A. Scharnhorst, E. Garfield (2010) Tracing scientific influence

Andrea Scharnhorst andrea.scharnhorst at DANS.KNAW.NL
Thu May 26 10:57:22 EDT 2011

A. Scharnhorst, E. Garfield (2010)
Tracing scientific influence.
International Journal -Dynamics of Socio-Economic Systems 2 (1)
http://www.dyses.org.ar/ojs2333/index.php/jdyses/issue/view/2
Available as preprint at arXiv:1010.3525v1 [physics.soc-ph] http://arxiv.org/abs/1010.3525.

Scientometrics is the field of quantitative studies of scholarly activity. It has been used for systematic studies of the fundamentals of scholarly practice as well as for evaluation purposes. Although advocated from the very beginning the use of scientometrics as an additional method for science history is still under explored. In this paper we show how a scientometric analysis can be used to shed light on the reception history of certain outstanding scholars. As a case, we look into citation patterns of a specific paper by the American sociologist Robert K. Merton.

Andrea Scharnhorst
Senior Research Fellow
Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences
Data Archiving & Networked Services
Postbus 93067   T: 070  3446 484
2509 AB Den Haag  F: 070  3446 482
Anna van Saksenlaan 10 andrea.scharnhorst at dans.knaw.nl<mailto:andrea.scharnhorst at dans.knaw.nl>