Ranking Web (Webometrics) of Universities

Isidro F. Aguillo isidro.aguillo at CCHS.CSIC.ES
Fri Aug 31 13:18:39 EDT 2012

Quoting Yves Gingras:

> The vagueness of the indicator is here componded by the arbitrary
> ponderation: why 50%? Why not 10% for links and 80% for citations?

The ponderation is based in a model following a ratio 1:1 between activity and impact, so 50% for each. Basically it is he same ratio that everybody uses in bibliometrics between papers and citations.

 This just
> confirms that a composite indicator of heterogeneous measures has no
> definite meaning. Also: is being ³linked to² or being ³visited by² many
> people really measuring something definite?

Never, in no place we have defended the use of visits for the same reasons most of the people does not use journal circulation for scientific evaluation.

Linking is an intellectual action and if you are linking academic contents is because they are interesting or useful according to your criteria, If you are a scientist the motivations for linking are not far different that the ones for citing.

It seems here that numbers are
> used because they are available even though nobody knows what they mean
> exactly. We should strive to build indicators the meaning of which we
> control to make sure we can then understand they variation over time: we
> know a thermometer measures temperature and not humidity (for which we need
> a hygrometer) but if we we add (or multiply) one with the other we any
> precise informatino on temperature...

My hypothesis is that our "thermometer" is able to measure overall university performance. The empirical results correlate highly with other rankings including bibliometric ones; Harvard, MIT, Standford in top, Cambridge, Oxford, ETH Zurich heading Europe, Tokyo first in Asia or Sao Paulo first for Latinamerica.

Even more interesting we are able to identify reasons (web bad practices) for major discrepancies. And we can offer advice and our results are useful for many universities.

Best regards,

--
Isidro F. Aguillo, HonPhD
Cybermetrics Lab (3C1). CCHS - CSIC