Ranking Web (Webometrics) of Universities

Isidro F. Aguillo isidro.aguillo at CCHS.CSIC.ES
Sat Sep 1 04:35:19 EDT 2012

Dear Jean-Claude,

I can not say anything about intentions because I do not know the policies involved. But I can talk about facts and these are very simple:

- HAL is developing both a central repository and helping in the development of institutional repositories. It is a welcomed initiative as provide both technical expertise and funding support and from a political point of view is reinforcing OA agenda in France.

- When referring to the institutional repositories there are universities who claim their "moral rights" to the papers authored by their members and use the institutional web domain of the university like for example:

HAL Université Pierre et Marie Curie    http://hal.upmc.fr/
HAL Université de Bretagne Occidentale    http://hal.univ-brest.fr/

and others (like the ones I cited in previous messages) that not.

I am not against HAL, just on the contrary, but remember the serious problems we have in bibliometrics correctly assigning affiliations from signatures in papers. Also consider that many rectors are giving instructions for standardizing they way the affiliations are used. So, why a so important resource is forgotten?

Best,

Quoting Jean-Claude Guédon:

--
Isidro F. Aguillo, HonPhD