[scisip] Knowledge, Networks, and Nations report PS

Loet Leydesdorff loet at LEYDESDORFF.NET
Sun Apr 17 02:58:47 EDT 2011

Dear colleagues,

Using the new interface of the Web-of-Science (v5), one can retrieve more
than 100,000 hits in each run (as in Scopus).

I thus redid the analysis using this interface; it resulted in the following
curves:

This data is based on calendar years 2000-2010, citable items (articles,
reviews, conference papers, and letters) in the Web-of-Science. The red line
is the linear regression line for the US, the green line for EU-27, and the
blue one for China.

My previous file of this same data was based on having collected the data
each year in January, while this one is based on all data available on April
7, 2011, and using this new interface. The (linear) fit is much improved.

Let me mention that Andrew Plume of the Scopus team published a new paper on
this subject entitled "Tipping the balance: The rise of China as a science
superpower" at

http://www.researchtrends.com/issue22-march-2011/tipping-the-balance-the-ris
e-of-china-as-a-science-superpower/. The differences are largely due to
significant differences in coverage between the two databases. Minor factors
are: 1. Using publication years or calendar years; 2. Scopus does not
include "letters" as citable items.

Best wishes,

Loet

  _____

Loet Leydesdorff

Amsterdam School of Communications Research (ASCoR),
Kloveniersburgwal 48, 1012 CX Amsterdam.
Tel.: +31-20- 525 6598; fax: +31-842239111
 <mailto:loet at leydesdorff.net> loet at leydesdorff.net ;
<http://www.leydesdorff.net/> http://www.leydesdorff.net/