Google Scholar Metrics: an unreliable tool for assessing scientific journals

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Tue Jul 17 09:43:18 EDT 2012

Thanks for this. It is just what we need in our research here at LSU.

Stephen J Bensman, Ph.D.
LSU Libraries
Lousiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
USA

From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics [mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU] On Behalf Of Alvaro Cabezas
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 10:42 AM
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: [SIGMETRICS] Google Scholar Metrics: an unreliable tool for assessing scientific journals

You may be interested in this paper which aims to review the new Google's product Google Scholar Metrics. "Google Scholar Metrics: an unreliable tool for assessing scientific journals".

In this work, we perform a critical review of Google Scholar Metrics (GSM), showing their main characteristics and shortcomings. We conclude that, despite Google Scholar's value as a source for scientific assessment, GSM is an immature product with many shortcomings, and therefore we advise against its use for evaluation purposes.

We also attach the supplementary material, including screenshots with the different mistakes that are pointed out in the text.

Delgado-López-Cózar, Emilio; Cabezas-Clavijo, Álvaro. "Google Scholar Metrics: an unreliable tool for assessing scientific journals". El profesional de la información, 2012, July-August, v. 21, n. 4, pp. 419-427. http://dx.doi.org/10.3145/epi.2012.jul.15 (open access version at http://digibug.ugr.es/handle/10481/21540 )

Best regards

--
Álvaro Cabezas