Ranking Web (Webometrics) of Universities

Isidro F. Aguillo isidro.aguillo at CCHS.CSIC.ES
Fri Aug 31 16:08:30 EDT 2012

Quoting Yves Gingras:

> You write:
>
> “Even more interesting we are able to identify reasons (web bad practices)
> for major discrepancies. And we can offer advice and our results are useful
> for many universities”.
>
> But this is obviously a tautology based oin the performative aspect of the
> indicator!

Thanks. This is easy: Then, what is the difference with "publish or perish"?

> You are in fact saying: “1) I define performance with  the presence on the
> web; 2) your institution is not there or badly ranked, then 3) get a better
> web and you will be defined as having a better “performance”... It is
> exactly liked rankings based on books in college  libraries: we do not know
> if that means the college is really better than any other but DO buy books
> if your college is badly ranked!

This is a misunderstanding. We are NOT measuring web design nor usability. We are measuring academic contents produced by faculty members, researchers or technicians and their impact in a truly global huge audience. It is not enough to publish on the web, in order to receive links these contents should be good, useful or interesting independently of their appearance.

> I fail to see how this is a real discovery or contribution. It is exactly
> like a marketing company saying what color of a tie you should wear to pass
> on TV.

Sorry? So, if we analyze your list of papers we are making science but if we consider your academic webpages, are we making "marketing"?

> We are far from measuring specific, as opposed to “overall” (whatever that
> means) performance of an institution. Using a mix of heterogeneous
> indicators will always permit one to say that the mix bag represent the
> “overall” activity of an institution. It is like saying that the sum of
> temperature and humidity gives the “overall weather” as opposed to
> temperature.

Temperature: So, do you prefer measuring "specific" movement of millions of molecules in a glass of water than applying an "overall" thermometer. This a good example of what an INDICATOR is.

And, please do not forget the empirical results.

Best,

--
Isidro F. Aguillo, HonPhD
Cybermetrics Lab (3C1). CCHS - CSIC