Davis study still lacks self-selection control group (and the sample is still small)

Ludo Waltman ludo at LUDOWALTMAN.NL
Thu Nov 25 13:30:48 EST 2010

There is an essential difference between what Stevan Harnad says and
what I am saying. Stevan states that the results of Phil Davis can be
interpreted as "simply the failure to detect any citation advantage at
all". He also states that "this failure to replicate is almost
certainly due to the small sample size as well as the short
time-span". We seem to agree that no OA citation advantage can be
detected in Phil's data. What we do not agree about is whether or not
this is likely to be caused by a small sample size. As indicated in my
only that there is no OA citation advantage in his sample, but also
that an OA citation advantage of reasonable size is unlikely to exist
in the underlying population.

Ludo Waltman