Alonso-Arbiol, I; van de Vijver, FJR. 2010. A Historical Analysis of the European Journal of Psychological Assessment A Comparison of the Earliest (1992-1996) and the Latest Years (2005-2009). EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSESSMENT 26 (4): 238-247

Wed Oct 27 15:12:00 EDT 2010

Alonso-Arbiol, I; van de Vijver, FJR. 2010. A Historical Analysis of the European
Journal of Psychological Assessment A Comparison of the Earliest (1992-1996)
and the Latest Years (2005-2009). EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF PSYCHOLOGICAL
ASSESSMENT 26 (4): 238-247.

Author Full Name(s): Alonso-Arbiol, Itziar; van de Vijver, Fons J. R.
Language: English
Document Type: Article

Author Keywords: European Journal of Psychological Assessment; psychological
assessment; historical analysis; content analysis; authorship location
KeyWords Plus: IMPLICIT SELF-CONCEPT; PREDICTIVE-VALIDITY; FACTORIAL
STRUCTURE; CONVERGENT; COMPETENCE; VALIDATION; GUIDELINES; VERSION

Abstract: We conducted a historical analysis of the articles published in the
first (1992-1996) and last 5 years (2005-2009) of the European Journal of
Psychological Assessment (EJPA), mainly on the basis of an analysis of
abstracts and keywords of articles. We dealt with the impact of EJPA, the main
characteristics of its articles, its evolution, and to what extent main features in
psychological assessment are represented in the journal. EJPA is a journal with
a steadily rising impact factor that is relatively high for the field of assessment.
Authorship is mainly European and coauthors usually come from the same
country. The personality domain has gained popularity at the expense of
cognition and education. Questionnaires are the most often and increasingly
popular assessment method; there is also a tendency to employ multiple
instruments and methods, and computerized assessment. More recent volumes
have fewer substance-oriented and more measurement-oriented studies,
notably studies in which validity is addressed by factor-analytic procedures.
The incomplete coverage of recent developments in psychological assessment
is discussed.

Addresses: [Alonso-Arbiol, Itziar] Univ Basque Country, Fac Psychol, E-20018
San Sebastian, Spain; [Alonso-Arbiol, Itziar; van de Vijver, Fons J. R.] Tilburg
Univ, Tilburg, Netherlands; [van de Vijver, Fons J. R.] North W Univ, Tilburg,
Netherlands

Reprint Address: Alonso-Arbiol, I, Univ Basque Country, Fac Psychol, E-20018
San Sebastian, Spain.

E-mail Address: itziar.alonso at ehu.es
ISSN: 1015-5759
DOI: 10.1027/1015-5759/a000032