Open access?

Stephen J Bensman notsjb at LSU.EDU
Thu Apr 12 11:38:42 EDT 2012

Henk,
Thank you very much for the clarification.  I was somewhat stunned to find that thing.  I have already explained in my response to Fil the importance of Google Scholar having access to the Elsevier database.  Without such access it could not deliver valid results, and I was just wasting my time testing its validity.  However, my results are validating the use of GS for evaluative purposes, if only for the different and broader perspective that it offers on matters.

Respectfully,

Stephen J Bensman, Ph.D.
LSU Libraries
Lousiana State University
Baton Rouge, LA 70803

-----Original Message-----
From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics [mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU] On Behalf Of Moed, Henk (ELS-AMS)
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2012 5:57 AM
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] Open access?

Dear Stephen,

Thank you for your comment on indexing in Google Scholar. There appears to be serious misunderstanding in your communication which we would like to correct. Elsevier allows Google, Google Scholar and Microsoft Academic Search (and other search engines) to index the full text on ScienceDirect (SD) (referred to also as deep indexing). We have an agreement in place with these search engines and have even set up special processes to facilitate indexing to ensure completeness and provide structure metadata to ensure accurate search results.

That said, there is clearly a potential for confusion in the policy wording that you came across and we are currently looking to clarify that to prevent further misunderstanding. We thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Kind Regards

Henk F. Moed
Senior Scientific Advisor
Elsevier