Jensen, P. 2011. A statistical picture of popularization activities and their evolutions in France. PUBLIC UNDERSTANDING OF SCIENCE 20 (1): 26-36

Sat May 7 13:24:49 EDT 2011

Jensen, P. 2011. A statistical picture of popularization activities and their
evolutions in France. PUBLIC UNDERSTANDING OF SCIENCE 20 (1): 26-36.

Author Full Name(s): Jensen, Pablo
Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: interaction experts/publics; popularization of science; public
understanding of science; science experts; scientists' attitudes; social
responsibility of scientists
KeyWords Plus: SCIENCE

Abstract: This paper provides a detailed statistical picture of French scientists
involved in public outreach. This is achieved by analysing the popularization
practices of 7000 scientists in all major disciplines over a six-year period (2004
to 2009). I analyse the influence of discipline, position, age and academic
productivity. Thanks to a temporal analysis, I show that scientists can be split
into three distinct populations with radically different popularization practices.
Finally, this analysis suggests that the recent increase in public engagement is
the result of heightened social interest which pulls more outreach from
particular disciplines.

Addresses: Ecole Normale Super Lyon, Phys Lab, F-69007 Lyon, France
Reprint Address: Jensen, P, Ecole Normale Super Lyon, Phys Lab, F-69007
Lyon, France.

E-mail Address: pablo.jensen at ens-lyon.fr
ISSN: 0963-6625
DOI: 10.1177/0963662510383632