Google Scholar Metrics: an unreliable tool for assessing scientific journals

Alvaro Cabezas acabezasclavijo at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 16 11:41:52 EDT 2012

Dear colleagues

You may be interested in this paper which aims to review the new Google's
product Google Scholar Metrics. "Google Scholar Metrics: an unreliable tool
for assessing scientific journals".

In this work, we perform a critical review of Google Scholar Metrics (GSM),
showing their main characteristics and shortcomings. We conclude that,
despite Google Scholar’s value as a source for scientific assessment, GSM
is an immature product with many shortcomings, and therefore we advise
against its use for evaluation purposes.

We also attach the supplementary material, including screenshots with the
different mistakes that are pointed out in the text.

Delgado-López-Cózar, Emilio; Cabezas-Clavijo, Álvaro. “Google Scholar
Metrics: an unreliable tool for assessing scientific journals”. El
profesional de la información, 2012, July-August, v. 21, n. 4, pp. 419-427.
http://dx.doi.org/10.3145/epi.2012.jul.15 (open access version at
http://digibug.ugr.es/handle/10481/21540 )

Best regards

--