Poynard, T; Thabut, D; Munteanu, M; Ratziu, V; Benhamou, Y; Deckmyn, O. 2010. Hirsch Index and Truth Survival in Clinical Research. PLOS ONE 5 (8): art. no.-e12044

Tue Sep 21 13:42:32 EDT 2010

Poynard, T; Thabut, D; Munteanu, M; Ratziu, V; Benhamou, Y; Deckmyn, O.
2010. Hirsch Index and Truth Survival in Clinical Research. PLOS ONE 5 (8): art.
no.-e12044.

Author Full Name(s): Poynard, Thierry; Thabut, Dominique; Munteanu, Mona;
Ratziu, Vlad; Benhamou, Yves; Deckmyn, Olivier

Language: English
Document Type: Article
KeyWords Plus: H-INDEX; INDIVIDUAL SCIENTISTS; TRIALS; OUTPUT

Abstract: Background: Factors associated with the survival of truth of clinical
conclusions in the medical literature are unknown. We hypothesized that
publications with a first author having a higher Hirsch' index value (h-I), which
quantifies and predicts an individual's scientific research output, should have a
longer half-life.
Methods and Results: 474 original articles concerning cirrhosis or hepatitis
published from 1945 to 1999 were selected. The survivals of the main
conclusions were updated in 2009. The truth survival was assessed by time-
dependent methods (Kaplan Meier method and Cox). A conclusion was
considered to be true, obsolete or false when three or more observers out of
the six stated it to be so. 284 out of 474 conclusions (60%) were still
considered true, 90 (19%) were considered obsolete and 100 (21%) false. The
median of the h-I was = 24 (range 1-85). Authors with true conclusions had
significantly higher h-I (median = 28) than those with obsolete (h-I = 19; P =
0.002) or false conclusions (h-I = 19; P = 0.01). The factors associated
(P<0.0001) with h-I were: scientific life (h-I = 33 for. 30 years vs. 16 for, 30
years), -methodological quality score (h-I = 36 for high vs. 20 for low scores),
and -positive predictive value combining power, ratio of true to not-true
relationships and bias (h-I = 33 for high vs. 20 for low values). In multivariate
analysis, the risk ratio of h-I was 1.003 (95% CI, 0.994-1.011), and was not
significant (P = 0.56). In a subgroup restricted to 111 articles with a negative
conclusion, we observed a significant independent prognostic value of h-I (risk
ratio = 1.033; 95% CI, 1.008-1.059; P = 0.009). Using an extrapolation of h-I
at the time of article publication there was a significant and independent
prognostic value of baseline h-I (risk ratio = 0.027; P = 0.0001).
Conclusions: The present study failed to clearly demonstrate that the h-index
of authors was a prognostic factor for truth survival. However the h-index was
associated with true conclusions, methodological quality of trials and positive
predictive values.

Addresses: [Poynard, Thierry; Thabut, Dominique; Ratziu, Vlad; Benhamou,
Yves] Univ Paris 06, AP HP, Grp Hosp Pitie Salpetriere, Liver Ctr,Serv
Hepatogastroenterol, Paris, France; [Munteanu, Mona; Deckmyn, Olivier]
Biopredictive, Paris, France

Reprint Address: Poynard, T, Univ Paris 06, AP HP, Grp Hosp Pitie Salpetriere,
Liver Ctr,Serv Hepatogastroenterol, Paris, France.

E-mail Address: tpoynard at teaser.fr
ISSN: 1932-6203
DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0012044
fulltext: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0012044