW, 2001, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF TROPICAL MEDICINE AND HYGIENE, V64, P28
Roll Back Malaria Partnership, 2011, V7,
Lagarde Mylene, 2011, PLOS ONE, V6,
Ross Joseph S., 2012, BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, V344,
Smith Lucy A., 2010, MALARIA JOURNAL, V9,
Rizkallah Jacques, 2010, PLOS ONE, V5,
Gosling Roly D., 2010, EXPERT REVIEW OF ANTI-INFECTIVE THERAPY, V8, P589
Beeson JG, 2000, NATURE MEDICINE, V6, P86
Ades V, 2011, Infect Dis Rep, V3, Pe8
Arendt J, 2010, Issues Sci Tech Librarian 2010,
Menendez C, 2000, JOURNAL OF INFECTIOUS DISEASES, V181, P1740
Paintain Lucy Smith, 2011, PLOS ONE, V6,
Shulman CE, 1999, LANCET, V353, P632
SCHULTZ LJ, 1994, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF TROPICAL MEDICINE AND HYGIENE, V51, P515
Eigenfactor.org, Ranking and Mapping Scientific Knowledge,
Browne EN, 1996, The impact of insecticide-treated bednet use on malaria and anaemia in Kassena-Nankana district, Ghana,
MCGREGOR IA, 1983, TRANSACTIONS OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY OF TROPICAL MEDICINE AND HYGIENE, V77, P232

*Record 25 of 32. Search terms matched: SCIENTOMETRIC(1)
*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312577400069

Title:
The evaluation of the global energy and fuels research: A *scientometric* approach

Authors:
Konur, O

Author Full Names:
Konur, Ozcan

Source:
ENERGY EDUCATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PART A-ENERGY SCIENCE AND RESEARCH, 30 (1):613-628; OCT 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Article

Author Keywords:
Energy, Fuels, Research evaluation, Research productivity, Scientometrics, Web of Knowledge

KeyWords Plus:
RESEARCH-AND-DEVELOPMENT; HIGHER-EDUCATION; DISABLED STUDENTS; HYDROGEN ENERGY; LIGNOCELLULOSIC BIOMASS; RESEARCH COLLABORATION; BIBLIOMETRIC ANALYSIS; RENEWABLE ENERGY; WORLD LITERATURE; OIL

Abstract:
The present study explores the characteristics of the global energy and fuels literature published between 1945 and 2011 based on the Arts & Humanities Citation Index (A&HCI), Science Citation Index Expanded (SCIE), and Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI) and its implications using the scientometric techniques. The results of this study reveal that the energy and fuels research output have grown spectacularly starting with 86 papers in 1972 and ending with 16,333 papers in 2011, showing superb performance in the 2000s triggered by the 2001 Twin-Tower terrorist attacks renewing the global anxiety on the energy supplies, with paralleling enormous changes in the research landscape. There were 150,253 papers published between 1972 and 2011 comprising 0.5% of the global literature indexed by the A&HCI, SSCI, and SCIE between 1945 and 2011. The US, China, and Japan have been the three most prolific countries. The "Indian Inst Technol" of India has been the most prolific institut!
 ion and "Probert SD" of the Cranfield University has been the most prolific author. "Journal of Power Sources" has been the most prolific journal whilst "Energy Fuels" has been the most prolific subject area. A review paper on the nitrogen chemistry in combustion has had the highest impact on the literature with 1,565 citations. The scientometric analysis has a great potential to gain valuable insights into the evolution of the global research on the energy and fuels, complementing the scientometric studies in the fields of the renewable energies as well as other dynamic research fields providing a unique insight on the incentive structures for all the key stakeholders in the field.
Reprint Address:
Sirnak Univ, Fac Engn, TR-73000 Sirnak, Turkey.

Addresses:

okonur at hotmail.com

Cited Reference Count:
113

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
SILA SCIENCE, UNIV MAH,MEKAN SOK NO 24, TRABZON, 00000, TURKEY

ISSN:
1308-772X

Web of Science Categories:
Energy & Fuels; Engineering, Environmental; Engineering, Chemical

Research Areas:
Energy & Fuels; Engineering

IDS Number:
057QF

Unique ID:
WOS:000312577400069

Cited References:
Konur Ozcan, 2012, ENERGY EDUCATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PART A-ENERGY SCIENCE AND RESEARCH, V28, P1003
Sun Y, 2002, BIORESOURCE TECHNOLOGY, V83, P1
Contreras MA, 1999, PROGRESS IN PHOTOVOLTAICS, V7, P311
Konur O, 2012, Ener Educ Sci Tech-B,
Scrosati Bruno, 2010, JOURNAL OF POWER SOURCES, V195, P2419
Konur O, 2006, DYSLEXIA, V12, P51
Konur Ozcan, 2012, ENERGY EDUCATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PART A-ENERGY SCIENCE AND RESEARCH, V29, P309
Konur Ozcan, 2012, ENERGY EDUCATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PART B-SOCIAL AND EDUCATIONAL STUDIES, V4, P1573
DICKINSON WR, 1979, AAPG BULLETIN-AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF PETROLEUM GEOLOGISTS, V63, P2164
Mosier N, 2005, BIORESOURCE TECHNOLOGY, V96, P673
Sombatsompop Narongrit, 2011, MALAYSIAN JOURNAL OF LIBRARY & INFORMATION SCIENCE, V16, P35
Konur Ozcan, 2012, ENERGY EDUCATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PART A-ENERGY SCIENCE AND RESEARCH, V28, P1051
Leydesdorff L, 1998, SCIENTOMETRICS, V43, P5
Hadar LT, 2003, MIDDLE EAST POLICY, V10, P1
Kajikawa Yuya, 2008, TECHNOLOGICAL FORECASTING AND SOCIAL CHANGE, V75, P771
Green Martin A., 2009, PROGRESS IN PHOTOVOLTAICS, V17, P85
NORTH DC, 1991, JOURNAL OF ECONOMIC PERSPECTIVES, V5, P97
Konur Ozcan, 2012, ENERGY EDUCATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PART B-SOCIAL AND EDUCATIONAL STUDIES, V4, P1547
Bajpai S., 2007, JOURNAL OF PETROLEUM SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING, V55, P174
Hendriks A. T. W. M., 2009, BIORESOURCE TECHNOLOGY, V100, P10
KONUR O, 1989, COMPOSITES, V20, P317
Zhang HQ, 1997, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE, V48, P662
Delanghe Henri, 2011, SCIENTOMETRICS, V87, P389
BOYER SE, 1982, AAPG BULLETIN-AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF PETROLEUM GEOLOGISTS, V66, P1196
Konur Ozcan, 2012, ENERGY EDUCATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PART A-ENERGY SCIENCE AND RESEARCH, V29, P1277
Konur O, 2000, DISABILITY & SOCIETY, V15, P1041
Leydesdorff Loet, 2009, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, V60, P348
Fu Hui-zhen, 2010, WASTE MANAGEMENT, V30, P2410
Mor Gopal K., 2006, SOLAR ENERGY MATERIALS AND SOLAR CELLS, V90, P2011
Celiktas Melih Soner, 2010, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, V35, P9
LAWSON J, 1980, SCIENTOMETRICS, V2, P227
Konur Ozcan, 2012, ENERGY EDUCATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PART B-SOCIAL AND EDUCATIONAL STUDIES, V4, P1893
Chen Yu-Heng, 2010, AFRICAN JOURNAL OF BUSINESS MANAGEMENT, V4, P1372
Mirowski Philip, 2010, ARCHIVES EUROPEENNES DE SOCIOLOGIE, V51, P243
Sinha Bikramjit, 2011, CURRENT SCIENCE, V100, P654
Schummer J, 2004, SCIENTOMETRICS, V59, P425
DALPE R, 1995, RESEARCH POLICY, V24, P563
Konur O, 2013, Ener Educ Sci Tech-B, V5, P483
Sen Samil, 2007, ENERGY POLICY, V35, P1517
Tijssen Robert J. W., 2010, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, V61, P1842
Krebs Frederik C., 2009, SOLAR ENERGY MATERIALS AND SOLAR CELLS, V93, P465
Tanaka Hiroshi, 2011, DESALINATION AND WATER TREATMENT, V25, P1
Santos D. M. F., 2011, RENEWABLE & SUSTAINABLE ENERGY REVIEWS, V15, P3980
MYJER EPJ, 2002, J CONFLICT SECURITY, V7, P5
Chen Yu-Heng, 2011, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, V36, P6957
POURIS A, 1987, SOUTH AFRICAN JOURNAL OF SCIENCE, V83, P138
van Raan Anthony F. J., 2011, SCIENTOMETRICS, V88, P495
Lichtfouse Eric, 2010, AGRONOMY FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT, V30, P1
Pinto Adilson Luiz, 2010, PERSPECTIVAS EM CIENCIA DA INFORMACAO, V15, P198
Zhou P, 2006, RESEARCH POLICY, V35, P83
VANLEEUWEN TN, 1993, SCIENTOMETRICSEUROPEAN WORKSHOP ON SCIENTOMETRIC METHODS OF RESEARCH EVALUATION IN THE SCIENCES, SOCIAL SCIENCES AND TECHNOLOGY, APR 13-17, 1991, POTSDAM, GERMANY, V26, P115
Horta Hugo, 2007, TECHNOLOGICAL FORECASTING AND SOCIAL CHANGE, V74, P1334
Pilkington Alan, 2009, TECHNOLOGICAL FORECASTING AND SOCIAL CHANGE, V76, P118
Mata Teresa M., 2010, RENEWABLE & SUSTAINABLE ENERGY REVIEWS, V14, P217
Konur Ozcan, 2012, ENERGY EDUCATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PART B-SOCIAL AND EDUCATIONAL STUDIES, V4, P1935
Konur Ozcan, 2012, ENERGY EDUCATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PART A-ENERGY SCIENCE AND RESEARCH, V28, P903
Konur Ozcan, 2012, ENERGY EDUCATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PART A-ENERGY SCIENCE AND RESEARCH, V28, P727
Krebs Frederik C., 2009, SOLAR ENERGY MATERIALS AND SOLAR CELLS, V93, P422
Robinson T, 2001, BIORESOURCE TECHNOLOGY, V77, P247
Bahgat G, 2003, INTERNATIONALE POLITIK, V58, P11
Konur Ozcan, 2006, TEACHING IN HIGHER EDUCATION, V11, P351
MULROW CD, 1994, BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, V309, P597
Konur Ozcan, 2011, APPLIED ENERGY, V88, P3532
Williams Paul A., 2006, FUTURES, V38, P1074
Klare MT, 2002, CURRENT HISTORY, V101, P414
GARG KC, 1991, SCIENTOMETRICS, V21, P147
Choi Sungchul, 2011, SCIENTOMETRICS, V88, P863
GOLTSOVA LF, 1990, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HYDROGEN ENERGY, V15, P655
Demirbas Ayhan, 2007, PROGRESS IN ENERGY AND COMBUSTION SCIENCE, V33, P1
Lee Bangrae, 2011, JOURNAL OF INFORMATION SCIENCE, V37, P67
Leydesdorff Loet, 2009, JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS, V3, P353
Vandermeulen V., 2011, BIOMASS & BIOENERGY, V35, P4368
MILLER JA, 1989, PROGRESS IN ENERGY AND COMBUSTION SCIENCE, V15, P287
Blomberg Brock, 2009, ECONOMICS & POLITICS, V21, P409
Romo-Fernandez Luz M., 2011, RENEWABLE ENERGY, V36, P2529
Tsay Ming-Yueh, 2008, SCIENTOMETRICS, V75, P421
Konur O, 2012, Ener Educ Sci Tech-A,
Konur O, 2011, Soc Politic Ec Cultu, V3, P81
Duan Liping, 2011, APPLIED ENERGY, V88, P4229
Kolstad CD, 2000, JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL ECONOMICS AND MANAGEMENT, V39, P282
Klitkou Antje, 2007, SCIENTOMETRICS, V70, P491
Uzun A, 2002, ENERGY POLICY, V30, P131
Menendez-Manjon Ana, 2011, JOURNAL OF NANOPARTICLE RESEARCH, V13, P3911
Paladugu R, 2002, WORLD JOURNAL OF SURGERY, V26, P1099
Van Raan A, 1999, SCIENTOMETRICSInternational Expert Meeting on Evaluation, JUL 03-05, 1998, VIENNA, AUSTRIA, V45, P417
Konur O, 2012, Soc Politic Ec Cultu, V4, P1
Yanagisawa Kazuaki, 2010, SCIENTOMETRICS, V84, P563
BAIRD LM, 1994, JOURNAL OF INFORMATION SCIENCE7th Annual ISI Lecture, 1993, LONDON, ENGLAND, V20, P2
Kajikawa Yuya, 2008, TECHNOLOGICAL FORECASTING AND SOCIAL CHANGE, V75, P1349
Celiktas Melih Soner, 2009, RENEWABLE ENERGY, V34, P1479
Konur O, 2002, NURSE EDUCATION TODAY, V22, P364
POPE SB, 1985, PROGRESS IN ENERGY AND COMBUSTION SCIENCE, V11, P119
Konur O, 2013, Ener Educ Sci Tech-B, V5, P463
Lefaivre Kelly A., 2010, JOURNAL OF ORTHOPAEDIC TRAUMA, V24, P53
Krebs Frederik C., 2009, SOLAR ENERGY MATERIALS AND SOLAR CELLS, V93, P394
Konur Ozcan, 2012, ENERGY EDUCATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PART B-SOCIAL AND EDUCATIONAL STUDIES, V4, P1603
van der Zaag P., 2009, HYDROLOGY AND EARTH SYSTEM SCIENCES, V13, P905
Ruegg Rosalie, 2011, RESEARCH EVALUATION, V20, P305
Konur Ozcan, 2007, DISABILITY & SOCIETY, V22, P187
Woon Wei Lee, 2009, KNOWLEDGE AND INFORMATION SYSTEMS, V21, P91
Konur O, 2002, Int J Discrimination, V5, P247
Kademani B. S., 2006, SCIENTOMETRICS, V69, P347
SEN SK, 1986, SCIENTOMETRICS, V10, P43
Konur O., 2007, JOURNAL OF COMPUTER ASSISTED LEARNING, V23, P207
Celiktas Melih Soner, 2010, ENERGY, V35, P1973
Konur O, 2002, Assessment Evalutio, V27, P131
Krivchenko O. V., 2011, PROBLEMS OF ATOMIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, P62
Schaeffer GJ, 1998, JOURNAL OF POWER SOURCES5th Grove Fuel Cell Symposium on Fuel Cells - Investing in a Clean Future, SEP 22-25, 1997, LONDON, ENGLAND, V71, P256
Kippelen Bernard, 2009, ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE, V2, P251
Krebs Frederik C., 2010, ENERGY & ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE, V3, P512
Ma FR, 1999, BIORESOURCE TECHNOLOGY, V70, P1
Konur O, 2012, Biomass Bioenerg,
Konur Ozcan, 2012, ENERGY EDUCATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PART A-ENERGY SCIENCE AND RESEARCH, V29, P323

*Record 27 of 32. Search terms matched: IMPACT FACTOR(1)
*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312587700001

Title:
Use and misuse of the *Impact Factor*

Authors:
Shubert, E

Author Full Names:
Shubert, Elliot

Source:
SYSTEMATICS AND BIODIVERSITY, 10 (4):391-394; 10.1080/14772000.2012.753716 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Editorial Material
Reprint Address:
Nat Hist Museum, Dept Life Sci, Cromwell Rd, London SW7 5BD, England.

Addresses:
Nat Hist Museum, Dept Life Sci, London SW7 5BD, England.

E-mail Address:
e.shubert at nhm.ac.uk

Cited Reference Count:
8

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD, 4 PARK SQUARE, MILTON PARK, ABINGDON OX14 4RN, OXON, ENGLAND

ISSN:
1477-2000

Web of Science Categories:
Biodiversity Conservation; Biology

Research Areas:
Biodiversity & Conservation; Life Sciences & Biomedicine - Other Topics

IDS Number:
057TU

Unique ID:
WOS:000312587700001

Cited References:
CROSS J., 2009, P1
JCQAR (JOINT COMMITTEE ON QUANTITATIVE ASSESSMENT OF RESEARCH), 2008, A report from the International Mathematical Union in cooperation with the International Council of Industrial and Applied Mathematics and the Institute of Mathematical Statistics,
Marder Eve, 2010, PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, V107, P21233
Hirsch JE, 2005, PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, V102, P16569
MCVEIGH M., 2010, What does it mean to be # 2 in Impact?,
SEGLEN P.O., 1997, BMJ, V314, P497
CROSS J., 2011, Citation and metrics,
GARFIELD E., 1994, Current Contents, V25, P3

TITLE:          Thousand-citation papers are outliers (Letter, English)
AUTHOR:         Woodgett, J
SOURCE:         NATURE 492 (7429). DEC 20 2012. p.356 NATURE PUBLISHING
                GROUP, LONDON

SEARCH TERM(S):  CITATION  item_title; CITATION*  item_title;
                 LETTER*  doctype

AUTHOR ADDRESS: J Woodgett, Mt Sinai Hosp, Samuel Lunenfeld Res Inst, 600
                Univ Ave, Toronto, ON M5G 1X5, Canada

TITLE:          Research on the Impact Factors for ESE System's
                Coordinated Development of Jilin Province's State-owned Forest Region
                (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Zhang, J; Li, XJ
SOURCE:         2012 WORLD AUTOMATION CONGRESS (WAC). 2012.
                p.NIL_350-NIL_353 IEEE, NEW YORK

SEARCH TERM(S):  IMPACT FACTOR*  item_title

KEYWORDS:       the Jilin state-owned forest region; ESE system;
                Coordinated Development; Impact factors

ABSTRACT:       this paper viewed the state-owned forest region as a
whole, formed a composite ESE system of three subsystems-economic, social
and environment. Each State-owned forest micro-area's economic, social
and environmental development conditions are similar, but the factors
impacting directions and degree for micro-area's economic development
were different. This paper evaluated the impact factors of ESE system's
coordinated development in state-owned forest region of Jilin Province by
using the gray dynamic evaluation method to build gray dynamic model of
coordinated development, thus to identify the profit guidance factors and
limiting factors impacting the coordinated development of forest region.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: J Zhang, Beihua Univ, Sch Econ Management, Jilin 132012,
                Peoples R China

TITLE:          Characteristics of recent biostatistical methods adopted
                by researchers publishing in general/internal medicine journals (Article,
                English)
AUTHOR:         Nietert, PJ; Wahlquist, AE; Herbert, TL
SOURCE:         STATISTICS IN MEDICINE 32 (1). JAN 15 2013. p.1-10
                WILEY-BLACKWELL, HOBOKEN

SEARCH TERM(S):  JOURNALS  item_title

KEYWORDS:       bibliometrics; biostatistical methods; general; internal
                medicine; journal impact factor
KEYWORDS+:       IMPACT FACTORS

ABSTRACT:       Background

Novel statistical methods are constantly being developed within the
context of biomedical research; however, the characteristics of
biostatistics methods that have been adopted into the field of
general/internal medicine (GIM) is unclear. This study highlights the
statistical journal articles, the statistical journals, and the types of
statistical methods that appear to be having the most direct impact on
GIM research.

Methods

Descriptive techniques, including analyses of articles' keywords and
controlled vocabulary terms, were used to characterize the articles
published in statistics and probability journals that were subsequently
referenced within GIM journal articles during a recent 10-year period
(20002009).

Results

>From the 45 statistics and probability journals of interest, a total of
989 unique articles were identified as being cited by 2183 (out of a
total of about 127?469) unique GIM journal articles. The most frequently
cited statistical topics included general/other statistical methods,
followed by randomized trials, epidemiologic methods, meta-analysis,
generalized linear models, and computer simulation.

Conclusion

As statisticians continue to develop and refine techniques, the promotion
and adoption of these methods should also be addressed so that their
efforts spent in developing the methods are not done in vain. Copyright
(c) 2012 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: PJ Nietert, Med Univ S Carolina, Dept Med, Div Biostat &
                Epidemiol, 135 Cannon St,Suite 303,POB 250835, Charleston,
                SC 29425 USA

TITLE:          An introduction to the most cited papers in the history
                of Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews (1987-2012) Preface (Editorial
                Material, English)
AUTHOR:         Peppas, NA
SOURCE:         ADVANCED DRUG DELIVERY REVIEWS 64 (SUPPL). DEC 2012.
                p.1-3 ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV, AMSTERDAM

SEARCH TERM(S):  CITED  item_title; EDITORIAL  doctype

KEYWORDS+:       BLOCK-COPOLYMER MICELLES; BIOMEDICAL APPLICATIONS; CANCER-
                THERAPY; SYSTEMS; NANOPARTICLES; HYDROGELS; RELEASE;
                DESIGN

AUTHOR ADDRESS: NA Peppas, Univ Texas Austin, Dept Biomed Engn, Austin, TX
                78712 USA

TITLE:          FRBR and Tillett's Taxonomy of Bibliographic
                Relationships (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Noruzi, A
SOURCE:         KNOWLEDGE ORGANIZATION 39 (6). 2012. p.409-416
                ERGON-VERLAG, WURZBURG

SEARCH TERM(S):  BIBLIOGRAPHIC*  item_title

ABSTRACT:       Bibliographic relationships are one of the most active
research areas in knowledge organization, especially in cataloguing. This
study attempts to examine and map the FRBR (Functional Requirements for
Bibliographic Records) bibliographic relationships with Tillett's
taxonomy of bibliographic relationships, and to assess the congruence
between them. The FRBR conceptual model provides a taxonomy of
bibliographic relationships in chapter 5, illustrating them in 11 tables.
This study shows that there is considerable congruence between these two
taxonomies.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: A Noruzi, Univ Tehran, Fac Lib & Informat Sci, Tehran, Iran

TITLE:          Fifty most cited articles in orthopedic shoulder surgery
                (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Namdari, S; Baldwin, K; Kovatch, K; Huffman, GR; Glaser,
SOURCE:         JOURNAL OF SHOULDER AND ELBOW SURGERY 21 (12). DEC 2012.
                p.1796-1802 MOSBY-ELSEVIER, NEW YORK

SEARCH TERM(S):  GARFIELD E  rauth; CITED  item_title;
                 GARFIELD E         SCIENCE               178:471   1972

KEYWORDS:       Citations; references; classic papers
KEYWORDS+:       CITATION-CLASSICS; JOURNALS; IMPACT; MEDICINE

ABSTRACT:       Background: The number of times an article has been cited
has been used as a marker of its influence in a medical specialty. The
purpose of this study was to determine the 50 most cited articles in
shoulder surgery and their characteristics.

Methods: Science Citation Index Expanded was searched for citations of
articles published in any of the 61 journals in the category
"Orthopedics." Each of the journals was searched to determine the 50 most
often cited articles specific to shoulder surgery. The following
characteristics were determined for each article: authors, year of
publication, source journal, geographic origin, article type, and level
of evidence for clinical articles. Citation density (total number of
citations/years since publication) was also determined.

Results: The number of citations ranged from 1211 to 192. The 50 most
often cited articles were published in 8 journals. The majority of the
articles (42) were clinical, with the remaining representing some type of
basic science research. The most common level of evidence was IV (23).
The mean number of citations for methodologic articles (437 citations per
article) was greater than that for non-methodologic articles (301
citations per article) (P = .034).

Conclusions: Articles that introduced instruments for outcome evaluation
or that introduced classification systems (methodologic) were highly
cited regardless of the date of publication. The top 50 list presented
provides residency and fellowship directors with a group of "classic"
articles in the subspecialty of orthopedic shoulder surgery that can be
included in reading curriculums for their trainees. Level of evidence:
Review Article. (C) 2012 Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery Board of
Trustees.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: D Glaser, Univ Penn, Dept Orthopaed Surg, 3400 Spruce St,2
                Silverstein, Philadelphia, PA 19104 USA

TITLE:          Analysis of non-cited articles published in Chinese
                Medical Journal in 2010 (Editorial Material, English)
AUTHOR:         Chen, LM
SOURCE:         CHINESE MEDICAL JOURNAL 125 (23). DEC 5 2012.
                p.4319-4320 CHINESE MEDICAL ASSOC, BEIJING

SEARCH TERM(S):
                                  GARFIELD E         JAMA-J AM MED ASSOC   295:90    2006;

KEYWORDS:       non-cited articles; Chinese Medical Journal; impact
                factors
KEYWORDS+:       IMPACT FACTOR; TRANSPLANTATION; CELLS; LIVER; METASTASIS;
                THERAPY; PATHWAY; CANCER; TUMOR

AUTHOR ADDRESS: LM Chen, Chinese Med Assoc, Chinese Med Journal, Beijing
                100710, Peoples R China

TITLE:          Impact factor of Pakistani medical journals (Letter,
                English)
AUTHOR:         Ahmed, B; Husain, AA; Dossani, K
SOURCE:         JOURNAL OF THE PAKISTAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION 63 (1). JAN
                2013. p.131 PAKISTAN MEDICAL ASSOC, KARACHI

SEARCH TERM(S):  JOURNALS  item_title; IMPACT FACTOR*  item_title;
                 LETTER*  doctype

AUTHOR ADDRESS: B Ahmed, Jinnah Hosp, Lahore, Pakistan

TITLE:          Scientometrics Analysis on the Research Field of Wenchuan
                Earthquake (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Ge, Q
SOURCE:         DISASTER ADVANCES 5 (4). OCT 2012. p.704-707 DISASTER
                ADVANCES, INDORE

SEARCH TERM(S):  SMALL H            SCIENTOMETRICS          8:321   1985;
                 SCIENTOMETRIC*  item_title

KEYWORDS:       Wenchuan Earthquake; Co-citation Analysis; Information
                Visualization; CiteSpace II
KEYWORDS+:       COCITATION; SCIENCE

ABSTRACT:       Many academic researches about Wenchuan earthquake have
been carried out since 2008 till now. This paper aims to analyze the
research field of the Wenchuan Earthquake by using scientometrics and
scientific visualization techniques. CiteSpace II was used to map the
intellectual structure of the research field of the Wenchuan Earthquake
based on 1075 documents that appear in academic literatures on this topic
between 2008 and 2012 and the co-citation maps analyzed and visualized
here show the major areas of research, prominent articles, major
knowledge producers and journals in the research field of the Wenchuan
Earthquake.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: Q Ge, Shanghai Univ Finance & Econ, Humanities Coll,
                Theoret Teaching & Res Dept, Shanghai 200433, Peoples R
                China

TITLE:          A novel triangle mapping technique to study the h-index
                based citation distribution (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Zhang, CT
SOURCE:         SCIENTIFIC REPORTS 3. JAN 3 2013. p.NIL_10-NIL_14 NATURE
                PUBLISHING GROUP, LONDON

SEARCH TERM(S):  HIRSCH JE          P NATL ACAD SCI USA   102:16569 2005;
                 CITATION  item_title; CITATION*  item_title

KEYWORDS+:       OUTPUT

ABSTRACT:       The h-index has received wide attention in recent years.
The area under the citation function is divided by the h-index into three
parts, representing h-squared, excess and h-tail citations. The h-index
by itself does not carry information for excess and h-tail citations,
which can play an even more dominant role than h-index in determining the
citation curve, and therefore it is necessary to examine the relations
among them. A triangle mapping technique is proposed here to map the
three percentages of these citations onto a point within a regular
triangle. By viewing the distribution of mapping points, shapes of the
citation functions can be studied in a perceivable form. As an example,
the distribution of the mapping points for 100 most prolific economists
is studied by this technique.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: CT Zhang, Tianjin Univ, Dept Phys, Tianjin 300072, Peoples
                R China

*Record 19 of 34. Search terms matched: CITATION(1)

stephan.winnik at access.uzh.ch

Funding Acknowledgement:
[...]

*Record 22 of 34. Search terms matched: BIBLIOMETRIC(1); JOURNALS(1)
*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312599800049

Title:
Assessing the national productivity in subspecialty critical care medicine *journals*: A *bibliometric* analysis

Authors:
Li, Z; Qiu, LX; Wu, FX; Yang, LQ; Sun, YM; Lu, ZJ; Yu, WF

Author Full Names:
Li, Zhi; Qiu, Li-Xin; Wu, Fei-Xiang; Yang, Li-Qun; Sun, Yu-Ming; Lu,
Zhi-Jie; Yu, Wei-Feng

Source:
JOURNAL OF CRITICAL CARE, 27 (6):10.1016/j.jcrc.2012.03.002 DEC 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Article

Author Keywords:
Critical care medicine, Bibliometric analysis

KeyWords Plus:
SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATIONS; 10-YEAR SURVEY; CHINESE AUTHORS; LANGUAGE

Abstract:
Purpose: In recent years, significant growth has been seen in the subspecialty critical care medicine. However, the national productivity to the subspecialty critical care medicine remains unknown. We therefore intended to reveal the national contribution in the subspecialty critical care medicine journals.
Materials and Methods: Articles published in 20 highly cited journals in subspecialty critical care medicine from 2006 to 2010 were retrieved from Web of Science and PubMed. The number of total articles and randomized, controlled trials, the per capita numbers, total impact factors (IFs), and citations were tabulated to assess the contribution of different countries.
Results: A total number of 17 667 articles were published in the 20 journals from 2006 to 2010 worldwide. North America, West Europe, and East Asia were the most productive regions. High-income countries published 89.68% of the total articles. The United States published the most number of articles in 2006 to 2010 (6659/17 667, or 37.69%), followed by United Kingdom, Germany, France, and Australia. Besides, the United States also had the most number of randomized, controlled trials (260), the highest total impact factors (27 206.55), and the highest total citations (84 170). When normalized to population size, Australia had the highest number of articles per million population, followed by Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, and Belgium.
Conclusion: The United States is the most productive country in the subspecialty critical care medicine. When normalized to population size, Australia and some European countries might be more productive. (C) 2012 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Reprint Address:
Mil Med Coll 2, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surg Hosp, Dept Anesthesia & Intens Care, Shanghai, Peoples R China.

Addresses:
[Li, Zhi; Wu, Fei-Xiang; Yang, Li-Qun; Sun, Yu-Ming; Lu, Zhi-Jie; Yu, Wei-Feng] Mil Med Coll 2, Eastern Hepatobiliary Surg Hosp, Dept Anesthesia & Intens Care, Shanghai, Peoples R China
[Qiu, Li-Xin] Fudan Univ, Canc Hosp, Dept Med Oncol, Shanghai 200433, Peoples R China

E-mail Address:
ywf808 at sohu.com

Cited Reference Count:
11

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
W B SAUNDERS CO-ELSEVIER INC, 1600 JOHN F KENNEDY BOULEVARD, STE 1800, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19103-2899 USA

ISSN:
0883-9441

Article Number:
747.e1

Web of Science Categories:
Critical Care Medicine

Research Areas:
General & Internal Medicine

IDS Number:
057YF

Unique ID:
WOS:000312599800049

Cited References:
Population Division of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs of the United Nations Secretariat, 2009, World population prospects: the 2008 revision,
Gao Rui, 2008, JOURNAL OF GASTROENTEROLOGY AND HEPATOLOGY, V23, P374
Li Zhi, 2010, JOURNAL OF TRAUMA-INJURY INFECTION AND CRITICAL CARE, V69, PE20
Li Z., 2011, ANAESTHESIA AND INTENSIVE CARE, V39, P268
VILLAR J, 1988, MEDICINA CLINICA, V91, P23
Liu Ding-Hua, 2010, CLINICA CHIMICA ACTA, V411, P1502
[Anonymous], 2009, ISI Journal Citation Reports,
World Bank Data Development Group, 2011, World Bank list of economies,
van Leeuwen TN, 2001, SCIENTOMETRICS6th International Conference on Science and Technology Indicators, MAY 24-27, 2000, LEIDEN, NETHERLANDS, V51, P335
Bould M. D., 2010, ANAESTHESIA, V65, P799
Michalopoulos A, 2005, CRITICAL CARE, V9, PR258

*Record 25 of 34. Search terms matched: JOURNAL(1)
*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312645200003

Title:
The Impact of the International *Journal* of Lexicography

Authors:
Bogaards, P

Author Full Names:
Bogaards, Paul

Source:
INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF LEXICOGRAPHY, 25 (4):393-397; SI 10.1093/ijl/ecs022 DEC 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Article
Reprint Address:
Leiden Univ, NL-2300 RA Leiden, Netherlands.

Addresses:
Leiden Univ, NL-2300 RA Leiden, Netherlands

Cited Reference Count:
11

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
OXFORD UNIV PRESS, GREAT CLARENDON ST, OXFORD OX2 6DP, ENGLAND

ISSN:
0950-3846

Web of Science Categories:
Linguistics; Language & Linguistics

Research Areas:
Linguistics

IDS Number:
058PE

Unique ID:
WOS:000312645200003

Cited References:
de Schryver Gilles-Maurice, 2009, LEXIKOS, V19, P372
Garfield E., 1955, Science, V122.3159, P103
Perneger TV, 2004, BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, V329, P546
Opthof T., 2009, NETHERLANDS HEART JOURNAL, V17, P145
van Nierop Erjen, 2009, STATISTICA NEERLANDICA, V63, P52
ERIH, 2012, European Reference Index for the Humanities,
Garfield E., 2005, The Agony and the Ecstasy-The History and Meaning of the Journal Impact Factor,
Seglen PO, 1997, BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, V314, P498
de Schryver Gilles-Maurice, 2009, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF LEXICOGRAPHY, V22, P423
[Anonymous], 2005, Nature, V435.7045, P1003
Adler A., 2008, Citation Statistics,

*Record 26 of 34. Search terms matched: CITATION(1); JOURNAL(1); JOURNALS(1)

yangzg at tju.edu.cn; ctzhang at tju.edu.cn

Funding Acknowledgement:
[...]

*Record 29 of 34. Search terms matched: CITATIONS(1)
*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000311711200010

Title:
Finding *Citations* to Social Work Literature: The Relative Benefits of Using Web of Science, Scopus, or Google Scholar

Authors:
Bergman, EML

Author Full Names:
Bergman, Elaine M. Lasda

Source:
JOURNAL OF ACADEMIC LIBRARIANSHIP, 38 (6):370-379; NOV 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Article

Author Keywords:
Citation analysis, Social work, Scopus, Web of Science, Google Scholar

KeyWords Plus:
JOURNALS; IMPACT; INFORMATION; FACULTY

Abstract:
Past studies of citation coverage of Web of Science, Scopus, and Google Scholar do not demonstrate a consistent pattern that can be applied to the interdisciplinary mix of resources used in social work research. To determine the utility of these tools to social work researchers, an analysis of citing references to well-known social work journals was conducted. Web of Science had the fewest citing references and almost no variety in source format. Scopus provided higher citation counts, but the pattern of coverage was similar to Web of Science. Google Scholar provided substantially more citing references, but only a relatively small percentage of them were unique scholarly journal articles.
The patterns of database coverage were replicated when the citations were broken out for each journal separately. The results of this analysis demonstrate the need to determine what resources constitute scholarly research and reflect the need for future researchers to consider the merits of each database before undertaking their research. This study will be of interest to scholars in library and information science as well as social work, as it facilitates a greater understanding of the strengths and limitations of each database and brings to light important considerations for conducting future research.
Reprint Address:
Univ Albany, Dewey Grad Lib, 135 Western Ave, Albany, NY 12222 USA.

Addresses:
Univ Albany, Dewey Grad Lib, Albany, NY 12222 USA

E-mail Address:
elasdabergman at albany.edu

Cited Reference Count:
47

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
ELSEVIER SCIENCE INC, 360 PARK AVE SOUTH, NEW YORK, NY 10010-1710 USA

ISSN:
0099-1333

Web of Science Categories:
Information Science & Library Science

Research Areas:
Information Science & Library Science

IDS Number:
045QF

Unique ID:
WOS:000311711200010

Cited References:
Mikki Susanne, 2010, SCIENTOMETRICS, V82, P321
De Bellis Nicola, 2009, Bibliometrics and Citation Analysis: From the Science Citation Index to Cybermetrics,
Mikki Susanne, 2009, Nordic Journal of Information Literacy in Higher Education, V1,
CHEUNG KFM, 1990, SOCIAL WORK RESEARCH & ABSTRACTS, V26, P23
Beel Joeran, 2010, Journal of Electronic Publishing, V13,
Mikki, 2010, Scientometrics, V82, P330
Bornmann Lutz, 2008, Journal of Documentation, V64,
Thomson Reuters, Thomson Reuters  The Thomson Reuters Journal Selection Process  Science,
Haddow Gaby, 2010, SCIENTOMETRICS, V85, P471
Sellers SL, 2004, JOURNAL OF SOCIAL WORK EDUCATION, V40, P143
Thelwall Mike, 2008, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, V59, P805
[Anonymous], 2009, ISI Web of Science Help,
Bornmann Lutz, 2009, JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS, V3, P27
Meho Lokman I., 2007, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, V58, P2105
Meho, 2008, Citation Counting, Citation Ranking, and H-index of Human-Computer Interaction Researchers,
Sellers, 2004, Evaluation of Social Work Journal Quality, P148
Bar-Ilan Judit, 2010, SCIENTOMETRICS, V82, P495
Archambault Eric, 2009, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, V60, P1320
Harzing, 2010, The Publish or Perish Book, P221
Holden Gary, 2006, Bibliometrics in Social Work,
Furr, 1995, The Relative Influence of Social Work Journals,
Strothmann, 2010, Use of Non-Social Work Journals in Social Work Research,
Levine-Clark M., 2009, Journal of Business and Finance Librarianship, V14, P32
Pierce Sydney J., 1990, Scholarly Communication and Bibliometrics, P46
Moed H.F., 2005, Citation Analysis in Research Evaluation, Information Science and Knowledge Management, V9, P44
Kulkarni, 2009, A Comparative Citation Analysis of Web of Science, Scopus, and Google Scholar,
Meho, 2009, Assessing the Scholarly Impact of Information Studies,
Meho Lokman I., 2009, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, V60, P2499
Strothmann M., 2010, Behavioral and Social Sciences Librarian, V29, P244
Elsevier B.V., What Does It Cover?  SciVerse,
Harzing Anne-Wil, 2010, The Publish or Perish Book: Your Guide to Effective and Responsible Citation Analysis, P220
Thyer Bruce A., 2002, Council on Social Work Education-Council on Social Work Education,
FURR LA, 1995, JOURNAL OF SOCIAL WORK EDUCATION, V31, P38
Meho Lokman I., 2008, JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR INFORMATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, V59, P1711
Green RG, 1996, SOCIAL WORK RESEARCH, V20, P31
BERMAN Y, 1994, ASLIB PROCEEDINGS, V46, P225
Moed, 2005, Citation Analysis in Research Evaluation,
Norris Michael, 2007, JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS, V1, P161
Ball R., 2006, Information Services & Use, V26,
Kulkarni Abhaya V., 2009, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, V302, P1092
Cnaan, 1994, Senior Faculty Perceptions of Social Work Journals,
Kousha Kayvan, 2010, JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS, V4, P124
Bornmann Lutz, 2008, Journal of Documentation, V64, P70
Rosvall Martin, 2007, PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, V104, P7327
Elsevier B.V., CSAB  SciVerse,
CNAAN RA, 1994, JOURNAL OF SOCIAL WORK EDUCATION, V30, P185
Harzing, 2010, The Publish or Perish Book,

*Record 33 of 34. Search terms matched: CITATIONS(1)
*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312435700007

Title:
Gibbs *citations* and interpretations in the theory of surface tension of solids: A conceptual approach

Authors:
Marichev, VA

Author Full Names:
Marichev, V. A.

Source:
PROTECTION OF METALS AND PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY OF SURFACES, 48 (6):636-648; 10.1134/S2070205112060068 NOV 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Article

KeyWords Plus:
HERMANNS MATHEMATICAL STRUCTURE; GENERAL THERMODYNAMIC EQUATIONS; SHUTTLEWORTH EQUATION; CYCLIC VOLTAMMETRY; LIPPMANN EQUATION; STRESS; WATER; INCOMPATIBILITY; ENERGY; ELASTICITY

Abstract:
Josiah Willard Gibbs is definitely the most respectable and citable author in the surface tension of solids, however there are many incorrect citations of concepts and notions ascribed to Gibbs, but completely alien to his scientific heritage. Unfortunately, they became decidedly important for development of the contemporary theory of the surface tension of solids. For example, the erroneous notion of the "reversible cleavage", as the conceptual background of this theory, appeared half a century after the most recent Gibbs' works. Here we discuss not just formal linguistic, but conceptual matters using the advanced statistical method to identify wrong concepts ascribed to Gibbs. They existed in the theory of surface tension of solids for long decades and were accepted and used by most experts in this field. Today, we should formally recognize the high status of the current theory of surface tension of solids since it is supported by the scientific majority. It is based on th!
 e Shuttleworth equation, the vague concept of "reversible cleavage" and incorrect citations and interpretations of Gibbs thermodynamics. Up till now, neither this equation nor the theory as a whole had any experimental confirmations; moreover, they were shown to contradict all available experimental data. In connection with incorrect citations and interpretations of Gibbs works, we underline some pseudo-concepts and terms that Gibbs never used (like "reversible cleavage" or just "cleavage"), and contrarily, the important notions that Gibbs introduced for the first time, but almost nobody heard about them, for example -"actual and possible components" and the principal absence of "pure phases" in equilibrium of multiphase systems. We have also considered in detail the key difference between citation (as a possible free and often incorrect interpretation of the original text) and quotation (as an exact part of the original). Semantically citations and quotations are usually r!
 egarded as synonyms, but in practice it is not always correct !
 and the
sequences of their proposed equivalence might be critical for development of new concepts and theories. DOI: 10.1134/S2070205112060068

E-mail Address:
vmarichev at mail.ru

Cited Reference Count:
71

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
MAIK NAUKA/INTERPERIODICA/SPRINGER, 233 SPRING ST, NEW YORK, NY 10013-1578 USA

ISSN:
2070-2051

Web of Science Categories:
Metallurgy & Metallurgical Engineering

Research Areas:
Metallurgy & Metallurgical Engineering

IDS Number:
055RX

Unique ID:
WOS:000312435700007

Cited References:
McMorrow D., 2011, Elements of Modern X-ray Physics,
Bulienkov N.A., 2009, J. Structural Chem, V50, PS86
Andreev Y.A., 1998, Intern. J. Quantum Chem, V7, P767
Trasatti S., 1986, J. Electroanal. Chem, V205, P359
Boys C.V., 1889, Soap-Bubbles and the Forces which Mould Them. Course of Three Lectures,
Childress Stephen, 2010, JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS, V644, P1
LANG G, 1995, JOURNAL OF ELECTROANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY, V391, P169
Shpyrko O.G., 2003, Experimental X-Ray Studies of Liquid Surfaces,
Bulienkov N. A., 2006, RUSSIAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY, V80, P1584
Bottomley DJ, 2001, PHYSICAL REVIEW B, V63,
Eriksson Jan Christer, 2010, SURFACE SCIENCE, V604, P1062
BROWN RC, 1947, PROCEEDINGS OF THE PHYSICAL SOCIETY OF LONDON, V59, P429
Guggenheim E.A., 1940, Transactions of the Faraday Society, V36,
Marichev V. A., 2010, SURFACE SCIENCE, V604, P458
Bancroft WD, 1927, JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY, V31, P69
Chattopadhyay Sudeshna, 2010, PHYSICAL REVIEW B, V81,
Smetanin M., 2009, PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY CHEMICAL PHYSICS, V11, P9008
Hu David L., 2010, JOURNAL OF FLUID MECHANICS, V644, P5
Haiss W, 2001, REPORTS ON PROGRESS IN PHYSICS, V64, P591
CAMMARATA RC, 1994, ANNUAL REVIEW OF MATERIALS SCIENCE, V24, P215
Anderson G.,
Gokhshtein A.Ya., 1976, Surface Tension of Solids and Adsorption,
COUCHMAN PR, 1977, JOURNAL OF ELECTROANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY, V85, P407
Bottomley D. J., 2009, SURFACE SCIENCE, V603, P2350
SHUTTLEWORTH R, 1950, PROCEEDINGS OF THE PHYSICAL SOCIETY OF LONDON SECTION A, V63, P444
Lipkowski J, 1998, JOURNAL OF ELECTROANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY, V452, P193
Izraelashvili J., 1966, Nature (London), V379, P219
Linford R.G., 1972, Chem. Soc. Rev, V1, P1
Rusanov AI, 2005, SURFACE SCIENCE REPORTS, V58, P111
Binning G., 1986, Physics,
Valincius G, 1999, JOURNAL OF ELECTROANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY, V478, P40
Marichev V. A., 2009, SURFACE SCIENCE, V603, P3212
Ibach Harald, 2009, SURFACE SCIENCE, V603, P2352
Marichev V. A., 2012, PROTECTION OF METALS AND PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY OF SURFACES, V48, P495
Lang GG, 2005, JOURNAL OF SOLID STATE ELECTROCHEMISTRY, V9, P347
Rusanov A. I., 2009, JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL PHYSICS, V131,
Marichev V. A., 2008, PROTECTION OF METALS, V44, P99
DAILLANT J, 1989, EUROPHYSICS LETTERS, V8, P453
Domps A., 2011, EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICS, V32, P559
Grafov B.M., 2006, J. Solid State Electrochem, V10, P636
Gutman E.M., 2011, Surf. Sci, V605, P21
Eriksson Jan Christer, 2011, SURFACE SCIENCE, V605, P646
Kramer Dominik, 2008, SURFACE SCIENCE, V602, P1133
Smetanin Maxim, 2011, PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY CHEMICAL PHYSICS, V13, P17313
Roman B., 2010, JOURNAL OF PHYSICS-CONDENSED MATTER, V22,
Marichev V. A., 2011, PROTECTION OF METALS AND PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY OF SURFACES, V47, P25
Lang G, 1999, JOURNAL OF ELECTROANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY, V472, P168
CAMMARATA RC, 1994, PROGRESS IN SURFACE SCIENCE, V46, P1
Marichev V. A., 2011, PROTECTION OF METALS AND PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY OF SURFACES, V47, P528
Denny MW, 2004, JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY, V207, P1601
Boys C.V., 1959, Soap Bubbles, Their Colours,
Rusanov AI, 2003, DOKLADY PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY, V393, P350
Bottomley D. J., 2009, SURFACE SCIENCE, V603, P2347
GUTMAN EM, 1995, JOURNAL OF PHYSICS-CONDENSED MATTER, V7, PL663
Marichev V. A., 2007, CHEMICAL PHYSICS LETTERS, V434, P218
Grafov B.M., 2009, Russian J. Electrochem, V45, P73
Chattopadhyay S., 2009, APS 2009 March Meeting,
LINFORD RG, 1978, CHEMICAL REVIEWS, V78, P81
Marichev V. A., 2011, SURFACE SCIENCE, V605, P2097
Lang G. G., 2009, CHEMICAL AND BIOCHEMICAL ENGINEERING QUARTERLY, V23, P1
Summ BD, 2005, RUSSIAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY, V79, P141
Bottomley D. J., 2009, SURFACE SCIENCE, V603, P97
Smetanin M., 2008, LANGMUIR, V24, P8561
Rusanov A.I., 2010, Colloid J, V75, P673
Bottomley D. J., 2009, SURFACE SCIENCE, V603, P2356
Eriksson J.C., 1969, Surface Science, V14,
Gibbs J.W., 1906, The Scientific Papers of J. Willard Gibbs, V1,
Gokhshtein A.Ya., 1975, Russ. Chem. Rev, V44, P921
de Levie R, 2004, JOURNAL OF ELECTROANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY, V562, P273
Proost J, 2005, JOURNAL OF SOLID STATE ELECTROCHEMISTRY, V9, P660
Marichev V. A., 2008, SURFACE SCIENCE, V602, P1131

TITLE:          WAEA Presidential Address Deciding Where to Publish: Some
                Observations on Journal Impact Factor and Article Influence Score
                (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Perry, GM
SOURCE:         JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL AND RESOURCE ECONOMICS 37 (3).
                DEC 2012. p.335-348 WESTERN AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS
                ASSOC, LOGAN

SEARCH TERM(S):
                 GROSS PLK          SCIENCE                66:385   1927;
                 IMPACT FACTOR*  item_title; JOURNAL  item_title;
                 GARFIELD E         JAMA-J AM MED ASSOC   295:90    2006

KEYWORDS:       article influence score; citation analysis; economic
                literature; impact factor; research
KEYWORDS+:       GROUNDWATER; CITATIONS; ECONOMICS

ABSTRACT:       This article provides the history underlying the journal
impact factor and weaknesses of this measure to evaluate journal quality.
The Eigenfactor and Article Influence Scores are suggested as an improved
way to compare research quality and impact across disciplines. The
network analysis underlying the Eigenfactor approach suggests the
agricultural and natural resource economics profession can have a larger
impact on the scientific community by directing more research effort
towards interdisciplinary work. The Article Influence approach is used to
develop a seven-tier system to evaluate research quality, to be used
either to guide individual faculty about where to publish their research
or to evaluate the research portfolio of a department.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: GM Perry, Colorado State Univ, Dept Agr & Resource Econ, Ft
                Collins, CO 80523 USA

TITLE:          Citations Prize 2012 (Editorial Material, English)
AUTHOR:         Cherry, S; Ruffle, J
SOURCE:         PHYSICS IN MEDICINE AND BIOLOGY 58 (2). JAN 21 2012.
                p.NIL_4 IOP PUBLISHING LTD, BRISTOL

SEARCH TERM(S):  CITATION*  item_title; EDITORIAL  doctype

TITLE:          Scientific Collaboration and Article Citations: Practices
                in Medical Journals. (Article, French)
AUTHOR:         Bador, P; Lafouge, T
SOURCE:         THERAPIE 67 (6). NOV-DEC 2012. p.505-513 EDP SCIENCES S
                A, LES ULIS CEDEX A

KEYWORDS:       scientific collaboration; citations; co-signature;
                medicine; pharmacy
KEYWORDS+:       CO-AUTHORSHIP; SEARCH; IMPACT

[...]

AUTHOR ADDRESS: P Bador, Univ Lyon 1, Equipe ELICO, ISPB Fac Pharm, Ctr
                Documentat Pharmaceut, 8 Ave Rockefeller, F-69373 Lyon 08,
                France

TITLE:          Use and misuse of the Impact Factor (Editorial Material,
                English)
AUTHOR:         Shubert, E
SOURCE:         SYSTEMATICS AND BIODIVERSITY 10 (4). 2012. p.391-394
                TAYLOR & FRANCIS LTD, ABINGDON

SEARCH TERM(S):  GARFIELD E  rauth; IMPACT FACTOR*  item_title;
                 HIRSCH JE          P NATL ACAD SCI USA   102:16569 2005;
                 EDITORIAL  doctype

AUTHOR ADDRESS: E Shubert, Nat Hist Museum, Dept Life Sci, Cromwell Rd,
                London SW7 5BD, England

TITLE:          The evaluation of the global energy and fuels research: A
                scientometric approach (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Konur, O
SOURCE:         ENERGY EDUCATION SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY PART A-ENERGY
                SCIENCE AND RESEARCH 30 (1). OCT 2012. p.613-628 SILA
                SCIENCE, TRABZON

SEARCH TERM(S):  SCIENTOMETRIC*  item_title

KEYWORDS:       Energy; Fuels; Research evaluation; Research productivity;
                Scientometrics; Web of Knowledge
KEYWORDS+:       RESEARCH-AND-DEVELOPMENT; HIGHER-EDUCATION; DISABLED
[...]

AUTHOR ADDRESS: O Konur, Sirnak Univ, Fac Engn, TR-73000 Sirnak, Turkey

TITLE:          The Use of the h-index in Academic Otolaryngology
                (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Svider, PF; Choudhry, ZA; Choudhry, OJ; Baredes, S; Liu,
                JK; Eloy, JA
SOURCE:         LARYNGOSCOPE 123 (1). JAN 2013. p.103-106
                WILEY-BLACKWELL, HOBOKEN

SEARCH TERM(S):  HIRSCH JE          P NATL ACAD SCI USA   102:16569 2005

KEYWORDS:       h-index; academic promotion; academic productivity; h-
                index in otolaryngology; faculty promotion; faculty
                productivity; otolaryngology faculty productivity;
                academic physician scientific productivity; academic rank
                determination; academic rank in otolaryngology
KEYWORDS+:       RESEARCH OUTPUT; ANESTHESIOLOGISTS; GUIDELINES; RANKING;
                NUMBERS

ABSTRACT:       Objective/Hypothesis: The h-index is an objective and
easily calculable measure that can be used to evaluate both the relevance
and amount of scientific contributions of an individual author. Our
objective was to examine how the h-index of academic otolaryngologists
relates with academic rank. Study Design: A descriptive and correlational
design was used for analysis of academic otolaryngologists' h-indices
using the Scopus database. Methods: H-indices of faculty members from 50
otolaryngology residency programs were calculated using the Scopus
database, and data was organized by academic rank. Additionally, an
analysis of the h-indices of departmental chairpersons among different
specialties was performed. Results: H-index values of academic
otolaryngologists were higher with increased academic rank among the
levels of assistant professor, associate professor, and professor. There
was no significant difference between the h-indices of professors and
department chairpersons within otolaryngology. H-indices of chairpersons
in different academic specialties were compared and were significantly
different, suggesting that the use of this metric may not be appropriate
for comparing different fields. Conclusions: The h-index is a reliable
tool for quantifying academic productivity within otolaryngology. This
measure is easily calculable and may be useful when evaluating decisions
regarding advancement within academic otolaryngology departments.
Comparison of this metric among faculty members from different fields,
however, may not be reliable. Laryngoscope, 2013

AUTHOR ADDRESS: JA Eloy, Univ Med & Dent New Jersey, New Jersey Med Sch,
                Dept Otolaryngol Head & Neck Surg, 90 Bergen St,Suite 8100,
                Newark, NJ 07103 USA

TITLE:          Is NIH Funding Predictive of Greater Research
                Productivity and Impact Among Academic Otolaryngologists? (Article,
                English)
AUTHOR:         Svider, PF; Mauro, KM; Sanghvi, S; Setzen, M; Baredes, S;
                Eloy, JA
SOURCE:         LARYNGOSCOPE 123 (1). JAN 2013. p.118-122
                WILEY-BLACKWELL, HOBOKEN

SEARCH TERM(S):  HIRSCH JE          P NATL ACAD SCI USA   102:16569 2005

KEYWORDS:       NIH funding; h-index; academic promotion; academic
                productivity; faculty productivity; surgical faculty
                productivity; academic physician scientific productivity;
                academic rank determination; NIH funding and h-index;
                academic otolaryngologist research productivity
KEYWORDS+:       H-INDEX; CLINICIAN-EDUCATORS; PROMOTION CRITERIA; UNITED-
                STATES; SCIENTISTS; ANESTHESIOLOGISTS; RANKING; OUTPUT

ABSTRACT:       Objectives/Hypothesis: The h-index is an accurate and
reliable indicator of scholarly productivity that takes into account
relevance, significance, and influence of research contributions. As
such, it is an effective, objective bibliometric that can be used to
evaluate academic otolaryngologists for decisions regarding appointment
and advancement. In this study, we evaluate the impact of NIH funding on
scholarly productivity in otolaryngology. Study Design: Analysis of
bibliometric data of academic otolaryngologists. Methods: Funding data
for the 20 otolaryngology departments with the largest aggregate total of
NIH grants for the fiscal years (FY) 2011 and 2012 was obtained using the
National Institutes of Health Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools
Expenditures and Reports (RePORTER) Database. H-indices were calculated
using the Scopus online database, and then compared to funding data at
both the departmental and individual level. Results: Faculty members in
otolaryngology departments who received NIH funding had significantly
greater research productivity and impact, as measured by the h-index,
than their nonfunded peers. H-indices increased with greater NIH funding
levels, and investigators with MD degrees tended to have higher mean NIH
funding levels than those with PhDs. While there was no correlation
between average h-index and NIH funding totals at the level of
departments, there was greater correlation upon examination of NIH
funding levels of individual investigators. Conclusions: The h-index has
a strong relationship with, and may be predictive of, grant awards of NIH-
funded faculty members in otolaryngology departments. This bibliometric
may be useful in decisions regarding appointment and advancement of
faculty members within academic otolaryngology departments. Laryngoscope,
2013

AUTHOR ADDRESS: JA Eloy, Univ Med & Dent New Jersey, New Jersey Med Sch,
                Dept Otolaryngol Head & Neck Surg, 90 Bergen St,Suite 8100,
                Newark, NJ 07103 USA

TITLE:          Assessing the Effect of Highly Cited Papers on the Impact
                Factor of Journals in the Field of Public Health (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Rezaei, E; Navidi, I; Rokni, MB; Pourmand, MR
SOURCE:         IRANIAN JOURNAL OF PUBLIC HEALTH 41 (12). DEC 2012.
                p.84-85 IRANIAN SCIENTIFIC SOCIETY MEDICAL ENTOMOLOGY,
                TEHRAN

SEARCH TERM(S):  MACROBERTS MH  rauth; CITED  item_title;
                 JOURNALS  item_title; IMPACT FACTOR*  item_title

KEYWORDS:       Impact factor; Public health; Journal

ABSTRACT:       Background: The aim of this study was to appraisal the
effect of highly cited papers in the field of public health and find out
whether the unusual citations affect the ranking order of the journals in
this field or not. A total number of 142 journals titles were listed in
Journal Citation Report (ISI Thomson) in the field of "Public,
Environmental & Occupational Health". All but one of them had published
papers at least for a year from 2009 to 2010. Journal title, number of
citations and publication year of 45685 papers were collected from ISI
web of knowledge database at December 25, 2011. About half of the papers
(23226) had no citations and 89.4% (40835) had less than 6 citations. We
concluded that the ranking of journals in the field of public health is
not affected by the individual papers with unusual number of citations.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: MR Pourmand, Univ Tehran Med Sci, Sch Publ Hlth, Dept
                Pathobiol, Tehran, Iran

TITLE:          A Measure of Total Research Impact Independent of Time
                and Discipline (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Pepe, A; Kurtz, MJ
SOURCE:         PLOS ONE 7 (11). NOV 7 2012. p.NIL_60-NIL_66 PUBLIC
                LIBRARY SCIENCE, SAN FRANCISCO

SEARCH TERM(S):  PRICE DJD  rauth;
                 HIRSCH JE          P NATL ACAD SCI USA   102:16569 2005;
                 MERTON RK          SCIENCE               159:56    1968;
                 GARFIELD E         SCIENCE               122:108   1955;
                 GARFIELD E         SCIENCE               178:471   1972

KEYWORDS+:       SCIENTIFIC IMPACT; CITATION ANALYSIS; INDEX; SCIENCE;
                NATIONS; NORMALIZATION; JOURNALS

ABSTRACT:       Authorship and citation practices evolve with time and
differ by academic discipline. As such, indicators of research
productivity based on citation records are naturally subject to
historical and disciplinary effects. We observe these effects on a corpus
of astronomer career data constructed from a database of refereed
publications. We employ a simple mechanism to measure research output
using author and reference counts available in bibliographic databases to
develop a citation-based indicator of research productivity. The total
research impact (tori) quantifies, for an individual, the total amount of
scholarly work that others have devoted to his/her work, measured in the
volume of research papers. A derived measure, the research impact
quotient (riq), is an age-independent measure of an individual's research
ability. We demonstrate that these measures are substantially less
vulnerable to temporal debasement and cross-disciplinary bias than the
most popular current measures. The proposed measures of research impact,
tori and riq, have been implemented in the Smithsonian/NASA Astrophysics
Data System.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: A Pepe, Harvard Univ, Ctr Astrophys, Cambridge, MA 02138 USA

TITLE:          How Are Academic Age, Productivity and Collaboration
                Related to Citing Behavior of Researchers? (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Milojevic, S
SOURCE:         PLOS ONE 7 (11). NOV 7 2012. p.NIL_2319-NIL_2331 PUBLIC
                LIBRARY SCIENCE, SAN FRANCISCO

SEARCH TERM(S):  GARFIELD E         CURR CONTENTS            :5     1982;
           LINE MB  rauth; MORAVCSIK MJ  rauth;
                 PRICE DJD  rauth; ZUCKERMAN H  rauth;
                 SMALL HG           SOC STUD SCI            8:327   1978

KEYWORDS+:       SCIENTIFIC LITERATURE; CORE JOURNALS; HALF-LIFE; CITATION;
                SCIENCE; AUTHORS; IMPACT; REFERENCES; HISTORY; GROWTH

ABSTRACT:       References are an essential component of research
articles and therefore of scientific communication. In this study we
investigate referencing (citing) behavior in five diverse fields
(astronomy, mathematics, robotics, ecology and economics) based on
213,756 core journal articles. At the macro level we find: (a) a steady
increase in the number of references per article over the period studied
(50 years), which in some fields is due to a higher rate of usage, while
in others reflects longer articles and (b) an increase in all fields in
the fraction of older, foundational references since the 1980s, with no
obvious change in citing patterns associated with the introduction of the
Internet. At the meso level we explore current (2006-2010) referencing
behavior of different categories of authors (21,562 total) within each
field, based on their academic age, productivity and collaborative
practices. Contrary to some previous findings and expectations we find
that senior researchers use references at the same rate as their junior
colleagues, with similar rates of re-citation (use of same references in
multiple papers). High Modified Price Index (MPI, which measures the
speed of the research front more accurately than the traditional Price
Index) of senior authors indicates that their research has the similar
cutting-edge aspect as that of their younger colleagues. In all fields
both the productive researchers and especially those who collaborate more
use a significantly lower fraction of foundational references and have
much higher MPI and lower re-citation rates, i.e., they are the ones
pushing the research front regardless of researcher age. This paper
introduces improved bibliometric methods to measure the speed of the
research front, disambiguate lead authors in co-authored papers and
decouple measures of productivity and collaboration.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: S Milojevic, Indiana Univ, Sch Lib & Informat Sci,
                Bloomington, IN 47401 USA

TITLE:          Misconduct Policies in High-Impact Biomedical Journals
                (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Bosch, X; Hernandez, C; Pericas, JM; Doti, P; Marusic, A
SOURCE:         PLOS ONE 7 (12). DEC 19 2012. p.NIL_584-NIL_592 PUBLIC
                LIBRARY SCIENCE, SAN FRANCISCO

SEARCH TERM(S):  JOURNALS  item_title

KEYWORDS+:       PUBLICATION ETHICS; SCIENTIFIC MISCONDUCT; MEDICAL
                LITERATURE; INTEGRITY; STANDARDS; ASSOCIATION;
                RETRACTIONS; SCIENCE

ABSTRACT:       Background: It is not clear which research misconduct
policies are adopted by biomedical journals. This study assessed the
prevalence and content policies of the most influential biomedical
journals on misconduct and procedures for handling and responding to
allegations of misconduct.

Methods: We conducted a cross-sectional study of misconduct policies of
399 high-impact biomedical journals in 27 biomedical categories of the
Journal Citation Reports in December 2011. Journal websites were reviewed
for information relevant to misconduct policies.

Results: Of 399 journals, 140 (35.1%) provided explicit definitions of
misconduct. Falsification was explicitly mentioned by 113 (28.3%)
journals, fabrication by 104 (26.1%), plagiarism by 224 (56.1%),
duplication by 242 (60.7%) and image manipulation by 154 (38.6%).
Procedures for responding to misconduct were described in 179 (44.9%)
websites, including retraction, (30.8%) and expression of concern
(16.3%). Plagiarism-checking services were used by 112 (28.1%) journals.
The prevalences of all types of misconduct policies were higher in
journals that endorsed any policy from editors' associations, Office of
Research Integrity or professional societies compared to those that did
not state adherence to these policy-producing bodies. Elsevier and Wiley-
Blackwell had the most journals included (22.6% and 14.8%, respectively),
with Wiley journals having greater a prevalence of misconduct definition
and policies on falsification, fabrication and expression of concern and
Elsevier of plagiarism-checking services.

Conclusions: Only a third of top-ranking peer-reviewed journals had
publicly-available definitions of misconduct and less than a half
described procedures for handling allegations of misconduct. As
endorsement of international policies from policy-producing bodies was
positively associated with implementation of policies and procedures,
journals and their publishers should standardize their policies globally
in order to increase public trust in the integrity of the published
record in biomedicine.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: X Bosch, Univ Barcelona, Dept Internal Med, Inst Invest
                Biomed, Hosp Clin, Barcelona, Spain

TITLE:          Publication of Original Research in Urologic Journals - A
                Neglected Orphan? (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Mani, J; Makarevic, J; Juengel, E; Ackermann, H; Nelson,
                K; Haferkamp, A; Blaheta, RA
SOURCE:         PLOS ONE 7 (12). DEC 19 2012. p.NIL_872-NIL_875 PUBLIC
                LIBRARY SCIENCE, SAN FRANCISCO

SEARCH TERM(S):  JOURNALS  item_title

KEYWORDS+:       SCIENCE

ABSTRACT:       The pathophysiologic mechanisms behind urologic disease
are increasingly being elucidated. The object of this investigation was
to evaluate the publication policies of urologic journals during a period
of progressively better understanding and management of urologic disease.
Based on the ISI Web of Knowledge Journal Citation Reports and the PubMed
database, the number and percentage of original experimental, original
clinical, review or commentarial articles published between 2002-2010 in
six leading urologic journals were analyzed. "British Journal of Urology
International", "European Urology", "Urologic Oncology-Seminars and
Original Investigations" ("Urologic Oncology"), "Urology", "The Journal
of Urology", and "World Journal of Urology" were chosen, because these
journals publish articles in all four categories. The publication
policies of the six journals were very heterogeneous during the time
period from 2002 to 2010. The percentage of original experimental and
original clinical articles, related to all categories, remained the same
in "British Journal of Urology International", "Urologic Oncology",
"Urology" and "The Journal of Urology". The percentage of experimental
reports in "World Journal of Urology" between 2002-2010 significantly
increased from 10 to 20%. A distinct elevation in the percentage of
commentarial articles accompanied by a reduction of clinical articles
became evident in "European Urology" which significantly correlated with
a large increase in the journal's impact factor. No clearly superior
policy could be identified with regard to a general increase in the
impact factors from all the journals. The publication policy of urologic
journals does not expressly reflect the increase in scientific knowledge,
which has occurred over the period 2002-2010. One way of increasing the
exposure of urologists to research and expand the interface between
experimental and clinical research, would be to enlarge the percentage of
experimental articles published. There is no indication that such policy
would be detrimental to a journal's impact factor.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: RA Blaheta, Goethe Univ Frankfurt, Dept Urol, Frankfurt,
                Germany

TITLE:          Measuring the international spreading of the knowledge
                produced by French dental master theses (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Gillet, D; Berard, A; Faivre, O; Sarrazy, B
SOURCE:         EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF DENTAL EDUCATION 17 (1). FEB 2013.
                p.26-29 WILEY-BLACKWELL, HOBOKEN

SEARCH TERM(S):  HIRSCH JE          P NATL ACAD SCI USA   102:16569 2005

KEYWORDS:       students; dental master theses; knowledge spreading;
                publications
KEYWORDS+:       PUBLICATION

ABSTRACT:       We estimated the international spreading of the knowledge
produced by French dental master theses by searching for corresponding
publications, either as articles in Medline-indexed journals or abstracts
of IADR meetings published in the Journal of Dental Research. From the
634 theses defended in 2010 in the 16 French odontology faculties, we
found only one article, in a journal without impact factor, and six
abstracts, over a 3-year period (20092011). This corresponds to a
spreading rate of 0.6%. The participation rate of French odontology
faculties at IADR meetings varies from 37.5% to 81.3% depending on the
year. Although there are very few studies available on the matter, it
appears that this international spreading rate is much lower than both
the one found by Nieminen for odontology in Finland (8.2%) and typical
spreading rates of medical theses (from 6% to 41% depending on the
country). This great discrepancy could be explained by the lack of
specific training provided to the students; the low awareness and little
engagement of the students themselves, usually more concerned with their
own private practice work; and the inadequate involvement of their
supervisors. To tackle the lack of appropriate training, we suggest that
a specific course on scientific writing should be offered to the students
in the last year of their dental master studies.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: D Gillet, Fac Odontol, 16-20 Cours Marne, F-33082 Bordeaux,
                France

TITLE:          Rich Media and Rich Science; Web Squared Cumulativity
                Conceptualization (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Westlund, O
SOURCE:         EUROPEAN REVIEW 20 (2). MAY 2012. p.182-194 CAMBRIDGE
                UNIV PRESS, CAMBRIDGE

SEARCH TERM(S):  ARUNACHALAM S  rauth; MERTON RK  rauth;
                 MERTON RK          SCIENCE               159:56    1968

ABSTRACT:       Scientists work by collecting observable evidence of
different phenomena, from which they analyse and construct theoretical
explanations. Consequently, science involves systematic efforts to
increase human knowledge, a phenomenon that is usually described as
'cumulativity'. Most scientists would probably agree that (excellent)
research should be cumulative, and by this they usually mean that
scientists should accommodate and refer to the publications of other
scholars. This article suggests that our perception of science would
benefit from a broader and more nuanced approach to cumulativity. The
article therefore provides a discussion on how contemporary scholars can
approach cumulativity by adopting the fundamental ideology of the web 2.0
and web squared concepts. A proposition for an altered approach is
posited through web squared cumulativity conceptualization, involving a
more open and collaborative approach. The discussion provides a foretaste
of contemporary initiatives that suggest the spread of this emerging
trend.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: O Westlund, Univ Gothenburg, Dept Journalism Media &
                Commun, Box 710, S-40530 Gothenburg, Sweden

TITLE:          Comparing Paper Ranking Algorithms (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Dunaiski, M; Visser, W
SOURCE:         PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOUTH AFRICAN INSTITUTE FOR COMPUTER
                SCIENTISTS AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGISTS CONFERENCE.
                2012. p.21-30 ASSOC COMPUTING MACHINERY, NEW YORK

SEARCH TERM(S):   PRICE DJD  rauth;
                 HIRSCH JE          P NATL ACAD SCI USA   102:16569 2005;
                 KESSLER MM         AM DOC                 14:10    1963;
                 SMALL H            J AM SOC INFORM SCI    24:265   1973;
                 GARFIELD E         SCIENTOMETRICS          1:359   1979

KEYWORDS:       Citation analysis; Paper ranking; PageRank; CiteRank
KEYWORDS+:       SCIENTIFIC PAPERS

ABSTRACT:       The research presented in this paper focuses on comparing
and evaluating various ranking algorithms that can be used on citation
graphs in order to rank individual papers according to their importance
and relevance. The graph analysis algorithms investigated in this paper
are PageRank, CiteRank and an algorithm proposed by Hwang et al. [9] and
compared to the method of simply counting the number of citations of a
publication. In addition, a new algorithm, NewRank, is proposed which is
a combination of the PageRank and CiteRank algorithms with the focus on
identifying influential papers that were published recently. A
customizable crawler framework was developed to collect publication
datasets from various sources. The development of this framework is
discussed in detail. Finally, the ranking algorithms are evaluated
against the list of the most influential papers compiled by the ICSE
selection committee(1).

AUTHOR ADDRESS: M Dunaiski, Univ Stellenbosch, MIH Media Lab, ZA-7602
                Matieland, South Africa

TITLE:          Predicting Scholars' Scientific Impact (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Mazloumian, A
SOURCE:         PLOS ONE 7 (11). NOV 21 2012. p.NIL_421-NIL_425 PUBLIC
                LIBRARY SCIENCE, SAN FRANCISCO

SEARCH TERM(S):
                 HIRSCH JE          P NATL ACAD SCI USA   102:16569 2005;
                 GARFIELD E         INT J EPIDEMIOL        35:1123  2006

KEYWORDS+:       H-INDEX; CITATION COUNTS; SCIENCE; INDICATORS;
                PERFORMANCE; OUTPUT

ABSTRACT:       We tested the underlying assumption that citation counts
are reliable predictors of future success, analyzing complete citation
data on the careers of similar to 150,000 scientists. Our results show
that i) among all citation indicators, the annual citations at the time
of prediction is the best predictor of future citations, ii) future
citations of a scientist's published papers can be predicted accurately
(r(2)=0.80 for a 1-year prediction, P<0.001) but iii) future citations of
future work are hardly predictable.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: A Mazloumian, ETH, Dept Humanities & Social Sci, Chair
                Sociol Particular Modeling & Simulat, Zurich, Switzerland

TITLE:          Constructed wetlands, 1991-2011: A review of research
                development, current trends, and future directions (Review, English)
AUTHOR:         Zhi, W; Ji, GD
SOURCE:         SCIENCE OF THE TOTAL ENVIRONMENT 441. DEC 15 2012.
                p.19-27 ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV, AMSTERDAM

SEARCH TERM(S):
                 GARFIELD E         CURR CONTENTS          32:5     1990;
                 GARFIELD E         CURR CONTENTS          33:5     1990

KEYWORDS:       Constructed wetland; Research development; Current trend;
                Future direction; Bibliometric
KEYWORDS+:       OIL-PRODUCED WATER; BIBLIOMETRIC ANALYSIS; WASTE-WATER;
                REMOVAL; TECHNOLOGY; DISKETTE; METALS; PLUS

ABSTRACT:       This study explores a bibliometric approach to
quantitatively evaluate global scientific constructed wetlands research,
and statistically assess current trends, and future directions using the
Science Citation Index Expanded (SCI-EXPANDED) database from 1991 to
2011. Articles referencing constructed wetlands were analyzed by
accessing the following: publication language, output characteristics,
publication performance by country and institution, author keywords,
title words, and KeyWords Plus. Synthetically analyzing three keyword
types, we concluded that the dominant constructed wetlands research
hotspots from 1991 to 2011 included water, nutrients, plants, and flow.
These four hotspots remained the most dominant research areas throughout
our study period, and are predicted to remain the top research emphases
in the near future. "Soil" also exhibited a notable increase since 2005,
and is likely to become another notable area of research interest in the
future. "Phytoremediation" and "horizontal" were not identified in 1991-
1995, but exhibited marked increases from 136th (0.5%) and 169th (0.7%)
in 1996-2000, to 9th (3.8%) and 11th (4.3%) in 2006-2011, respectively.
Therefore, given the heightened attention during the last 15 years, these
topics are likely to become a primary research focus in upcoming years.
(C) 2012 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: GD Ji, Peking Univ, Dept Environm Engn, Minist Educ, Key
                Lab Water & Sediment Sci, Beijing 100871, Peoples R China

TITLE:          The impact of 10 years of war on combat casualty care
                research: A citation analysis (Review, English)
AUTHOR:         Orman, JA; Eastridge, BJ; Baer, DG; Gerhardt, RT;
                Rasmussen, TE; Blackbourne, LH
SOURCE:         JOURNAL OF TRAUMA AND ACUTE CARE SURGERY 73 (SUPPL). DEC
                2012. p.S403-S408 LIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS,
                PHILADELPHIA

SEARCH TERM(S):  CITATION  item_title; CITATION ANALYS*  item_title;
                 CITATION*  item_title

KEYWORDS+:       OPERATION-ENDURING-FREEDOM; MASSIVE TRANSFUSION; IRAQI-
                FREEDOM; TRAUMA CENTER; RESUSCITATION; COAGULOPATHY;
                SURVIVAL; CLASSICS; WOUNDS; INJURY

AUTHOR ADDRESS: JA Orman, USA, Inst Surg Res, ATTN MCMR SRR, 3698 Chambers
                Pass, Ft Sam Houston, TX 78234 USA