Virtual seminar recordings are now freely available

Halevi, Gali (ELS-NYC) G.Halevi at ELSEVIER.COM
Fri Feb 15 07:53:32 EST 2013

Dear colleagues,

On Tuesday, 22nd January 2013, Research Trends<http://www.researchtrends.com/> and the Elsevier Labs<http://labs.elsevier.com/> co-hosted their first virtual seminar: The Individual and Scholarly Networks<http://www.researchtrends.com/virtualseminar/>. The event attracted over 500 attendees from all over the world, and featured six compelling external speakers. We used a novel format aimed to maximise engagement: in addition to audio and slides, we showed videos of the speakers and Twitter feed.

Materials from the event including recordings of each session and discussion, presentations, and a Q&A transcript for those questions that we were unable to address live, are now all freely available at http://www.researchtrends.com/virtualseminar/. Unfortunately we were not able to get rid of some of the technical issues affecting audio in the second part of the event.

There were two components to the event. The first part focussed on building networks, and the ways in which relationships are formed and maintained, as well as how they are changing the nature of scholarly relationships. In this session, Prof. Jeremy Frey<http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~jgf/Frey/Home.html> discussed how varying degrees of openness aid scientific collaboration, while Gregg Gordon<http://ssrn.com/> presented an overview of the Social Science Research Network<http://ssrn.com/>. Then, Dr William Gunn<http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/william-gunn/> talked on building networks through information linking, using Mendeley<http://www.mendeley.com/> as an example. The second part was about evaluating network relationships, exploring the related areas of alternative metrics and the culture of reference. In this session, Dr Gudmundur Thorisson<http://gthorisson.name/about> discussed digital scholarship and the recently launched ORCID<http://about.orcid.org/> initiative, while Kelli Barr<http://www.csid.unt.edu/about/People/barr.html> questioned the purpose of and objectivity of evaluations. Finally, Dr Heather Piwowar<http://www.researchremix.org/wordpress/> explored various impact flavours, in particular ImpactStory<http://impactstory.org/>. Each session was followed by lively discussions amongst the presenters, spurred by questions and comments from our remote audience.

A summary of the event and highlights of the discussion can also be found here<http://elsevierconnect.com/how-virtual-science-communities-are-transforming-academic-research/>.

Sincerely,

The Research Trends Team