Benoit, K; Marsh, M. 2009. A Relative Impact Ranking of Political Studies In Ireland. ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL REVIEW 40 (3): 269-298

Fri Apr 1 14:22:29 EDT 2011

Benoit, K; Marsh, M. 2009. A Relative Impact Ranking of Political Studies In
Ireland. ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL REVIEW 40 (3): 269-298.

Author Full Name(s): Benoit, Kenneth; Marsh, Michael
Language: English
Document Type: Article

KeyWords Plus: WEB-OF-SCIENCE; SOCIAL-SCIENCES

Abstract: Against a background of the Irish government's concerns with Key
Performance Indicators (KPIs) and the British government's wishes for a more
quantitative Research Assessment Exercise (RAE), our study conducts a
relative impact assessment of the study of politics, government, political
science, and international relations in Ireland. Impact is measured as citations
from the publications of permanent staff in eight Irish politics departments,
based on data compiled in April 2008 from two leading academic indexes - ISI's
Web of Science and Scopus - as well as the now popular Google Scholar. We
discuss some of the criticisms that naturally arise in a study of this nature.
Then, following similar exercises in other disciplines (e. g. economics), we use
the impact measures to compare and rank individual scholars as well as
departments. We also explore the extent to which the choice of different
indexes, and different measures, influences the results that we obtain. While
there are differences, in particular between indexes based purely on articles
and those that access books and other material, the results from the different
indexes are strongly correlated.

Addresses: [Benoit, Kenneth; Marsh, Michael] Trinity Coll Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reprint Address: Benoit, K, Trinity Coll Dublin, Dept Polit Sci, Dublin, Ireland.
ISSN: 0012-9984
PDF: http://www.esr.ie/Vol40_3/02Benoit.pdf