Papers of possible interest to readers of Sig Metrics

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSONREUTERS.COM
Sat Jan 5 14:20:00 EST 2013

TITLE:          Citation Classics in Suicide and Life Threatening
                Behavior: A Research Note (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Stack, S
SOURCE:         SUICIDE AND LIFE-THREATENING BEHAVIOR 42 (6). DEC 2012.
                p.628-639 WILEY-BLACKWELL, HOBOKEN

SEARCH TERM(S):

                 GARFIELD E         JAMA-J AM MED ASSOC   257:52    1987;
                 GARFIELD E         JAMA-J AM MED ASSOC   295:90    2006;
KEYWORDS+:       ADOLESCENT SUICIDE; JOURNALS; ARTICLES; MEDICINE; QUALITY;
                IMPACT; RISK; PSYCHOLOGY

ABSTRACT:       The number of citations a scholarly work receives is a
common measure of its impact on the scientific literature; citation
classics are the most highly cited works. The content of Suicide and Life-
Threatening Behavior (SLTB) citation classics is described here. The
impact of SLTB citation classics is compared to their counterparts in
journals having published the most suicide papers. All data are from the
ISI electronic venue on the Web of Science and refer to the number of
citations the top 1% of works received in each of ten journals from 1975
through August 10, 2011. Among all ten journals, SLTB ranked first in the
number of works on suicide. The principle theme of half of SLTB suicide
classics was literature review. The median number of citations for SLTB
citation classics (top 1%) was 121.5, with a range between 96 and 279
citations, but classics from generalized psychiatric journals received
more citations as anticipated. Journal impact factors explained 73% of
the variance in classics citation counts across journals. On average,
suicide classics received 30% more citations than all classics. Among a
second group of five specialized suicide journals, however, SLTB ranked
first in average 5-year impact. Although SLTB produced the highest number
of suicide articles of any journal, SLTBs citation classics received
fewer citations than suicide classics in high-impact/prestige, general
journals. Future work is needed to assess what predicts which SLTB
articles ultimately become citation classics.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: S Stack, Wayne State Univ, Dept Psychiat & Criminol,
                Detroit, MI 48202 USA

  View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312071300001

Title:
What are Scientific Leaders? The Introduction of a Normalized *Impact Factor*

Authors:
Matsas, GEA

Author Full Names:
Matsas, George E. A.

Source:
BRAZILIAN JOURNAL OF PHYSICS, 42 (5-6):319-322; 10.1007/s13538-012-0094-x DEC 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Article

Author Keywords:
Statistics, Philosophy of science, Social and economical studies

KeyWords Plus:

Abstract:
We define a normalized impact factor (NIF) suitable for assessing in a simple way both the strength of scientific communities and the research influence of individuals. We define those with NIF a parts per thousand yenaEuro parts per thousand 1 as scientific leaders because they influence their peers at least as much as they are influenced by them. The NIF has two outstanding characteristics: (a) it has a clear and universal meaning and (b) it is robust against self-citation misuse. We show how a single lognormal function obtained from a simplified version of the NIF leads to a clear "radiography" of the corresponding scientific community. An illustrative application analyzes a community derived from the list of outstanding referees recognized by the American Physical Society in 2008.
Reprint Address:
Univ Estadual Paulista, Inst Fis Teor, R Dr Bento Teobaldo Ferraz 271,Bl 2, BR-01140070 Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Addresses:
Univ Estadual Paulista, Inst Fis Teor, BR-01140070 Sao Paulo, Brazil

E-mail Address:
matsas at ift.unesp.br

Funding Acknowledgement:
Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Cientifico e Tecnologico; Fundacao de Amparo a Pesquisa do Estado de Sao Paulo

Funding Text:
I am indebted to D. Gil de Oliveira and F. Montero for the help with data collection. I thank P. Ball, R. Meneghini, J. Montero, V. Pleitez, D. Vanzella, and E. Zanotto for the discussions. Partial financial support was provided by Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Cientifico e Tecnologico and Fundacao de Amparo a Pesquisa do Estado de Sao Paulo.

Cited Reference Count:
9

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
SPRINGER, 233 SPRING ST, NEW YORK, NY 10013 USA

ISSN:
0103-9733

Web of Science Categories:
Physics, Multidisciplinary

Research Areas:
Physics

IDS Number:
050RI

Unique ID:
WOS:000312071300001

Cited References:
Ball P, 2005, NATURE, V436, P900
Aitchinson J., 1957, The Lognormal Distribution,
Zanotto Edgar Dutra, 2006, SCIENTOMETRICS, V69, P175
Hirsch JE, 2005, PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, V102, P16569
PINSKI G, 1976, INFORMATION PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT, V12, P297
Redner S, 2005, PHYSICS TODAY, V58, P49
Schreiber Michael, 2008, NEW JOURNAL OF PHYSICS, V10,
[Anonymous], 2008, Outstanding Referees Program,
Merton R. K., 1973, The Sociology of Science,

*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312131900004

Title:
*Citation* Classics in Suicide and Life Threatening Behavior: A Research Note

Authors:
Stack, S

Author Full Names:
Stack, Steven

Source:
SUICIDE AND LIFE-THREATENING BEHAVIOR, 42 (6):628-639; 10.1111/j.1943-278X.2012.00117.x DEC 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Article

KeyWords Plus:
[...]

[Stack, Steven] Wayne State Univ, Dept Psychiat & Criminol, Detroit, MI 48202 USA
[Stack, Steven] Wayne State Univ, Ctr Suicide Res, Detroit, MI 48202 USA

E-mail Address:
steven_stack at hotmail.com

Cited Reference Count:
37

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
WILEY-BLACKWELL, 111 RIVER ST, HOBOKEN 07030-5774, NJ USA

ISSN:
0363-0234

Web of Science Categories:
Psychiatry; Psychology, Multidisciplinary

Research Areas:
Psychiatry; Psychology

IDS Number:
051MR

Unique ID:
WOS:000312131900004

Cited References:
KEY JD, 1988, ARCHIVES OF PHYSICAL MEDICINE AND REHABILITATION, V69, P1058
West R, 2002, ADDICTION, V97, P501
NORDSTROM P, 1994, SUICIDE AND LIFE-THREATENING BEHAVIOR, V24, P1
[Anonymous], 2008, New Zealand Dental Journal, V104, P35
OCARROLL PW, 1989, SUICIDE AND LIFE-THREATENING BEHAVIOR, V19, P1
Garfield E, 2006, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, V295, P90
Stack S, 2000, SUICIDE AND LIFE-THREATENING BEHAVIOR, V30, P145
Booth David A., 2010, APPETITE, V54, P1
Joseph KS, 2003, BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL, V326, P283
BESKOW J, 1990, SUICIDE AND LIFE-THREATENING BEHAVIOR, V20, P307
BRENT DA, 1995, SUICIDE AND LIFE-THREATENING BEHAVIOR, V25, P52
Gehanno Jean-Francois, 2007, SCANDINAVIAN JOURNAL OF WORK ENVIRONMENT & HEALTH, V33, P245
DANIEL TM, 1990, JOURNAL OF LABORATORY AND CLINICAL MEDICINE, V116, P755
Smith Derek R., 2008, AUSTRALIAN AND NEW ZEALAND JOURNAL OF PUBLIC HEALTH, V32, P105
BECK AT, 1993, SUICIDE AND LIFE-THREATENING BEHAVIOR, V23, P139
Stern RS, 1999, ARCHIVES OF DERMATOLOGY, V135, P948
Nieri Michele, 2007, JOURNAL OF CLINICAL PERIODONTOLOGY, V34, P349
Haslam Nick, 2010, PSYCHOLOGICAL REPORTS, V106, P891
Callaham M, 2002, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION4th International Congress on Peer Review in Biomedical Publication, SEP 14-16, 2001, BARCELONA, SPAIN, V287, P2847
Seiber James N, 2010, Journal of agricultural and food chemistry, V58, P1
SMITH K, 1986, SUICIDE AND LIFE-THREATENING BEHAVIOR, V16, P313
Baltussen A, 2004, INTENSIVE CARE MEDICINE, V30, P902
OCarroll PW, 1996, SUICIDE AND LIFE-THREATENING BEHAVIOR, V26, P237
McClendon M. J., 2004,
Stack S.,
GARFIELD E, 1987, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, V257, P52
MOSCICKI EK, 1995, SUICIDE AND LIFE-THREATENING BEHAVIORAnnual Meeting of the American-Association-of-Suicidology, APR, 1994, NEW YORK, NY, V25, P22
CALDWELL CB, 1992, SUICIDE AND LIFE-THREATENING BEHAVIOR, V22, P479
Cardinal Charles, 2008, SUICIDE AND LIFE-THREATENING BEHAVIOR, V38, P260
Hall GM, 1998, BRITISH JOURNAL OF ANAESTHESIA, V80, P4
Ollerton JE, 2005, JOURNAL OF TRAUMA-INJURY INFECTION AND CRITICAL CARE, V58, P364
Yang Hua, 2006, FERTILITY AND STERILITY, V86, P795
Canetto SS, 1998, SUICIDE AND LIFE-THREATENING BEHAVIOR, V28, P1
Smith Derek R., 2007, New Zealand Medical Journal, V120, P2871
Mehlman Charles T., 2006, JOURNAL OF PEDIATRIC ORTHOPAEDICS, V26, P691
Buela-Casal Gualberto, 2010, PSICOTHEMA, V22, P270
BRENT DA, 1993, SUICIDE AND LIFE-THREATENING BEHAVIOR, V23, P179

*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312120900004
 ]

Title:
>From Classic to Current: A Look Back on Attention Research in The American *Journal* of Psychology

Authors:
Mounts, JRW

Author Full Names:
Mounts, Jeffrey R. W.

Source:
AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, 125 (4):423-434; WIN 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Article

KeyWords Plus:
VISUAL-SEARCH; SELECTIVE ATTENTION; PERCEPTUAL LOAD; DETERMINANT; EFFICIENCY; VISION; ASYMMETRIES; INTENSITY; STIMULUS; LOCUS

Abstract:
This review examines attention research appearing in The American Journal of Psychology over the journal's rich 125-year history. In particular, the review examines studies focused on selective attention's role in modulating the influence of distraction and the methods used to capture the nature of selective attention. Special attention is given to classic articles by Treisman (1964a, 1964b), Neisser (1963), and Eriksen and Rohrbaugh (1970), whose methods and results are examined in detail in light of current theory and research in selective attention.
Reprint Address:
SUNY Coll Geneseo, Dept Psychol, Geneseo, NY 14454 USA.

Addresses:

mounts at geneseo.edu

Cited Reference Count:
53

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
UNIV ILLINOIS PRESS, 1325 S OAK ST, CHAMPAIGN, IL 61820-6903 USA

ISSN:
0002-9556

Web of Science Categories:
Psychology, Multidisciplinary

Research Areas:
Psychology

IDS Number:
051IW

Unique ID:
WOS:000312120900004

Cited References:
DEUTSCH JA, 1963, PSYCHOLOGICAL REVIEW, V70, P80
Yeshurun Yaffa, 2010, JOURNAL OF VISION, V10,
NEISSER U, 1963, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V76, P376
Geissler LR, 1909, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V20, P473
Intriligator J, 2001, COGNITIVE PSYCHOLOGY, V43, P171
Tsal Yehoshua, 2010, JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY-HUMAN PERCEPTION AND PERFORMANCE, V36, P1645
TREISMAN AM, 1964, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V77, P533
Francis Alexander L., 2010, ATTENTION PERCEPTION & PSYCHOPHYSICS, V72, P501
Macdonald James S. P., 2011, ATTENTION PERCEPTION & PSYCHOPHYSICS, V73, P1780
PALMER J, 1994, VISION RESEARCH, V34, P1703
Raffel G, 1937, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V49, P101
Taylor R. W., 1901, American Journal of Psychology, V12, P335
Johnson HM, 1925, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V36, P601
TREISMAN A, 1988, PSYCHOLOGICAL REVIEW, V95, P15
DUNCAN J, 1989, PSYCHOLOGICAL REVIEW, V96, P433
DUNCAN J, 1980, PSYCHOLOGICAL REVIEW, V87, P272
KOHLER W, 1958, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V71, P489
Sperling G., 1986, V1, P1
Verghese P, 2001, NEURON, V31, P523
ERIKSEN BA, 1974, PERCEPTION & PSYCHOPHYSICS, V16, P143
Palmer J, 2000, VISION RESEARCHAnnual Meeting of the Association-for-Research-in-Vision-and-Ophthalmology, MAY 09-14, 1999, FT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA, V40, P1227
LAVIE N, 1994, PERCEPTION & PSYCHOPHYSICS, V56, P183
LAVIE N, 1995, JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY-HUMAN PERCEPTION AND PERFORMANCE, V21, P451
Benoni Hanna, 2010, VISION RESEARCH, V50, P1292
Hamlin A. J., 1896, American Journal of Psychology, V8, P3
Lavie N, 1997, PSYCHOLOGICAL SCIENCE, V8, P395
Broadbent D. E., 1958, Perception and communication,
Meads LG, 1915, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V26, P150
Tsotsos John K., 2008, BRAIN RESEARCH2nd International Symposium on Brain, Vision and Artificial Intelligence, OCT 10-12, 2007, Naples, ITALY, V1225, P119
AVERBACH E, 1961, BELL SYSTEM TECHNICAL JOURNAL, V40, P309
TREISMAN AM, 1964, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V77, P206
Wolfe JM, 2001, PERCEPTION & PSYCHOPHYSICS, V63, P381
Titchener EB, 1905, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V16, P208
Yiend Jenny, 2010, COGNITION & EMOTION, V24, P3
SPIETH W, 1954, JOURNAL OF THE ACOUSTICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA, V26, P391
Drew F., 1896, American Journal of Psychology, V7, P533
TREISMAN A, 1985, JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY-GENERAL, V114, P285
MILLER GA, 1950, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V63, P176
Wolfe JM, 1998, PSYCHOLOGICAL SCIENCE, V9, P33
Dallenbach KM, 1913, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V24, P465
CHERRY EC, 1953, JOURNAL OF THE ACOUSTICAL SOCIETY OF AMERICA, V25, P975
Taya Shuichiro, 2009, JOURNAL OF VISION, V9,
Jenkins JG, 1933, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V45, P173
Pelli DG, 2004, JOURNAL OF VISION, V4, P1136
Bills AG, 1931, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V43, P230
SPERLING G, 1978, SCIENCE, V202, P315
GATTI SV, 1978, BULLETIN OF THE PSYCHONOMIC SOCIETY, V11, P181
Burnham WH, 1908, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V19, P14
Lavie N, 2005, TRENDS IN COGNITIVE SCIENCES, V9, P75
ERIKSEN CW, 1970, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V83, P330
Dallenbach KM, 1923, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V34, P282
Burnham W. H., 1889, American Journal of Psychology, V2, P568
Lavie Nilli, 2006, Brain research, V1080, P91

*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312120900005

Title:
The Vital Role of The American *Journal* of Psychology in the Early and Continuing History of Mental Chronometry

Authors:
O'Shea, G; Bashore, TR

Author Full Names:
O'Shea, Geoffrey; Bashore, Theodore R., Jr.

Source:
AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, 125 (4):435-448; WIN 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Article

KeyWords Plus:
REACTION-TIME; VISUAL-SEARCH; WORD RECOGNITION; DECISION-TIME; AUTOMATICITY; COMPATIBILITY; ATTENTION; STIMULUS; SPEED; TRANSMISSION

Abstract:
The American Journal of Psychology (AJP) was founded in 1887 by G. Stanley Hall during what Edwin G. Boring (1950) called the Period of Mental Chronometry and, consistent with the prevailing interests of the time, featured articles of relevance to scientists in this research domain. Contained in the early volumes of AJP were several articles that examined what have become some of the enduring issues faced by researchers studying the structure and timing of mental processing using reaction time (RT) procedures. Collectively, RT research published in AJP during its early years contributed to establishing mental chronometry as an important subfield of psychology. From 1900 to 1950 interest in mental chronometry waned, during what has been called its Dark Age. Nonetheless, interest in the effects of factors such as age and intelligence on total RI continued unabated. Numerous articles pertinent to these effects appeared in AJP. Finally, with the publication of Neisser's (1963) s!
 eminal work on visual search, AJP played an important role in reviving interest in mental chronometry in the latter half of the 20th century and continues in its 125th year of existence to contribute pertinent articles on contemporary research in mental chronometry.
Reprint Address:
SUNY Coll Oneonta, Dept Psychol, Oneonta, NY 13820 USA.

Addresses:
[O'Shea, Geoffrey] SUNY Coll Oneonta, Dept Psychol, Oneonta, NY 13820 USA
[Bashore, Theodore R., Jr.] Univ No Colorado, Greeley, CO 80639 USA

E-mail Address:
osheag at oneonta.edu

Cited Reference Count:
111

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
UNIV ILLINOIS PRESS, 1325 S OAK ST, CHAMPAIGN, IL 61820-6903 USA

ISSN:
0002-9556

Web of Science Categories:
Psychology, Multidisciplinary

Research Areas:
Psychology

IDS Number:
051IW

Unique ID:
WOS:000312120900005

Cited References:
Yamaguchi Motonori, 2010, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V123, P81
Jastrow J., 1891, American Journal of Psychology, V4, P198
Bourne LE, 2005, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V118, P385
Exner S., 1873, Archiv fur die Gesammte Physiologie des Menschen und der Thiere, V7, P601
Tanner W. P., 1953, Technical report no. 18,
Titchener E. B., 1896, Mind, V5, P236
Sanford E. C., 1890, American Journal of Psychology, V3, P174
Nicolas S, 1997, PSYCHOLOGICAL RESEARCH-PSYCHOLOGISCHE FORSCHUNG, V59, P261
Sanford E. C., 1893, American Journal of Psychology, V5, P351
Tagliabue Mariaelena, 2009, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V122, P431
Cattell J. M., 1892, American Journal of Psychology, V4, P596
Canales J, 2001, BRITISH JOURNAL FOR THE HISTORY OF SCIENCE, V34, P173
Sanford E. C., 1901, American Journal of Psychology, V12, P590
Miles WR, 1931, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V43, P377
HOPTMAN MJ, 1994, PSYCHOLOGICAL BULLETIN, V116, P195
Jersild A. T., 1927, Archives of Psychology, V14, P5
BARGH JA, 1992, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V105, P181
Poffenberger A. T., 1912, Archives of Psychology, V23, P1
Boring E. G., 1950, A history of experimental psychology,
Kulpe O., 1973, Outlines of psychology,
Hall G. S., 1904, Adolescence: Its psychology and its relations to physiology, anthropology, sociology, sex, crime, religion, and education, V1, P129
Hilgard E. R., 1987, Psychology in America: A historical survey,
MEYER DE, 1988, BIOLOGICAL PSYCHOLOGY, V26, P3
Silverman Irwin W., 2010, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V123, P39
FITTS PM, 1954, JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY, V48, P483
Wundt W., 1969, Principles of physiological psychology,
Lange L., 1888, Philosophische Studien, V4, P479
Stroop JR, 1935, JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY, V18, P643
Sanford E. C., 1889, American Journal of Psychology, V2, P403
Thorndike E. L., 1943, Psychological Review, V50, P87
WEAVER W, 1949, Scientific American, V181, P11
Hommel B, 2001, BEHAVIORAL AND BRAIN SCIENCES, V24, P849
Hick W. E., 1952, QUARTERLY JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY, V4, P11
TREISMAN A, 1992, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V105, P341
James W., 1981, Principles of psychology, V1,
POSNER MI, 1992, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V105, P1
Sternberg S, 1969, ACTA PSYCHOLOGICA, V30, P276
Angell F, 1911, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V22, P86
Wiener N., 1948, Cybernetics, or control and communication in the man and the machine,
LOGAN GD, 1978, JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY-GENERAL, V107, P32
Braun CMJ, 1997, BRAIN AND COGNITION, V34, P337
NEISSER U, 1965, BRITISH JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V56, P349
Peirce C. S., 1884, Memoirs of the National Academy of Science, V3, P73
Warren J. W., 1888, American Journal of Psychology, V1, P710
Swift E. J., 1892, American Journal of Psychology, V5, P1
Braun CMJ, 1995, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V108, P527
HYMAN R, 1953, JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY, V45, P188
HOFFMAN RR, 1992, APPLIED COGNITIVE PSYCHOLOGY, V6, P1
Titchener E. B., 1910, A text-book of psychology,
Hall G. S., 1921, American Journal of Psychology, V32, P1
Watson JB, 1913, PSYCHOLOGICAL REVIEW, V20, P158
Behrens P.J., 1984, Psychological Research, V42, P19
Hornof AJ, 2004, HUMAN-COMPUTER INTERACTION, V19, P183
Braun Claude M. J., 2011, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V124, P163
Noyes W., 1890, American Journal of Psychology, V3, P367
Woodrow H, 1916, JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY, V1, P285
Hall G. S., 1887, American Journal of Psychology, V1, P72
CARR TH, 1992, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V105, P201
Flykt A, 2006, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V119, P29
Shannon C. E., 1938, Transactions of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers, V57, P1
Muesseler Jochen, 2009, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V122, P325
Proctor Robert W., 2010, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V123, P425
Bringmann W. G., 1980, Wundt studies: A centennial collection, P123
Wundt W., 1874, Grundzuge der physiologischen PsythologiePrinciples of physiological psychology,
Franz SI, 1906, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V17, P38
Boring E. G., 1929, A histoiy of experimental psychology,
COHEN JD, 1992, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V105, P239
Hall G. S., 1879, Archiv fur Anatomic und Physiologic Physiologische Abteilung, P1
GRISWOLD BJ, 1962, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V75, P35
Simon J. R., 1990, Stimulus-response compatibility, P31
CZERWINSKI M, 1992, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V105, P271
Schmidgen Henning, 2005, History of psychology, V8, P46
LOGAN GD, 1992, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V105, P317
Telford CW, 1931, JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY, V14, P1
SHANNON CE, 1948, BELL SYSTEM TECHNICAL JOURNAL, V27, P379
BASHORE TR, 1981, PSYCHOLOGICAL BULLETIN, V89, P352
Wundt W., 1907, Lectures on human and animal psychology,
Lemon V. W., 1928, Archives of Psychology, V94, P38
Sanford E. C., 1889, American Journal of Psychology, V2, P271
Leite Fabio P., 2009, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V122, P517
LOTSOF EJ, 1958, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V71, P416
Baldwin J. M., 1895, Psychological Review, V2, P259
Watanabe R., 1894, American Journal of Psychology, V6, P408
Angell J. R., 1892, American Journal of Psychology, V4, P528
Woodworth R. S., 1938, Experimental psychology,
DONDERS FC, 1969, ACTA PSYCHOLOGICA, V30, P412
Marzi CA, 1999, BRAIN RESEARCH BULLETIN, V50, P421
Breitweiser J. V., 1911, Archives of Psychology, V19, P1
Angell JR, 1907, PSYCHOLOGICAL REVIEW, V14, P61
Lleras A, 2004, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V117, P531
Robinson D. K., 2001, Wilhelm Wundt in history: The making of a scientific psychology, P161
VANDUSEN LM, 1992, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V105, P59
Baldwin J., 1896, Mind, V5, P81
Whipple GM, 1904, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V15, P489
Rigon Jessica, 2011, The American journal of psychology, V124, P395
Proctor R. W., 2006, Stimulus-response compatibility principles: Data, theory and application,
Elliott M, 1922, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V33, P97
Angell F, 1919, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V30, P224
NEISSER U, 1963, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V76, P376
Loverock David S., 2007, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V120, P565
Jastrow J., 1890, The time-relations of mental phenomena,
Philip BR, 1934, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V46, P379
Sanford E. C., 1888, American Journal of Psychology, V2, P3
Hill A. R., 1894, American Journal of Psychology, V6, P242
James W., 1981, Principles of psychology, V2,
Mounts J. R. W., American Journal of Psychology,
DUNCAN J, 1992, JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY-HUMAN PERCEPTION AND PERFORMANCE, V18, P578
Cattell J. M., 1886, Mind, V11, P63
Freeman GL, 1933, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGY, V45, P17
Hall G. S., 1892, Mind, V8, P170
Pillsbury W. B., 1897, American Journal of Psychology, V9, P56

*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312107200006

Title:
Moving from impact to influence: measurement and the changing role of medical *journals*

Authors:
Nallamothu, BK; Luscher, TF

Author Full Names:
Nallamothu, Brahmajee K.; Luescher, Thomas F.

Source:
EUROPEAN HEART JOURNAL, 33 (23):2892-2896; 10.1093/eurheartj/ehs308 DEC 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Editorial Material

KeyWords Plus:
VERSION 2009; GUIDELINES; DIAGNOSIS; MANAGEMENT
Reprint Address:
Univ Zurich Hosp, Dept Cardiol, Ramistr 100, CH-8091 Zurich, Switzerland.

Addresses:
[Nallamothu, Brahmajee K.; Luescher, Thomas F.] European Heart Journal, Editorial Off, Zurich, Switzerland

E-mail Address:
cardiotfl at gmx.ch

Cited Reference Count:
22

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
OXFORD UNIV PRESS, GREAT CLARENDON ST, OXFORD OX2 6DP, ENGLAND

ISSN:
0195-668X

Web of Science Categories:
Cardiac & Cardiovascular Systems

Research Areas:
Cardiovascular System & Cardiology

IDS Number:
051EE

Unique ID:
WOS:000312107200006

Cited References:
Luescher Thomas F., 2010, EUROPEAN HEART JOURNAL, V31, P1945
Moya Angel, 2009, EUROPEAN HEART JOURNAL, V30, P2631
Fang Ferric C., 2011, INFECTION AND IMMUNITY, V79, P3855
Falagas Matthew E., 2008, FASEB JOURNAL, V22, P2623
Smith R, 2006, The Trouble with Medical Journals,
Zimmer C, 2012, The New York Times,
Habib Gilbert, 2009, EUROPEAN HEART JOURNAL, V30, P2369
Luescher Thomas F., 2012, EUROPEAN HEART JOURNAL, V33, P1161
Priem J, 2012, arXiv:1203.4745,
Neylon Cameron, 2009, PLOS BIOLOGY, V7,
Fersht Alan, 2009, PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, V106, P6883
Garfield E, 2006, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION, V295, P90
Agrawal AA, 2005, TRENDS IN ECOLOGY & EVOLUTION, V20, P157
Smith Richard, 2006, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF EPIDEMIOLOGY, V35, P1129
Lindner Jonathan R., 2012, CIRCULATION, V125, P3057
Poldermans Don, 2009, EUROPEAN HEART JOURNAL, V30, P2769
Rizkallah Jacques, 2010, PLOS ONE, V5,
Galie Nazzareno, 2009, EUROPEAN HEART JOURNAL, V30, P2493
Podolsky Scott H., 2012, NEW ENGLAND JOURNAL OF MEDICINE, V366, P1457
Fassoulaki A, 2000, BRITISH JOURNAL OF ANAESTHESIA, V84, P266
Yarkoni T, 2011, Designing next-generation platforms for evaluating scientific output: what scientists can learn from the social web,
Steen R. Grant, 2011, JOURNAL OF MEDICAL ETHICS, V37, P249

*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000311981600019

Title:
*Citation* Classic: Introducing Tissue Microarrays to Molecular Pathology

Authors:
Kallioniemi, OP; Kononen, J; Sauter, G

Author Full Names:
Kallioniemi, Ollie P.; Kononen, Juha; Sauter, Guido

Source:
CLINICAL CHEMISTRY, 58 (12):1717-1718; 10.1373/clinchem.2012.188748 DEC 2012

Language:
English

Document Type:
Editorial Material

KeyWords Plus:
GENE AMPLIFICATION; CANCER
Reprint Address:
Univ Helsinki, Inst Mol Med Finland FIMM, Tukholmankatu 8, Helsinki 00140, Finland.

Addresses:
[Kallioniemi, Ollie P.] Univ Helsinki, Inst Mol Med Finland FIMM, Helsinki 00140, Finland
[Kononen, Juha] Cent Finland Hlth Care Dist Cent Hosp, Dept Oncol, Jyvaskyla, Finland
[Sauter, Guido] Univ Klinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany

E-mail Address:
olli.kallioniemi at helsinki.fi

Cited Reference Count:
6

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
AMER ASSOC CLINICAL CHEMISTRY, 2101 L STREET NW, SUITE 202, WASHINGTON, DC 20037-1526 USA

ISSN:
0009-9147

Web of Science Categories:
Medical Laboratory Technology

Research Areas:
Medical Laboratory Technology

IDS Number:
049KJ

Unique ID:
WOS:000311981600019

Cited References:
Seol Hyesil, 2012, MODERN PATHOLOGY, V25, P938
Uhlen Mathias, 2010, NATURE BIOTECHNOLOGY, V28, P1248
BATTIFORA H, 1990, LABORATORY INVESTIGATION, V63, P722
Kallioniemi OP, 2001, HUMAN MOLECULAR GENETICS, V10, P657
Kononen J, 1998, NATURE MEDICINE, V4, P844
Schraml P, 1999, CLINICAL CANCER RESEARCH, V5, P1966

*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000311976800003

Title:
NUTRITION SCIENCES IN SPAIN IN THE SECOND HALF OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY; A DESCRIPTIVE *BIBLIOMETRIC* STUDY OF THE *JOURNAL* ANALES DE BROMATOLOGIA (1949-1993)

Authors:
Bentabeu-Mestre, J; Alberola, MTU; Pellicer, JXE; Trescastro-Lopez, EM;
Galiana-Sanchez, ME; Botia, IC

Author Full Names:
Bentabeu-Mestre, J.; Urena Alberola, Ma T.; Pellicer, J. X. Esplugues;
Trescastro-Lopez, E. Ma; Galiana-Sanchez, Ma E.; Castello Botia, I.

Source:
NUTRICION HOSPITALARIA, 27 18-25; 2 10.3305/nh.2012.27.sup2.6269 NOV 2012

Language:
Spanish

Document Type:
Article

Author Keywords:
Nutrition Sciences, School of Bromatology, Spanish Society of Bromatology, Journal Anales de Bromatologia, Bibliometry, Bibliometric indicators

Abstract:
Objective: To analyse the institutionalisation of nutrition sciences in Spain in the second half of the twentieth century, and evaluate the activities of the journal Anales de Bromatologia.
Method: Descriptive bibliometric study of the original articles. Full names of the authors and the complete article title were recorded. Using key words, each article was assigned by consensus of the researchers to a single main subject in accordance with the thirteen subject areas addressed by the Spanish Society of Bromatology in its meetings. An analysis was conducted of the distribution and trends of general productivity indicators and their characteristics.
Results: A total of 917 original articles were published, with a mean of 20.8 papers/year. The subjects for which the highest percentage of articles was recorded were foreign substances in foods, foods of plant origin and nutrition. A total of 874 authors contributed, with a collaboration rate of 2.43 and a transience rate of 70.1%. Distribution of the number of authors per article was close to that indicated by Lotka's law of scientific productivity. The top twelve producers, predominantly women, participated in 49.9% of the articles published.
Conclusion: The journal showed low productivity and was of an endogamous nature, with a predominance of authors related to the School of Bromatology in the Faculty of Pharmacy, at the Complutense University. The subjects addressed reflected the demands of the nutrition transition in Spain. Ntar Hosp 2012; 27 (Supl. 2):18-25 DOI:10.3305/nh.2012.27.sup2.6269
Reprint Address:
Dept Enfermeria Comunitaria Med Prevent & Salud P, Campus St Vicent Raspeig, Alicante 03080, Spain.

Addresses:
[Bentabeu-Mestre, J.; Pellicer, J. X. Esplugues; Trescastro-Lopez, E. Ma; Galiana-Sanchez, Ma E.; Castello Botia, I.] Univ Alicante, Grp Balmis Invest Salud Comunitaria & Hist Cienci, E-03080 Alicante, Spain
[Urena Alberola, Ma T.] Univ Alicante, Hosp Clin St Joan dAlacant, Conselleria Sanitat & Consum, E-03080 Alicante, Spain
[Urena Alberola, Ma T.] Univ Alicante, Ctr Especialidade, Programa Doctorado Salud Publ, E-03080 Alicante, Spain

E-mail Address:
josep.bernabeu at ua.es

Cited Reference Count:
28

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
AULA MEDICA EDICIONES, C/ISABEL COLBRAND, 10-12 NAVE 78 S PLANTA CIUDAD INDUSTRIAL VENECIA-EDIFICIO ALFA, MADRID, 28050, SPAIN

ISSN:
0212-1611

Web of Science Categories:
Nutrition & Dietetics

Research Areas:
Nutrition & Dietetics

IDS Number:
049IT

Unique ID:
WOS:000311976800003

Cited References:
Bernabeu-Mestre J, 2011, Nutricion, Salud y Sociedad. Espana y Europa en los siglos XIX y XX, P185
Trescastro-Lopez EM, 2011, Rev Esp Nutr Comunitaria, V17, P206
Hernandez Cuenca JS, 2010, Actividad Dietetica, V14, P32
Cusso X, 2009, Economia alimentaria en Espafia durante el siglo XX, P65
Vidal D, 2000, Arbor, V46, P127
Langreo A, 2007, Alimentos y alimentacion en la Espana del siglo XX, P41
Castera V. T., 2008, NUTRICION HOSPITALARIA, V23, P469
Lopez R, 1955, La bromatologia en Espana: primera leccion pronunciada con motivo de la inauguraci6n de la Escuela de Bromatologia,
Orden Ministerial de 10 de septiembre de, 1954,
Lopez R, 1978, Tratado de bromatologia,
Orden Ministerial de 13 de diciembre de, 1957,
Pol R, 2011, La Farmacia. Ayer y Hoy. Reflexiones entorno al medicamento y sus profesionales, P39
[Anonymous], 1949, Anales de Bromatologia, V1, P12
Majem L, 2007, Alimentos y alimentacion en la Espana del siglo XX, P177
Villanua Marti MP, 1990, Evolucion historica de la Bromatologia en la Facultad de Farmacia de la Universidad Complutense de Madrid,
[Anonymous], 1967, XII Aniversario de su creacion (1954-1966),
Bernabeu-Mestre J, 2011, Nutricion, Salud y Sociedad. Espana y Europa en los siglos XIX y XX, P209
Moreno LA, 2002, EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NUTRITION, V56, P992
Trescastro Lopez E. M., 2012, NUTRICION HOSPITALARIA, V27, P955
Hidalgo P, 1983, Rev San Hig Pub, V57, P969
Bernabeu-Mestre Josep, 2007, REVISTA ESPANOLA DE SALUD PUBLICA, V81, P451
Estrada Lorenzo JM, 2003, Rev Esp Salud Publica, V77, P333
[Anonymous], 1956, I Seccien Cientifica. Resumenes de los trabajos, memorias y notas,
Cusso X, 2005, Historia Agrari, P329
Andres C, 2002, Rev Esp Salud Publica, V76, P659
[Anonymous], 1949, Anales de Bromatologia, V1, P7
Vazquez E, 2001, Nutr Hosp, V16, P268
Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas (CSIC), 2011, Base de datos Bibliograficas del CSIC,

*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000311976800006

Title:
*BIBLIOMETRIC* AND THEMATIC ANALYSIS OF THE SCIENTIFIC LITERATURE ABOUT OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS INDEXED IN INTERNATIONAL DATABASES ON HEALTH SCIENCES

Authors:
Sanz-Valero, J; Gil, A; Wanden-Berghe, C; de Victoria, EM

Author Full Names:
Sanz-Valero, J.; Gil, A.; Wanden-Berghe, C.; Martinez de Victoria, E.

Group Author(s):
Grp Comunicacion Documentacion Cie

Source:
NUTRICION HOSPITALARIA, 27 41-48; 2 10.3305/nh.2012.27.sup2.6272 NOV 2012

Language:
Spanish

Document Type:
Article

Author Keywords:
Fatty acids omega-3, Access to information, Bibliometrics, Bibliometric indicators, Medical subject headings

KeyWords Plus:
CITATION; MEDLINE

Abstract:
Objective: To evaluate by bibliometric and thematic analysis the scientific literature on omega-3 fatty acids indexed in international databases on health sciences and to establish a comparative base for future analysis.
Method: Searches were conducted with the descriptor (MeSH, as Major Topic) "Fatty Acids, Omega-3" from the first date available until December 31, 2010. Databases consulted: MEDLINE (via PubMed), EMBASE, IS! Web of Knowledge, CINAHL and LILACS.
Results: The most common type of document was originals articles. Obsolescence was set at 5 years. The geographical distribution of authors who appear as first author was EEUU and the articles were written predominantly in English. The study population was 90.98% (95% CI 89.25 to 92.71) adult humans. The documents were classified into 59 subject areas and the most studied topic 16.24% (95% CI 14.4 to 18.04) associated with omega-3, was cardiovascular disease.
Conclusion: This study indicates that the scientific literature on omega-3 fatty acids is a full force area of knowledge. The Anglo-Saxon institutions dominate the scientific production and it is mainly oriented to the study of cardiovascular disease. Nutr Hosp 2012; 27 (Supl. 2):41-48 DOI:10.3305/nh.2012.27.sup2.6272
Reprint Address:
Univ Miguel Hernandez, Dept Salud Publ Hist Ciencia & Ginecol, Campus St Joan dAlacant, Alicante, Spain.

Addresses:
[Sanz-Valero, J.] Univ Miguel Hernandez, Elche, Spain
[Sanz-Valero, J.] Univ Alicante, E-03080 Alicante, Spain
[Gil, A.; Martinez de Victoria, E.] Univ Granada, Inst Nutr & Tecnol Alimentos INYTA, E-18071 Granada, Spain
[Wanden-Berghe, C.] Univ CEU Cardenal Herrera, Elche, Spain
[Wanden-Berghe, C.] Hosp Gen Univ Alicante, Alicante, Spain

E-mail Address:
jsanz at umh.es

Cited Reference Count:
30

Times Cited:
1

Publisher:
AULA MEDICA EDICIONES, C/ISABEL COLBRAND, 10-12 NAVE 78 S PLANTA CIUDAD INDUSTRIAL VENECIA-EDIFICIO ALFA, MADRID, 28050, SPAIN

ISSN:
0212-1611

Web of Science Categories:
Nutrition & Dietetics

Research Areas:
Nutrition & Dietetics

IDS Number:
049IT

Unique ID:
WOS:000311976800006

Cited References:
Castiel Luis David, 2009, SALUD COLECTIVA, V5, P5
Gonzdlez de Dios J, 2001, An Esp Pediatr, V54, P605
Orive JIDG, 2005, ARCHIVOS DE BRONCONEUMOLOGIA, V41, P78
U. S. National Library of Medicine [homepage], 2003,
Callaham M, 2002, JAMA-JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION4th International Congress on Peer Review in Biomedical Publication, SEP 14-16, 2001, BARCELONA, SPAIN, V287, P2847
Chapman-Novakofski Karen, 2011, JOURNAL OF NUTRITION EDUCATION AND BEHAVIOR, V43, P75
Theander Sten S., 2010, SCHIZOPHRENIA RESEARCH, V118, P279
Sanz-Valero J, 2008, Med Segur Trab, V54, P636
Hart Richard L., 2007, JOURNAL OF ACADEMIC LIBRARIANSHIP, V33, P190
Tomds-Castera V, 2010, Rev Nutr Campinas, V23, P791
Guardiola-Wanden-Berghe R, 2010, Trastor Conducta Aliment, P1296
Minifio AM, 2007, Mortality from Major Cardiovascular Diseases: United States,
Castera V. T., 2008, NUTRICION HOSPITALARIA, V23, P541
Allen Liz, 2009, PLOS ONE, V4,
Caramia G, 2008, Minerva pediatrica, V60, P219
World Health Organization, 2004, International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems,
Tomds-Castera V, 2009, Nutr Hosp, V24, P239
Barrios Maite, 2008, SCIENTOMETRICS, V77, P453
Donato Helena, 2009, ACTA MEDICA PORTUGUESA, V22, P41
Tomds-Castera V, 2009, An Venez Nutr, V22, P90
Jenuwine ES, 2004, JOURNAL OF THE MEDICAL LIBRARY ASSOCIATION, V92, P349
NATH R, 1991, INFORMATION PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT, V27, P203
Burr GO, 1930, JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY, V86, P0587
Phelan TJ, 1999, SCIENTOMETRICS, V45, P117
Archambault Eric, 2006, SCIENTOMETRICS10th International Conference on Scientometrics and Informetrics, JUL, 2005, Stockholm, SWEDEN, V68, P329
Agudelo D, 2003, PSICOTHEMA, V15, P507
Arnett Jeffrey J., 2008, AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGIST, V63, P602
Lemu R, 2005, Bioscience, V55, P438
Valera Garrido JF, 2001, Mapfre Medicina, V12, P157
Burr GO, 1929, JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY, V82, P345

*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000311976800001

Title:
NUTRITIONAL SCIENCES' JOURNALS IN IBERO LATIN AMERICAN COUNTRIES IN THE XXIst CENTURY

Authors:
Culebras, JM

Author Full Names:
Culebras, J. M.

Source:
NUTRICION HOSPITALARIA, 27 1-9; 2 10.3305/nh.2012.27.sup2.6267 NOV 2012

Language:
Spanish

Document Type:
Article

Author Keywords:
Scientific journals, Indexation, Bibliographic databases, Impact factor

Abstract:
The presence of nutrition as an independent matter in the educational programs of the Spanish Faculties of Medicine has been scanty until the end of the XXth century. We have witnessed an important development of the specific opportunities for the nutritional sciences in terms of quality and quantity in the XXIst century.
Only one ibero latin American journal,Archivos Latinoamericanos de Nutricion (ALAN, ISSN 0004-0622), was present in the Journal Citation Reports, Science Edition among the 51 journals under the heading of Nutrition & Dietetics. Three more ibero latin American journals have been incorporated to JCR in the XXIst century, Nutricion Hospitalaria (Nutr Hosp, ISSN 0212-1611) in 2006, Revista de Nutricao (Rev Nutr, ISSN 1415-5273) and Revista Espanola de Nutricion Comunitaria (Rev Esp Nutr Comunit, ISSN 1135-3074) in 2007. The four journals are having a growing importance in other electronic platforms, rendering an important service to the scientific society, not only in their environment, but also in the rest of the world. Although English language dominates scientific communications, the critical mass of already existing journals in Spanish and the area of influence of this language is a good stimulus for continuing its utilization. Nutr Hosp 2012; 27 (Supl. 2):1-9 DOI:10.3305/nh!
 .2012.27.sup2.6267
Reprint Address:
Univ Leon, Complejo Asistencial Univ Leon IBIOMED, Jefe Serv Cirugia 2, E-24071 Leon, Spain.

Addresses:

jesus at culebras.eu

Cited Reference Count:
9

Times Cited:
0

Publisher:
AULA MEDICA EDICIONES, C/ISABEL COLBRAND, 10-12 NAVE 78 S PLANTA CIUDAD INDUSTRIAL VENECIA-EDIFICIO ALFA, MADRID, 28050, SPAIN

ISSN:
0212-1611

Web of Science Categories:
Nutrition & Dietetics

Research Areas:
Nutrition & Dietetics

IDS Number:
049IT

Unique ID:
WOS:000311976800001

Cited References:
WEINSIER RL, 1989, AMERICAN JOURNAL OF CLINICAL NUTRITION, V50, P707
Tomas-Castera V, 2010, An Venez Nutr, V23, P80
CHAMBERLAIN VM, 1989, ACADEMIC MEDICINE, V64, P95
Hirsch JE, 2005, PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, V102, P16569
Salas-Salvado J, 1999, Nutr Clin, V373, P24
Flores S, 2000, Nutricion hospitalaria : organo oficial de la Sociedad Espanola de Nutricion Parenteral y Enteral, V15, P45
Moreno Villares J M, 1998, Medicina clinica, V110, P639
Sanchez L, 2003, Nutricion hospitalaria : organo oficial de la Sociedad Espanola de Nutricion Parenteral y Enteral, V18, P153
Culebras J. M., 2011, NUTRICION HOSPITALARIA, V26, P929

*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000311939400033

Title:
The workings of the maximum entropy principle in collective human behaviour

Authors:
Hernando, A; Hernando, R; Plastino, A; Plastino, AR

Author Full Names:
Hernando, A.; Hernando, R.; Plastino, A.; Plastino, A. R.

Source:
JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY INTERFACE, 10 (78):10.1098/rsif.2012.0758 JAN 6 2013

Language:
English

Abstract:
We present an exhaustive study of the rank-distribution of city-population and population-dynamics of the 50 Spanish provinces (more than 8000 municipalities) in a time-window of 15 years (1996-2010). We exhibit compelling evidence regarding how well the MaxEnt principle describes the equilibrium distributions. We show that the microscopic dynamics that governs population growth is the deciding factor that originates the observed macroscopic distributions. The connection between microscopic dynamics and macroscopic distributions is unravelled via MaxEnt.

ISSN:
1742-5689

Article Number:
20120758

IDS Number:
048UT

Unique ID:
WOS:000311939400033

*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000312039400002

Title:
US city size distribution: Robustly Pareto, but only in the tail

Authors:
Ioannides, Y; Skouras, S

Author Full Names:
Ioannides, Yannis; Skouras, Spyros

Source:
JOURNAL OF URBAN ECONOMICS, 73 (1):18-29; 10.1016/j.jue.2012.06.005 JAN 2013

Language:
English

Abstract:
We establish empirically using three different definitions of US cities that the upper tail obeys a Pareto law and not a lognormal distribution. We emphasize estimation of a switching point between the body of the city size distribution (which includes most cities) and its upper tail (which includes most of the population). For the 2000 Census Places data, in particular, our preferred model suggests that switching from a lognormal to a Pareto law occurs within a narrow confidence interval around population 60,290, with a corresponding Pareto exponent of 1.25. Most cities obey a lognormal; but the upper tail and therefore most of the population obeys a Pareto law. We obtain qualitatively similar results for the upper tail with the Area Clusters data of Rozenfeld et al. (2011), and the US Census combined Metropolitan and Micropolitan Areas data, though the shape of that distribution at smaller sizes is sensitive to the definition used. (C) 2012 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserve!
 d.

ISSN:
0094-1190

IDS Number:
050FU

Unique ID:
WOS:000312039400002

View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000311929000003

Title:
Thermodynamics of urban population flows

Authors:
Hernando, A; Plastino, A

Author Full Names:
Hernando, A.; Plastino, A.

Source:
PHYSICAL REVIEW E, 86 (6):10.1103/PhysRevE.86.066105 Part 2 DEC 5 2012

Language:
English

Abstract:
Orderliness, reflected via mathematical laws, is encountered in different frameworks involving social groups. Here we show that a thermodynamics can be constructed that macroscopically describes urban population flows. Microscopic dynamic equations and simulations with random walkers underlie the macroscopic approach. Our results might be regarded, via suitable analogies, as a step towards building an explicit social thermodynamics. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevE.86.066105

ISSN:
1539-3755

Article Number:
066105

IDS Number:
048RA

Unique ID:
WOS:000311929000003

*View Full Record: http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/gateway/Gateway.cgi?GWVersion=2&SrcAuth=Alerting&SrcApp=Alerting&DestApp=WOS&DestLinkType=FullRecord;UT=WOS:000311976800004

Title:
25 YEARS IN NUTRITION AND FOOD RESEARCH IN THE IBEROAMERICAN KNOWLEDGE AREA

Authors:
Wanden-Berghe, C; Martin-Rodero, H

Author Full Names:
Wanden-Berghe, C.; Martin-Rodero, H.

Source:
NUTRICION HOSPITALARIA, 27 26-33; 2 10.3305/nh.2012.27.sup2.6270 NOV 2012

Language:
Spanish

Abstract:
Introduction: Research is usually considered a reliable indicator of the degree of development. Research in a problematic area such as food and nutrition for a given region, should have an impact on scientific production in agreement with the importance of the problem, the research capacity and the available resources for generating such a research.
Objective: To identify some indicators of Iberoamerican research in nutrition and food.
Method: Retrospective study of Iberoamerican scientific production in nutrition and food in the last 25 years. The data were obtained from the *bibliographic* database Science Citation Index Expanded, Journal Citation Reports Science Edition Database 2011, both included in the Web of Knowledge (Thomson Reuters), and the database of the World Bank.
Results: 49,808 papers were registered, the 3.20% of the Health Sciences collection in SCI. The evolution was fitted to an exponential model, N&D (R-2 0.962) and FS&T (R-2 0.995). The average production in N&D per average population was higher in Spain with 0.659 papers/million. The highest rates of productivity and profitability were found in Guatemala with 12.963 papers/1000 researchers and 1.486 papers/million $ respectively. The average production in FS&T of the different countries per average population was higher in Cuba with 21.624 papers/million. The productivity index was higher in Uruguay with 25.999 papers/thousand researchers. The profitability index was higher in Guatemala with 0.271 papers/million $.
Conclusion: There is exponential growth in the two categories studied N&D and FS&T. Productivity and profitability was higher in countries with low R&D (Research & Development) budget. Nutr Hosp 2012; 27 (Supl. 2):26-33 DOI:10.3305/nh.2012.27.sup2.6270

ISSN:
0212-1611

IDS Number:
049IT

Unique ID:
WOS:000311976800004

TITLE:          Impact factors criticized as worsening guide to quality
                (News Item, English)
AUTHOR:         Cartlidge, E
SOURCE:         PHYSICS WORLD 25 (12). DEC 2012. p.10 IOP PUBLISHING
                LTD, BRISTOL
TITLE:          Bibliometric Analysis of the Polish Journal of
                Environmental Studies (2000-11) (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Chuang, KY; Olaiya, MT; Ho, YS
SOURCE:         POLISH JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES 21 (5). 2012.
                p.1175-1183 HARD, OLSZTYN 5

SEARCH TERM(S):  cited author Garfield E
                   KEYWORDS:       bibliometric; citation; impact factor; SCI-expanded;
                citations per publications; journal
KEYWORDS+:       UNIVERSITY-RESEARCH PERFORMANCE; RESEARCH TRENDS; IMPACT
                FACTOR; HEAVY-METALS; CITATION; PUBLICATION; POLAND;
                INTERNATIONALIZATION; ROENTGENOLOGY; SEDIMENTS

ABSTRACT:       A bibliometric approach was employed to identify the
characteristics of Polish Journal of Environmental Studies during 2000-
11. It is a young journal, and bibliometric analyses can provide insights
into its citation and performance pattern. Findings can be used to devise
approaches to improve performance for young journals in general. Our
analysis includeds the publication's output, distribution of authors'
keywords, and performances of countries, institutions, and authors.
Bibliometric indicators such as total, single, collaborative, first
author, and corresponding author publications were applied. The top-cited
publications each year and publications of the highest impact also are
reported. Results show that "heavy metals" were the most frequently used
author keywords, followed by "soil" and "cadmium" Authors from 54
different countries published in the journal, with the most publications
submitted by authors from Poland. Two Polish institutions, Technical
University of Gdansk and Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan, were the
main contributing institutions.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: KY Chuang, Taipei Med Univ, Sch Publ Hlth, 250 Wu Hsing St,
                Taipei 11014, Taiwan
TITLE:          Understanding long-term impacts of R&D funding: The EU
                framework programme (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Arnold, E
SOURCE:         RESEARCH EVALUATION 21 (5 SP ISS). DEC 2012. p.332-343
                OXFORD UNIV PRESS, OXFORD

SEARCH TERM(S):  PRICE DJD  rauth

KEYWORDS:       long-term impact; research; Framework Programme; R&D

ABSTRACT:       Despite a large and growing effort in the evaluation of
public R&D funding programmes, we know surprisingly little about their
long-term effects. This is a pity, because the conventional
justifications for state intervention in research depend upon phenomena
such as the production and use of public goods, knowledge, spillovers,
the production of human capital, and systemic changes that are inherently
long term in nature. The few available long-term studies demonstrate that
the time constants involved are indeed very big. However, the way public
policy is governed and managed pushes us to evaluate in the short term:
trying to explain or somehow to 'measure' the effects of programmes that
may not be complete and whose effects may not even be expected until some
time in the future. An earlier article considered what the existing
evaluation record tells us about Framework Programme performance,
pointing out the short-term orientation of the evaluation techniques used
and the correspondingly limited perspective they provide on impacts. This
article reports newer work to explore longer term effects and emphasizes
the role of the Framework Programme in coordinating the development of
the European innovation system. Thus while traditional studies of long-
term effects of research emphasize the links between new knowledge and
innovation, a more systemic approach points to the role of funding not
only in these aspects but also in the social shaping of the research and
innovation system.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: E Arnold, Technopolis Grp Ltd, 3 Pavil Bldg, Brighton BN1
                1EE, E Sussex, England

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TITLE:          Success Breeds Success: Authorship Distribution in the
                Red Journal, 1975-2011 (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Holliday, E; Fuller, CD; Wilson, LD; Thomas, CR Jr
SOURCE:         INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF RADIATION ONCOLOGY BIOLOGY
                PHYSICS 85 (1). JAN 1 2013. p.23-28 ELSEVIER SCIENCE
                INC, NEW YORK

SEARCH TERM(S):  JOURNAL  item_title

KEYWORDS+:       LOTKAS LAW; PRODUCTIVITY; PATTERNS; EVOLUTION; SCIENCE;
                PERIOD

ABSTRACT:       Purpose: Publication analysis has value in evaluating the
mechanics of academic efforts in specific scientific communities. The
specific aim of this study was to evaluate whether established
bibliometric patterns seen in other academic fields were likewise
observed in radiation oncology publication parameters.

Methods and Materials: We used a commercial bibliographic database to
analyze all publications in Red Journal, or International Journal of
Radiation Oncology Biology Physics (IJROBP), the New England Journal of
Medicine (NEJM), the Journal of Clinical Oncology (JCO), and Radiology
(Rad) between January 1, 1975 and May 18, 2011. Power-law (Lotka's law or
1/n(2)) conformance was assessed. Curve fit analysis was then performed.

Results: In all 4 journals, a total of 219,476 authors were responsible
for 62,232 articles. Of those, 79,810 authors published 13,772 articles
in IJROBP, with 79,446/16,707 authors/articles in NEJM, 106,984/11,920
authors/articles in JCO and 90,325/19,745 authors/articles in Rad. The
mean +/- standard deviation of authors per publication was 5.74 +/- 4.61
overall. There were 5.8 +/- 3.53, 4.8 +/- 5.7, 8.9 +/- 3.53, and 4.6 +/-
2.8 authors per article in IJROBP, NEJM, JCO, and Rad, respectively
(P<.001). The number of authors publishing n articles was 1/n(2.02) of
those publishing 1 article in IJROBP, 1/n(2.52) in NEJM, 1/n(1.97) in
JCO, and 1/n(2.16) in Rad.

Conclusions: Bibliometric analysis shows that authorship distributions in
IJROBP approximate those of the scientific literature in comparable
scientific journals. Our results suggest that the majority of
publications in the field of radiation oncology are produced by a small
but highly productive group of authors. (C) 2013 Elsevier Inc.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: CD Fuller, Univ Texas MD Anderson Canc Ctr, Dept Radiat
                Oncol, 1515 Holcombe Blvd,Unit 97, Houston, TX 77030 USA
TITLE:          Responding to an Ageing Population: A Bibliometric
                Analysis (Meeting Abstract, English)
AUTHOR:         Cochrane, A; Roberts, A
SOURCE:         IRISH JOURNAL OF MEDICAL SCIENCE 181 (SUPPL). SEP 2012.
                p.S265 SPRINGER LONDON LTD, LONDON
TITLE:          Disciplinary Networks and Bounding: Scientific
                Communication Between Science and Technology Studies and the History of
                Science (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Vandermoere, F; Vanderstraeten, R
SOURCE:         MINERVA 50 (4). DEC 2012. p.451-470 SPRINGER, DORDRECHT

SEARCH TERM(S):  MERTON RK  rauth; PUDO1113020053JA  rauth

KEYWORDS:       Disciplinary networks; Scientific communication; Science
                and technology studies; History of science
KEYWORDS+:       SOCIAL-SCIENCES; JOURNALS; SOCIOLOGY

ABSTRACT:       This article examines the communication networks within
and between science and technology studies (STS) and the history of
science. In particular, journal relatedness data are used to analyze some
of the structural features of their disciplinary identities and
relationships. The results first show that, although the history of
science is more than half a century older than STS, the size of the STS
network is more than twice that of the history of science network.
Further, while a majority of the journals in the STS network are
connected by weak ties, about half of the history of science network
consists of strong ties. The history of science network is thus more
cohesive than the STS network. The relatively strong cohesion within the
history of science network is associated with comparatively high degrees
of intra-disciplinary communication, but comparatively weak ties to only
a few related disciplines. The analysis also shows that very few members
of the history of science cliques are situated on the shortest path
between both specialties. Moreover, given the relatively impermeable
nature of the history of science network, the latter partially depends on
STS to reach some of the neighboring disciplines.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: F Vandermoere, Univ Antwerp, OASeS, Dept Sociol, Sint
                Jacobstr 2, B-2000 Antwerp, Belgium
TITLE:          Why do Scientists Migrate? A Diffusion Model (Article,
                English)
AUTHOR:         Braun, D
SOURCE:         MINERVA 50 (4). DEC 2012. p.471-491 SPRINGER, DORDRECHT

SEARCH TERM(S):  PRICE DJD  rauth

KEYWORDS:       Scientific innovation; Theory; Diffusion

ABSTRACT:       This article improves our understanding of the reasons
underlying the intellectual migration of scientists from existing
cognitive domains to nascent scientific fields. To that purpose we
present, first, a number of findings from the sociology of science that
give different insights about scientific migration. We then attempt to
bring some of these insights together under the conceptual roof of an
actor-based approach linking expected utility and diffusion theory.
Intellectual migration is seen as the choice of scientists who decide
under uncertainty and on the base of estimations about probabilities,
costs, and benefits of the migration. The resulting choice model can be
used as a heuristic base for further exploration of the subject.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: D Braun, Univ Lausanne, Inst Etud Polit & Int, CH-1015
                Lausanne, Switzerland
                scientific impact (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Bjork, BC; Solomon, D
SOURCE:         BMC MEDICINE 10. JUL 17 2012. p.NIL_1-NIL_10 BIOMED
                CENTRAL LTD, LONDON

KEYWORDS:       impact; open access; peer review; scientific publishing
KEYWORDS+:       SCIENCE; SCOPUS

ABSTRACT:       Background: In the past few years there has been an
ongoing debate as to whether the proliferation of open access (OA)
publishing would damage the peer review system and put the quality of
scientific journal publishing at risk. Our aim was to inform this debate
by comparing the scientific impact of OA journals with subscription
journals, controlling for journal age, the country of the publisher,
discipline and (for OA publishers) their business model.

Methods: The 2-year impact factors (the average number of citations to
the articles in a journal) were used as a proxy for scientific impact.
The Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) was used to identify OA
journals as well as their business model. Journal age and discipline were
obtained from the Ulrich's periodicals directory. Comparisons were
performed on the journal level as well as on the article level where the
results were weighted by the number of articles published in a journal. A
total of 610 OA journals were compared with 7,609 subscription journals
using Web of Science citation data while an overlapping set of 1,327 OA
journals were compared with 11,124 subscription journals using Scopus
data.

Results: Overall, average citation rates, both unweighted and weighted
for the number of articles per journal, were about 30% higher for
subscription journals. However, after controlling for discipline
(medicine and health versus other), age of the journal (three time
periods) and the location of the publisher (four largest publishing
countries versus other countries) the differences largely disappeared in
most subcategories except for journals that had been launched prior to
1996. OA journals that fund publishing with article processing charges
(APCs) are on average cited more than other OA journals. In medicine and
health, OA journals founded in the last 10 years are receiving about as
many citations as subscription journals launched during the same period.

Conclusions: Our results indicate that OA journals indexed in Web of
Science and/or Scopus are approaching the same scientific impact and
quality as subscription journals, particularly in biomedicine and for
journals funded by article processing charges.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: BC Bjork, Hanken Sch Econ, Helsinki, Finland
TITLE:          The Evolution of Academic Performance in Nine
                Subspecialties of Internal Medicine: An Analysis of Journal Citation
                Reports from 1998 to 2010 (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Zhang, Y; Kou, J; Zhang, XG; Zhang, L; Liu, SW; Cao, XY;
                Wang, YD; Wei, RB; Cai, GY; Chen, XM
SOURCE:         PLOS ONE 7 (10). OCT 31 2012. p.NIL_937-NIL_944 PUBLIC
                LIBRARY SCIENCE, SAN FRANCISCO

SEARCH TERM(S):   GARFIELD E         SCIENCE               122:108   1955

KEYWORDS+:       RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED-TRIALS; IMPACT FACTOR; QUALITY;
                PUBLICATION; ASSOCIATION; NEPHROLOGY; TRENDS

ABSTRACT:       Background: Internal medicine includes several
subspecialties. This study aimed to describe change trend of impact
factors in different subspecialties of internal medicine during the past
12 years, as well as the developmental differences among each
subspecialty, and the possible influencing factors behind these changes
and differences.

Methods: Nine subspecialties of internal medicine were chosen for
comparison. All data were collected from the Science Citation Index
Expanded and Journal Citation Reports database.

Results: (1) Journal numbers in nine subspecialties increased
significantly from 1998 to 2010, with an average increment of 80.23%, in
which cardiac and cardiovascular system diseases increased 131.2% rank
the first; hematology increased 45% rank the least. (2) Impact Factor in
subspecialties of infectious disease, cardiac and cardiovascular system
diseases, gastroenterology and hepatology, hematology, endocrinology and
metabolism increased significantly (p<0.05), in which gastroenterology
and hepatology had the largest increase of 65.4%. (3) Journal impact
factor of 0-2 had the largest proportion in all subspecialties. Among the
journals with high impact factor (IF>6), hematology had the maximum
proportion of 10%, nephrology and respiratory system disease had the
minimum of 4%. Among the journal with low impact factor (IF<2), journal
in nephrology and allergy had the most (60%), while endocrinology and
metabolism had the least (40%). There were differences in median number
of IF among the different subspecialties (p<0.05), in which endocrinology
and metabolism had the highest, nephrology had the lowest. (4) The
highest IF had a correlation with journal numbers and total paper numbers
in each field.

Conclusion: The IF of internal medicine journals showed an increasingly
positive trend, in which gastroenterology and hepatology increase the
most. Hematology had more high IF journals. Endocrinology and metabolism
had higher average IF. Nephrology remained the lowest position. Numbers
of journals and total papers were associated with the highest IF.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: GY Cai, Chinese Peoples Liberat Army Gen Hosp, Dept
                Nephrol, State Key Lab Kidney Dis, Beijing, Peoples R China
TITLE:          Contribution of Genome-Wide Association Studies to
                Scientific Research: A Bibliometric Survey of the Citation Impacts of
                GWAS and Candidate Gene Studies Published during the Same Period and in
                the Same Journals (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Mansiaux, Y; Carrat, F
SOURCE:         PLOS ONE 7 (12). DEC 11 2012. p.NIL_575-NIL_578 PUBLIC
                LIBRARY SCIENCE, SAN FRANCISCO

SEARCH TERM(S):  JOURNALS  item_title; BIBLIOMETR*  item_title;
                 CITATION  item_title; CITATION*  item_title

KEYWORDS+:       POPULATIONS; RISKS

ABSTRACT:       In genetic epidemiology, genome-wide association studies
(GWAS) are used to rapidly scan a large set of genetic variants and thus
to identify associations with a particular trait or disease. The GWAS
philosophy is different to that of conventional candidate-gene-based
approaches, which directly test the effects of genetic variants of
potentially contributory genes in an association study. One controversial
question is whether GWAS provide relevant scientific outcomes by
comparison with candidate-gene studies. We thus performed a bibliometric
study using two citation metrics to assess whether the GWAS have
contributed a capital gain in knowledge discovery by comparison with
candidate-gene approaches. We selected GWAS published between 2005 and
2009 and matched them with candidate-gene studies on the same topic and
published in the same period of time. We observed that the GWAS papers
have received, on average, 30 +/- 55 citations more than the candidate
gene papers, 1 year after their publication date, and 39 +/- 58 citations
more 2 years after their publication date. The GWAS papers were, on
average, 2.8 +/- 2.4 and 2.9 +/- 2.4 times more cited than expected, 1
and 2 years after their publication date; whereas the candidate gene
papers were 1.5 +/- 1.2 and 1.5 +/- 1.4 times more cited than expected.
While the evaluation of the contribution to scientific research through
citation metrics may be challenged, it cannot be denied that GWAS are
great hypothesis generators, and are a powerful complement to candidate
gene studies.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: Y Mansiaux, Univ Paris 06, UMR S 707, Paris, France
TITLE:          The NHJ 2012 in retrospect: which articles are cited
                most? (Editorial Material, English)
AUTHOR:         van der Wall, EE
SOURCE:         NETHERLANDS HEART JOURNAL 20 (12). DEC 2012. p.481-482
                BOHN STAFLEU VAN LOGHUM BV, HOUTEN

 KEYWORDS+:       CORONARY-ARTERY-DISEASE; HYPERTROPHIC CARDIOMYOPATHY;
                IMPACT FACTOR; NETHERLANDS; RISK; ADULTS

AUTHOR ADDRESS: EE van der Wall, NHI, ICIN, Utrecht, Netherlands
TITLE:          Correlation of publication frequency with impact factors
                in 1058 medical journals in SCI-expanded database (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Liu, XL; Liu, RY; Wang, MY
SOURCE:         MALAYSIAN JOURNAL OF LIBRARY & INFORMATION SCIENCE 17
                (3). DEC 2012. p.7-16 UNIV MALAYA, FAC COMPUTER SCIENCE
                & INFORMATION TECH, KUALA LUMPUR

SEARCH TERM(S):

                 GARFIELD E         JAMA-J AM MED ASSOC   295:90    2006;
                 GARFIELD E         SCIENCE               122:108   1955;
                 GARFIELD E         AM DOC                 14:195   1963;
                 GARFIELD E         CAN MED ASSOC J       161:979   1999

KEYWORDS:       Publication frequency; 2-year impact factor; 5-year
                impact factor; Medical journals; SCI-expanded database
KEYWORDS+:       INDEX; LAW

ABSTRACT:       We collected the impact factor (IF) and 5-year impact
factor (5-IF) of 1058 medical journals in SCI-expanded database, and
explore their changes with the increase of publication frequency (PF).
Our studies shows that there are positive correlation of PF with IF
(r=0.313, P=0.000) and 5-IF (r=0.298, P=0.000). According to the levels
of journals' PF, the journals were divided into four groups. The journals
with PF from 1 to 5 were divided into group I, t hat from 6 to 11, 12 to
23, 24 to 58 were divided into group II, group III and group IV,
respectively. The IF of the journals in group I were 1.94 +/- 1.71, 2.16
+/- 4.30 in group II, 3.17 +/- 2.93 in group III, and 8.00 +/- 9.68 in
group IV, respectively. The 5-IF of the journals in group I were 2.080 +/-
1.668, 2.194 +/- 3.046 in group II, 3.253 +/- 3.045 in group III, and
8.00 +/- 10.015 in group IV, respectively. With comparison of mean ranks
of IF and 5-IF among four groups with different PF, we had found that the
higher the PF the higher the IF (H=114.075, P=0.000) and 5-IF (H=102.796,
P=0.000). From 2006 to 2008, PF increased at various degrees in 22
journals, of which the total citation increased too, and just 18 journals
of which IF increased. After PF increased in 22 journals, IF and 5-year
IF were obviously higher than those before PF increased (Z=2.386, P=0.017;
Z=4.015, P=0.000). We concluded that the IF and 5-IF are increased with
the increasing of journals' PF. The mechanism of the positive correlation
between IF and PF are discussed.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: XL Liu, Xinxiang Med Univ, Henan Res Ctr Sci Journals,
                Xinxiang 453003, Henan Province, Peoples R China
TITLE:          Thai -Journal Citation Index (TCI) centre: 10 years of
                experiences, lessons learned, and ongoing development (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Sombatsompop, N; Chancheewa, S; Markpin, T;
                Premkamolnetr, N; Ittiritmeechai, S; Wongkaew, C;
                Yochai, W; Ratchatahirun, P
SOURCE:         MALAYSIAN JOURNAL OF LIBRARY & INFORMATION SCIENCE 17
                (3). DEC 2012. p.17-33 UNIV MALAYA, FAC COMPUTER SCIENCE
                & INFORMATION TECH, KUALA LUMPUR
KEYWORDS:       National citation index database; Research performance
                evaluations; Thai-journal Citation Index (TCI) database;
                ASEAN Citation Index (ACI); National Citation Centre
KEYWORDS+:       IMPACT FACTORS; DATABASE; UNIVERSITIES

ABSTRACT:       This paper outlines 10 years of experiences concerning
the inception and operation of the Thai-Journal Citation Index (TCI)
Centre, which was the first national citation centre in Thailand and also
in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), founded in 2001.
The experiences discussed involve the aims and missions of the TCI
towards improving the quality and increasing the visibility of local and
national research findings. The impacts of the TCI on the academic
community are also described, together with the challenges faced in
regard to its acceptability, especially by internationally oriented
researchers. Various TCI activities to promote and disseminate national
research findings are discussed, such as a quality assessment program for
Thai journals indexed in TCI, awarding high-quality Thai journals,
launching the Thai Journal Online (Thai-JO) system, and identification
and comparison of local research performances using TCI and international
databases as data sources. Finally, the ASEAN Citation Index (ACI)
database is introduced, as part of the preparation for the ASEAN Economic
Community (AEC) in conjunction with the TCI and other national citation
index databases, in order to enhance the dissemination and quality of
ASEAN research profiles on an international platform.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: N Sombatsompop, King Mongkuts Univ Technol Thonburi,
                Polymer Proc & Flow P PROF Grp, Sch Energy Environm & Mat,
                Bangkok 10140, Thailand
TITLE:          Sri Lanka S & T output during 2001-2010: A scientometric
                asssessment (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Gupta, BM
SOURCE:         MALAYSIAN JOURNAL OF LIBRARY & INFORMATION SCIENCE 17
                (3). DEC 2012. p.49-65 UNIV MALAYA, FAC COMPUTER SCIENCE
                & INFORMATION TECH, KUALA LUMPUR
KEYWORDS:       Research productivity; Science; Technology;
                Scientometrics; Citation study; Sri Lanka
KEYWORDS+:       INDIA

ABSTRACT:       This study analyses the research output of Sri Lanka in
S&T during 2001-2010 on several parameters including its growth and
global publications share, citation impact, share of international
collaborative papers, contribution of major collaborative partner
countries, contribution to various subject fields, geographical
distribution of its papers, evaluation of the characteristics on its high
productive institutions, authors and papers and the journals publishing
the research output. The Scopus Citation Database has been used to
retrieve the publication data for 10 years. The study concludes that Sri
Lanka needs to increase its output and bring about improvement in the
quality of its research efforts. This can be done by investing much more
in research and development (R&D) expenditure, increase in the deployment
of more qualified manpower and international collaboration; and by
modernizing and strengthening its research infrastructure.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: BM Gupta, Natl Inst Sci Technol & Dev Studies, Dr KS
                Krishnan Marg, New Delhi 110012, India
TITLE:          A tapered diffusion impact indicator: A preliminary
                exploration on the journal level (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Zhang, L
SOURCE:         MALAYSIAN JOURNAL OF LIBRARY & INFORMATION SCIENCE 17
                (3). DEC 2012. p.67-72 UNIV MALAYA, FAC COMPUTER SCIENCE
                & INFORMATION TECH, KUALA LUMPUR
SEARCH TERM(S):

                 HIRSCH JE          P NATL ACAD SCI USA   102:16569 2005;

                 GARFIELD E         AM DOC                 14:195   1963

KEYWORDS:       Knowledge diffusion; Diffusion index; Tapered indicator;
                Citation analysis
KEYWORDS+:       KNOWLEDGE DIFFUSION; CITATIONS; OUTPUT; INDEX

ABSTRACT:       We introduce an indicator (D-T) to measure the diffusion
impact of scientific research. The indicator focuses on the variety of
citing sources by giving a full credit when a new citing source makes an
appearance, and a tapered credit when a new citing paper appears in an
already used existed source. As a preliminary study, we only used a
simple example with individual journals as the diffusion units. A sample
from a highly interdisciplinary journal, Chemometrics and Intelligent
Laboratory Systems, is used to illustrate this procedure. From the
theoretical analysis and experimental examples, the DT index proved an
efficient function for differentiating the scope of citation diffusion.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: L Zhang, N China Univ Water Conservancy & Elect Power, Dept
                Management & Econ, Beihuan Rd 36, Zhengzhou 450011, Peoples
                R China
TITLE:          Co-authorship network of scientometrics research
                collaboration (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Erfanmanesh, M; Rohani, VA; Abrizah, A
SOURCE:         MALAYSIAN JOURNAL OF LIBRARY & INFORMATION SCIENCE 17
                (3). DEC 2012. p.73-93 UNIV MALAYA, FAC COMPUTER SCIENCE
                & INFORMATION TECH, KUALA LUMPUR
KEYWORDS:       Social Network Analysis; Co-authorship collaborative
                network; Centrality measures; Degree centrality;
                Closeness centrality; Betweenness centrality
KEYWORDS+:       SCIENTIFIC COLLABORATION; SOCIAL NETWORKS; SCIENCE

ABSTRACT:       This paper examines the co-authorship network in the
field of scientometrics using social network analysis techniques with the
aim of developing an understanding of research collaboration in this
scientific community. Using co-authorship data from 3125 articles
published in the journal Scientometrics with a time span of more than
three decades (1980-2012), we construct an evolving co-authorship network
and calculate three centrality measures (closeness, betweenness, and
degree) for 3024 authors, 1207 institutions, 68 countries and 22 academic
fields in this network. This paper also discusses the usability of
centrality measures in author ranking, and suggests that centrality
measures can be useful indicators for impact analysis. Findings revealed
that scientometrics was not dominated by a couple of key researchers as
quite a significant number of popular researchers were identified. The
United States occupies the topmost position in all measures except for
degree centrality. The most active, central and collaborative academic
discipline in scientometrics is Information & Library Science.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: M Erfanmanesh, Univ Malaya, Fac Comp Sci & Informat
                Technol, Dept Lib & Informat Sci, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
TITLE:          Research trends on nitrate removal: a bibliometric
                analysis (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Huang, WL; Zhang, BG; Feng, CP; Li, M; Zhang, J
SOURCE:         DESALINATION AND WATER TREATMENT 50 (1-3). 2012. p.67-77
                TAYLOR & FRANCIS INC, PHILADELPHIA
KEYWORDS:       Scientometrics; Research trend; Nitrate removal;
                Denitrification
KEYWORDS+:       CATALYTIC-REDUCTION; NITROGEN REMOVAL; DRINKING-WATER;
                ION-EXCHANGE; GROUNDWATER; ELECTRODIALYSIS; COPPER; RATIO

ABSTRACT:       Nitrate contamination has become an increasing problem
globally and has aroused the interests of researchers. The present
research was designed to evaluate the global scientific outputs in the
Institute of Scientific Information subject category of "nitrate removal"
for the past 20 years, based on the online version of the Science
Citation Index Expanded, Web of Science, from 1991 to 2010. Articles
related to nitrate removal were assessed from the aspect of distributions
of source countries, institutes, the distributions of words in the title,
author keywords, and KeyWords Plus. The new method named "word cluster
analysis" was also employed to further investigate the research status on
nitrate removal. Three categories including removal field, removal
methods, and product were also introduced to analyze the research trends
in nitrate removal. The results showed that researchers paid most
attention to "soil" and "water" in the removal field. "Denitrification"
possessed the largest percentage among the removal methods, indicating
that biological means were dominated for nitrate removal. Moreover,
"nitrogen" as the ideal product of nitrate removal was the most
predominant among the product, which was the goal of the technique for
nitrate removal. The impacts of the most cited articles each year were
also discussed with the article life information.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: BG Zhang, China Univ Geosci Beijing, Sch Water Resources &
                Environm, Beijing Key Lab Water Resources & Environm Engn,
                Beijing 100083, Peoples R China
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TITLE:          Evaluating quality and excellence in translation studies
                research Publish or perish, the Spanish way (Article, English)
AUTHOR:         Rovira-Esteva, S; Orero, P
SOURCE:         BABEL-REVUE INTERNATIONALE DE LA
                TRADUCTION-INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF TRANSLATION 58 (3).
                2012. p.264-288 JOHN BENJAMINS PUBLISHING COMPANY,
                AMSTERDAM
KEYWORDS:       Translation and interpreting research; quality assessment;
                bibliometrics; specialised journals

ABSTRACT:       Academia has embarked on a journey where credentials must
be shown on a regular basis: publish or perish. Obtaining the ticket to
success is beyond quantity, which can be measured; it is related to more
intangible terms such as excellence and quality. Research assessment
exercises are now here to stay, and they test not only those who wish to
jump on board, but also their baggage, and ultimately whether their boat
stays afloat or sinks.

Qualitative assessment is a much maligned exercise which has to evaluate
and balance criteria measured in terms of: originality, thematic
diversity, innovation, sustainability, multi-disciplinary research,
benefits, and impact. This article departs from a study of some Spanish
evaluating agencies-also making reference when possible to their European
equivalent and their assessment criteria. After drafting a list of merits
listed in each agency the article poses some basic questions regarding
assessment. It then goes into the nature of assessment criteria and
offers concrete data on Translation and Interpreting Studies journal
indexing. The paper concludes with some general comments and
recommendations, which are valid across Europe.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: S Rovira-Esteva, Univ Autonoma Barcelona, Dept Translat &
                Interpreting, Ctr Res Accessibil & Ambient Intelligence
                Catalon, Bellaterra 08193, Spain

TITLE:          Rapid Changes of Serbian Scientific Journals: Their
                Quality, Visibility and Role in Science Locally and Globally (Article,
                English)
AUTHOR:         Popovic, A; Antonic, S; Matutinovic, SF
SOURCE:         E-SCIENCE AND INFORMATION MANAGEMENT 317. 2012. p.61-70
                SPRINGER-VERLAG BERLIN, BERLIN

SEARCH TERM(S):  JOURNALS  item_title

KEYWORDS:       Scientific journals; citation analysis; Web of Science;
                Scopus; national citation index; Serbia
KEYWORDS+:       CROATIAN JOURNALS; CITATION ANALYSIS; IMPACT

ABSTRACT:       More than 400 scientific journals are published in
Serbia, and 357 are referred to in the Serbian Citation Index - national
citation index. The visibility of Serbian scientific journals in the
citation database Web of Science has risen significantly in the last
decade. Results of this analysis show the presence of Serbian journals in
Web of Science, JCR, Scopus and Serbian Citation Index (SCIndeks) during
four years (2007 to 2010). The paper discusses different bibliometric
parameters in Web of Science. JCR and the Scopus portal SCImago
(citations, average citations/year, impact factor, Hirsch index) for
Serbian journals. Bibliometric indicators that appear in the National
Citation Index are also analyzed. The number of Serbian journals with
impact factor has increased during the observed period. The impact of
Serbian publishers rose remarkably in 2010, and Serbia has two highly
ranked journals.