Ding, Y; Cronin, B. 2011. Popular and/or prestigious? Measures of scholarly esteem. INFORMATION PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT 47 (1): 80-96

Sun Jan 16 11:35:43 EST 2011

Ding, Y; Cronin, B. 2011. Popular and/or prestigious? Measures of scholarly
esteem. INFORMATION PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT 47 (1): 80-96..

Author Full Name(s): Ding, Ying; Cronin, Blaise
Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: Citation analysis; Information retrieval; Popularity; Prestige;
Esteem
KeyWords Plus: IMPACT FACTOR; JOURNAL IMPACT; H-INDEX; INFORMATION-
SCIENCE; CITATION NETWORKS; WEB; INDICATORS; PAGERANK

Abstract: Citation analysis does not generally take the quality of citations into
account: all citations are weighted equally irrespective of source. However, a
scholar may be highly cited but not highly regarded: popularity and prestige are
not identical measures of esteem. In this study we define popularity as the
number of times an author is cited and prestige as the number of times an
author is cited by highly cited papers. Information retrieval (IR) is the test field.
We compare the 40 leading researchers in terms of their popularity and prestige
over time. Some authors are ranked high on prestige but not on popularity,
while others are ranked high on popularity but not on prestige. We also relate
measures of popularity and prestige to date of Ph.D. award, number of key
publications, organizational affiliation, receipt of prizes/honors, and gender.
Published by Elsevier Ltd.

Addresses: [Ding, Ying; Cronin, Blaise] Indiana Univ, Sch Lib & Informat Sci,
Bloomington, IN 47405 USA

Reprint Address: Ding, Y, Indiana Univ, Sch Lib & Informat Sci, Bloomington, IN
47405 USA.

E-mail Address: dingying at indiana.edu; bcronin at indiana.edu
ISSN: 0306-4573
DOI: 10.1016/j.ipm.2010.01.002