Burgess, TF; Shaw, NE. 2010. Editorial Board Membership of Management and Business Journals: A Social Network Analysis Study of the Financial Times 40. BRITISH JOURNAL OF MANAGEMENT 21 (3): 627-648

Tue Sep 21 13:39:28 EDT 2010

Burgess, TF; Shaw, NE. 2010. Editorial Board Membership of Management and
Business Journals: A Social Network Analysis Study of the Financial Times 40.
BRITISH JOURNAL OF MANAGEMENT 21 (3): 627-648, Sp. Iss. SI..

Author Full Name(s): Burgess, Thomas F.; Shaw, Nicola E.
Language: English
Document Type: Article
KeyWords Plus: RANKINGS; SCIENCE; ORGANIZATION; DISCIPLINES;
AUTHORSHIP; KNOWLEDGE; QUALITY; SCHOOLS; SENSE; FIELD

Abstract: We apply social network analysis to editorial board membership data
for 36 of the 40 high-ranking journals forming the Financial Times list for grading
business schools. Data are presented by individuals, journals, organizations and
countries. Using cluster analysis and multidimensional scaling, journals are
allocated to academic fields. Distributions of journals, editorial board members
and business school staff by field are compared. Academics affiliated to US
organizations predominate and highly ranked US organizations occupy the top
positions for number of board memberships. Academics with high multiple board
memberships come from a more diverse set of organizations but are still
predominantly North American and male. We suggest that the domination of the
sampled journal production system by special interest groups could permit
academic patronage to prosper. We characterize the academic area of
management (and business) as a loosely connected grouping of mono-
disciplinary fields. Organization behaviour, strategy and enterprise/small
business fields are over-represented in the Financial Times list while
accounting, finance, marketing and operations research/management
information systems are under-represented. We argue that domination by an
elite and its fragmented mono-disciplinarity is not healthy for the management
academic area.

Addresses: [Burgess, Thomas F.; Shaw, Nicola E.] Univ Leeds, Sch Business,
Leeds LS2 9JT, W Yorkshire, England

Reprint Address: Burgess, TF, Univ Leeds, Sch Business, Maurice Keyworth
Bldg, Leeds LS2 9JT, W Yorkshire, England.

E-mail Address: tfb at lubs.leeds.ac.uk
ISSN: 1045-3172
DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8551.2010.00701.x
fulltext: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-