papers related to SIG metrics interests

Eugene Garfield eugene.garfield at THOMSONREUTERS.COM
Tue Dec 27 14:10:25 EST 2011

TITLE: Scientific Output, Social Infrastructure and Science

Policies: the Case of Small and Medium-sized Countries (Article, English)

AUTHOR: Horta, H; Veloso, FM

SOURCE: VALUE-ADDED PARTNERING AND INNOVATION IN A CHANGING

WORLD. 2009. p.42-67 PURDUE UNIV PRESS, W LAFAYETTE

SEARCH TERM(S): PRICE DJD rauth; ZUCKERMAN H rauth;

SMALL HG SOC STUD SCI 8:327 1978;

ZUCKERMA.H MINERVA 9:66 1971

KEYWORDS+: PUBLICATIONS; IMPACT; COLLABORATION; INDICATORS; PATTERNS;

NATIONS; SYSTEM

AUTHOR ADDRESS: H Horta, Univ Tecn Lisbon, Ctr Innovat Technol & Policy Res

IN, Inst Super Tecn, P-1100 Lisbon, Portugal

TITLE: Gender Trends of Urology Manuscript Authors in the United

States: A 35-Year Progression (Article, English)

AUTHOR: Weiss, DA; Kovshilovskaya, B; Breyer, BN

SOURCE: JOURNAL OF UROLOGY 187 (1). JAN 2012. p.253-258 ELSEVIER

SCIENCE INC, NEW YORK

SEARCH TERM(S): HIRSCH JE P NATL ACAD SCI USA 102:16569 2005

KEYWORDS: urology; authorship; women; manuscripts; medical;

periodicals as topic

KEYWORDS+: FEMALE AUTHORSHIP; 3 DECADES; GAP

ABSTRACT: Purpose: The presence of women in urology has gradually

increased in the last 35 years with an accelerated rate in the last decade. We evaluated manuscript authorship trends by gender. Manuscript authorship is a metric that has been used as a marker of academic productivity. We hypothesized that the number of first and last author publications by women has increased proportionately to the number of women in the field during the last 35 years.

Materials and Methods: We performed a bibliometric study to examine authorship gender in The Journal of Urology (R) and Urology (R). We reviewed all original articles published from American institutions in 1974, 1979, 1984, 1989, 1994, 1999, 2004 and 2009.

Results: Of the 8,313 articles reviewed 5,461 were from American institutions, including 97.5% for which we determined author gender.

There were 767 articles with female authors, including 440 first and 327 last authors. First and last female authorship increased from 2.7% of all authors in 1979 to 26.5% in 2009 ( test for trend p < 0.001). This authorship rate surpasses the rate of growth of women in urology, which increased from 0.24% in 1975 to 6.2% in 2008.

Conclusions: Based on authorship gender analysis women urologists produce manuscripts at a rate that exceeds their number in the field. Findings show that women in urology are productive, active members of the academic community.

AUTHOR ADDRESS: BN Breyer, Univ Calif San Francisco, Dept Urol, 400

Parnassus Ave,A610, San Francisco, CA 94143 USA

Eugene Garfield, PhD. email:  garfield at codex.cis.upenn.edu<blocked::mailto:garfield at codex.cis.upenn.edu>
home page: www.eugenegarfield.org<blocked::http://www.eugenegarfield.org/>
Tel: 610-525-8729 Fax: 610-560-4749
Chairman Emeritus, ThomsonReuters Scientific (formerly ISI)
1500 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130-4067
Editor Emeritus, The Scientist LLC. www.the-scientist.com<blocked::http://www.the-scientist.com/>
121 W 27th Street, Suite 604, New York, NY 10001
Past President, American Society for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T) www.asist.org<blocked::http://www.asist.org/>