Van Campenhout, G; Van Caneghem, T. 2010. Article Contribution and Subsequent Citation Rates: Evidence from European Accounting Review. EUROPEAN ACCOUNTING REVIEW 19 (4): 837-855

Tue Jan 11 13:59:46 EST 2011

Van Campenhout, G; Van Caneghem, T. 2010. Article Contribution and
Subsequent Citation Rates: Evidence from European Accounting Review.
EUROPEAN ACCOUNTING REVIEW 19 (4): 837-855..

Author Full Name(s): Van Campenhout, Geert; Van Caneghem, Tom
Language: English
Document Type: Article
KeyWords Plus: SCIENTIFIC EXCELLENCE; JOURNAL INFLUENCE; ECONOMICS;
SCIENCE; IMPACT; PERCEPTIONS; MANAGEMENT; SALARIES; ACADEMIA;
QUALITY

Abstract: Recent investigations suggest that research assessments are mainly
based on publication counts and journal level and, hence, fail at capturing the
multifaceted nature of research performance. Instead, some commentators
indicate that focus on the article's contribution would stimulate a more
polycentric approach to research. In the current study we investigate the role
of an article's contribution on its citations. In doing this, we gather data from
European Accounting Review, an outlet that plays an instrumental role in the
dissemination of Europe-based accounting research and that holds a long
tradition of tolerance towards the use of diverse research methods and
paradigms. We employ proxies to evaluate the objective contribution of an
article as well as author reputation. Our findings suggest that articles are cited
for their contribution rather than as a result of the characteristics of their
authors. Our study also poses some suggestions to capture the multifaceted
nature of research performance.

Addresses: [Van Campenhout, Geert; Van Caneghem, Tom] Katholieke Univ
Leuven, Hogesch Univ Brussel, Louvain, Belgium; [Van Caneghem, Tom] Univ
Antwerpen UAMS, Antwerp, Belgium

Reprint Address: Van Campenhout, G, Stormstr 2, B-1000 Brussels, Belgium.
E-mail Address: geert.vancampenhout at hubrussel.be
ISSN: 0963-8180
DOI: 10.1080/09638181003687893
fulltext: http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/section?