Su, C; Pan, YT; Zhen, YN; Ma, Z; Yuan, JP; Guo, H; Yu, ZL; Ma, CF; Wu, YS. 2011. PrestigeRank: A new evaluation method for papers and journals. JOURNAL OF INFORMETRICS 5 (1): 1-13

Sat Mar 26 15:28:34 EDT 2011

Su, C; Pan, YT; Zhen, YN; Ma, Z; Yuan, JP; Guo, H; Yu, ZL; Ma, CF; Wu, YS.
2011. PrestigeRank: A new evaluation method for papers and journals. JOURNAL
OF INFORMETRICS 5 (1): 1-13.

Author Full Name(s): Su Cheng; Pan YunTao; Zhen YanNing; Ma Zheng; Yuan
JunPeng; Guo Hong; Yu ZhengLu; Ma CaiFeng; Wu YiShan
Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: PrestigeRank; Citation analysis; Paper evaluation; Journal
evaluation; PageRank; Authority factor; Impact factor
KeyWords Plus: PAGERANK ALGORITHM; ANATOMY

Abstract: This paper studies how missing data in the PageRank algorithm
influences the result of papers ranking and proposes PrestigeRank algorithm on
that basis. We make use of PrestigeRank to give the ranking of all papers in
physics in the Chinese Scientific and Technology Papers and Citation Database
(CSTPCD) published between 2004 and 2006. We compared PrestigeRank result
with PageRank and citation ranking. We found PrestigeRank is significantly
correlated with PageRank and citation counts. We also used paper citation
networks to rank journals, and compared the result with that of journal citation
networks. We proposed PRsum, PRave, and compared both of them with
citation counts and impact factor. It indicates PRsum, PRave can reflect
journal's authority favorably. We also discuss the advantages and
disadvantages, application scope and application prospects of PrestigeRank in
the evaluation of papers and journals. (C) 2010 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

Addresses: [Su Cheng; Pan YunTao; Zhen YanNing; Ma Zheng; Yuan JunPeng;
Guo Hong; Yu ZhengLu; Ma CaiFeng; Wu YiShan] Inst Sci & Tech Informat
China, Res Ctr Informat Sci Methodol, Beijing 100038, Peoples R China
Reprint Address: Su, C, Inst Sci & Tech Informat China, Res Ctr Informat Sci
Methodol, 15 Fuxing Rd, Beijing 100038, Peoples R China.

E-mail Address: sucheng at istic.ac.cn
ISSN: 1751-1577
DOI: 10.1016/j.joi.2010.03.011
fulltext: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.joi.2010.03.011