Hu, XJ; Rousseau, R; Chen, J. 2011. On the definition of forward and backward citation generations. JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS 5 (1): 27-36

Sat Mar 26 15:31:25 EDT 2011

Hu, XJ; Rousseau, R; Chen, J. 2011. On the definition of forward and backward
citation generations. JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS 5 (1): 27-36..

Author Full Name(s): Hu, Xiaojun; Rousseau, Ronald; Chen, Jin
Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: Citation generations; Direct and indirect influence; Web of
Science; Generating function
KeyWords Plus: PUBLICATIONS; INDEX

Abstract: A publication exerts direct and indirect influence on other articles (by
citing articles and by articles that cite citing articles) and is itself influenced
directly as well as indirectly (by references and references of references). This
citation network leads to generations of citing and cited publications. In this
contribution we show that these generations can be defined in different ways.
We also propose methods to calculate indicators derived from these citation
generations. We claim that, when studying a publication's contribution to the
evolution of its field or to science in general, taking only direct citations into
account, tells only part of the story. (C) 2010 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

Addresses: [Hu, Xiaojun; Chen, Jin] Zhejiang Univ, Coll Publ Adm, Hangzhou
310027, Peoples R China; [Hu, Xiaojun] Zhejiang Univ, Sch Med, Med Informat
Ctr, Hangzhou 310058, Zhejiang, Peoples R China; [Rousseau, Ronald] KHBO
Assoc KU Leuven, B-8400 Oostende, Belgium; [Rousseau, Ronald] Univ
Antwerp, IBW, B-2000 Antwerp, Belgium
Reprint Address: Chen, J, Zhejiang Univ, Coll Publ Adm, 38 Zheda Rd, Hangzhou
310027, Peoples R China.

E-mail Address: xjhu at zju.edu.cn; ronald.rousseau at khbo.be; cjhd at zju.edu.cn
ISSN: 1751-1577
DOI: 10.1016/j.joi.2010.07.004