Measuring institutional output in the social sciences

Michael Ladisch michael.ladisch at UCD.IE
Thu Dec 6 11:53:20 EST 2012

Dear Franz,

The Royal Irish Academy published a report "The Appropriateness of Key
Performance Indicators to Research in Arts and Humanities Disciplines
<http://www.hea.ie/files/Key-Performance-Indicators-2011-Full-PDF.pdf>"
in 2011. It covers a range of disciplines and is quite interesting.

Viele Gruesse aus Dublin
Michael Ladisch

On 06/12/2012 13:25, Barjak Franz wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> The weaknesses of using mainly journal-based databases for measuring
> output in the social sciences and humanities are widely discussed and
> well known. I would be interested in literature or approaches on how
> to measure institutional output in the social sciences. I am looking
> to answers on questions such as:
>
> - What types of publications should be counted?
>
> - Is there an accepted procedure for combining them into a publication
> index or indices or, in other words, should different types of
> publications get different weights?
>
> - How should such measures be normalised at institutional level?
>
> - Have institutional practices of measuring output ever been analysed
> or compared?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions and hints to literature.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Franz Barjak

> Dr. Franz Barjak
>
> Professor for Empirical Economic & Social Research
> University of Applied Sciences
> Northwestern Switzerland FHNW
> School of Business
> Riggenbachstrasse 16
> CH-4600 Olten
> Switzerland
> franz.barjak at fhnw.ch <mailto:franz.barjak at fhnw.ch>
> p. +41 62 287 7825, fax: +41 62 287 7845

Michael Ladisch
Bibliographic Services Librarian

University College Dublin James Joyce Library
Belfield, Dublin 4, Ireland
Tel: +353 (0)1 716 7530
Email: michael.ladisch at ucd.ie

Library website: http://www.ucd.ie/library