Ranking Web (Webometrics) of Universities

Isidro F. Aguillo isidro.aguillo at CCHS.CSIC.ES
Sat Sep 1 05:04:45 EDT 2012

Quoting :

> You write:
>
> "Then, what is the difference with "publish or perish"?"
>
> Well: performativity is a quite different thing than publish or
> perish! When you
> publish a paper (for whatever reason) you produce a unit of something
> definite.
> When you bring people you adapt to an indicator based on web
> visibility they do
> not produce anything new but just make it visible on the web. Why
> should THAT be
> an indicator of anything other than making it "visible"? This  has no clear
> meaning and you just create a universe based on a self-fulfilling prophecy in
> which people take the indicator for the reality instead of looking at the
> reality and then trying to get a good indicator for it. And producing
> that every
> year has no interest since a university is a big inertial boat that
> cannot move
> fast in a year. So this is JUST marketing. I predict that this line
> of thought
> will bring university managers to evaluate people on their "Twitter"
> visibility
> soon, even though talk on twitter is no ore than conversation over a
> beer at a
> bar. This could not be measured however, so we did not care. NOW we
> can measure
> tweets easily so we will do it without thinking hard about what that practice
> means exactly and without thinking about the consequences of creating such
> dubious pseudo-indicators.

Interesting. You are defending the web is only a platform for "marketing" knowledge already available by other sources. Even if there are specific web contents, they are not interesting, useful or have enough quality at all to be analyzed with informetric methods.

The calendar say we are in 2012 and the scenario you described is no longer correct. There is a lot of genuine new scientific knowledge on the web, of course scientific papers, but other contents that were never available in other formats. And those contents are the ones we are focusing (tweets not for now as trending topics in science is completely unrelated with research fronts identification, is not?)

"Web publish or perish" is as legitimate as "Publish or perish"

> You also write:
>
> "Temperature: So, do you prefer measuring "specific" movement of millions of
>> molecules in a glass of water than applying an "overall" thermometer. This a
>> good example of what an INDICATOR is".
>>

> But temperature is homogeneous (and so is different from humidity);
> it is not a
> composite indicator at all. Adding different indicators (as I suggested by
> saying to add temperature to humidity) cannot produce a well defined
> indicator
> when they are are heterogeneous.
> Conclusion: less urge on measuring anything obvious and more thought on what
> exactly a given indicator means before concelling universities to
> adapt to it.
> It took time to construct a good thermometer and distinguishing it from the
> measure of humidity...

>From exactly this point of view, what is the difference between combining number of papers and number of citations and combining webpages and weblinks?

Best regards,