Boyack, KW; Klavans, R. 2010. Co-Citation Analysis, Bibliographic Coupling, and Direct Citation: Which Citation Approach Represents the Research Front Most Accurately?. JASIST. 61 (12): 2389-2404

Kevin Boyack kboyack at MAPOFSCIENCE.COM
Sun Jan 9 00:34:01 EST 2011

It depends on the definition of research front. Your definition of 'where
the prospectors are working' is different than the definition of the
'leading edge of what has been indexed' used by most in bibliometrics. I
also note that many prospectors work the veins in producing mines.
Nevertheless, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to have more
information on the actual working front.

Cheers!
Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: ASIS&T Special Interest Group on Metrics
[mailto:SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU] On Behalf Of David Wojick
Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2011 11:46 AM
To: SIGMETRICS at LISTSERV.UTK.EDU
Subject: Re: [SIGMETRICS] Boyack, KW; Klavans, R. 2010. Co-Citation
Analysis, Bibliographic Coupling, and Direct Citation: Which Citation
Approach Represents the Research Front Most Accurately?. JASIST. 61 (12):
2389-2404

I would think these clustering methods were useful in finding the research
body, not the front, as it were. By the time attention clusters the front
has already passed. It is like the difference between prospectors and
miners. These clusters show us where the producing mines are, not where the
prospectors are working.

David