Yin, XS; Huang, JXJ; Li, ZJ. 2011. Mining and modeling linkage information from citation context for improving biomedical literature retrieval. INFORMATION PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT 47 (1): 53-67

Sun Jan 16 11:31:14 EST 2011

Yin, XS; Huang, JXJ; Li, ZJ. 2011. Mining and modeling linkage information from
citation context for improving biomedical literature retrieval. INFORMATION
PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT 47 (1): 53-67..

Author Full Name(s): Yin, Xiaoshi; Huang, Jimmy Xiangji; Li, Zhoujun
Language: English
Document Type: Article
Author Keywords: Probabilistic model; Citation analysis; Ranking; Biomedical
information retrieval

Abstract: Mining linkage information from the citation graph has been shown to
be effective in identifying important literatures. However, the question of how
to utilize linkage information from the citation graph to facilitate literature
retrieval still remains largely unanswered. In this paper, given the context of
biomedical literature retrieval, we first conduct a case study in order to find out
whether applying PageRank and HITS algorithms directly to the citation graph is
the best way of utilizing citation linkage information for improving biomedical
literature retrieval. Second, we propose a probabilistic combination framework
for integrating citation information into the content-based information retrieval
weighting model. Based on the observations of the case study, we present two
strategies for modeling the linkage information contained in the citation graph.
The proposed framework provides a theoretical support for the combination of
content and linkage information. Under this framework, exhaustive parameter
tuning can be avoided. Extensive experiments on three TREC Genomics
collections demonstrate the advantages and effectiveness of our proposed
methods. Crown Copyright (C) 2010 Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights
reserved.

Addresses: [Yin, Xiaoshi; Huang, Jimmy Xiangji] York Univ, Sch Informat
Technol, Toronto, ON M3J 2R7, Canada; [Yin, Xiaoshi; Li, Zhoujun] Beihang
Univ, Sch Comp Sci & Engn, Beijing, Peoples R China

Reprint Address: Huang, JXJ, York Univ, Sch Informat Technol, Toronto, ON M3J
2R7, Canada.

E-mail Address: xiaoshiyin at cse.buaa.edu.cn; jhuang at yorku.ca;
lizj at buaa.edu.cn
ISSN: 0306-4573
DOI: 10.1016/j.ipm.2010.03.010
URL (not open access): http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?
id=1872512&CFID=6292156&CFTOKEN=46900972